News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Computer and Ipod Syncing Question

Started by Juliet, May 13, 2011, 09:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juliet

I have an older Ipod and recently Best Buy said I had a computer virus that had to result in restoring the computer to factory settings.  Since I didn't want to pay $99 to "save" my itunes library, they wiped it out.

Now I have the ipod with the music on it.  When I downloaded the Itunes software, I tried plugging in the Ipod.  I tried to sync it to the computer.  The error I got was that it was already activated with 5 computers.  This may be the kids' laptops and our previous computer and the computer that was just restored to factory settings.

When I look online, it says to deactivate some of the other computers.  I cannot get this function to show me the other computers or have the deactivate button work.  I do not want to lose the songs I've already purchased and downloaded on this ipod.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.
Train a child in the way that he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.   Proverbs 22:6

buzz

Quote from: Juliet on May 13, 2011, 09:16:40 PM
I have an older Ipod and recently Best Buy said I had a computer virus that had to result in restoring the computer to factory settings.
I cannot help but I have a something to tell you.  The only thing that Geek Squad knows how to do is restore; they fix nothing.
I posted about a problem here several weeks ago and within 6 posts people identified the source, and the fixes.  The Geeks wanted to restore everything to factory settings.  Ptooey !

I wish you luck.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

jfrickind

I would call one of the Apple stores.

With that being said, you can deactivate all computers and then just activate them again with the same iPod - Transfer purchases.

There is freeware called Recuva from piriform that will recover everything off an iPod and put it in a usable folder.  Pretty amazing stuff - works on SD cards too - even "deleted" ones.

I had the same thing happen and lost everything on my computer.  I started using Carbonite online backup.  I love it.  Anytime I need a file I pull it up on my phone and email it to myself.  It's nice.  $55 a year.

JD

OakParkSpartan

You can also stop at an apple store and talk to the Genius bar.  Setup an appointment online first though.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

dukesdad

There is an option in iTunes to "deactivate all computers". Do that, then re-activate them one at a time, beginning with the one you are trying to rebuild. You might need to suck the music off the iPod with a program like Senuti and then reload it into your new iTunes library.