News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Why Norton

Started by buzz, June 03, 2011, 09:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzz

I'm spending too much time w/tech supp.  Their online updates cancel.  Not the downloads, but the actual upgrade process (that keeps your rules current) fails to complete.  It's always the "White List" whatever the hell that is.
Any advice on alternatives ?  MacAfee ? Webroot ?
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

dukesdad

psychomom

A Mac would be nice, but in the meantime....

I have Avira antivirus.......pretty good so far..it's inexpensive. It was recommended by the guy who fixes our computer. He also installed for us the free version of Super Anti-Spyware and and the free version of Malwarbytes. The Avira updates itself, and you can program scan times. I scan my system once a week with all of the above.  So far so good.  One time my son clicked on one of those fake security scan bugs and I ran a virus scan and it was taken care of.

Previously I had Norton 360 and ended up with several viruses it couldn't get rid of.
"He who opens a school door closes a prison"

Victor Hugo

PamF

If you have internet supplied by Comcast, they give you Norton security for free.

buzz

It got it free for 6 mos.  Don't think I want to prolong the agaony.

billyjean

buzz, I hear your pain.  When I bought my computer couple years ago, I told them to get rid of everything having to do with Norton on the computer.  It's a bully product and seems to like to sabotage your use of the computer.  I have webroot ... it never bothers me every two seconds like Norton did with buying another updated thing or another, or whatever bs they were selling.  It seems the only thing Norton did well was to badger you to buy more stuff.

I swear by Webroot.  It stays quiet, does it's job, and doesn't bother me to buy more products every other Tuesday.  I have Vista and it works well within the protection the computer itself has, so all I can say is ... the faster you separate from Norton the better off you are.  I'm sure those that get Norton free with Comcast are not bothered as much because you are already paying for Norton through your internet service with Comcast.  If you don't have a partnership relationship like a Comcast/Norton, and just install Norton on your own, you will be buying a box full of aggravation.  That said, you can see you are already experiencing probs with Norton updating.  It's maddening.  It will say you have to update ... you say go ahead ... it starts and then says ... oh boy, update unsuccessful.  Now you're spending time trying to remedy that.  You shouldn't have to and those techs don't get you any closer to solving the big mystery.   MacAffe is a close second to Norton in the aggravation department.  

buzz

Quote from: billyjean on June 10, 2011, 05:58:37 PM
 It will say you have to update ... you say go ahead ... it starts and then says ... oh boy, update unsuccessful.  Now you're spending time trying to remedy that.
You nailed it !
Thanks,  I'll check out Webroot.

watcher

Quote from: buzz on June 10, 2011, 09:19:20 PM
 It will say you have to update ... you say go ahead ... it starts and then says ... oh boy, update unsuccessful.  Now you're spending time trying to remedy that.
You nailed it !
Thanks,  I'll check out Webroot.

I use Avast free A/V http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download
I also use CCleaner regularly to eliminate messy yellow build-up. http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

Word of caution on -trying- to remove Norton. It will assume you are a virus and will fight you to retain control.
After using their uninstall option, it's best to run Ccleaner to get rid of any lingering evidence of Norton.

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

buzz

Quote from: watcher on June 11, 2011, 08:13:51 AM
Word of caution on -trying- to remove Norton. It will assume you are a virus and will fight you to retain control.
After using their uninstall option, it's best to run Ccleaner to get rid of any lingering evidence of Norton.
Thanks.  So is it best to remove Norton before installing any replacement ?

billyjean

Quote from: buzz on June 11, 2011, 09:40:21 AM

Yes.  Buzz, my recommendation rather than purchase online (if you're going with Webroot) is to buy it at Best Buy.  Talk with a Tech there on how to effectively and completely remove Norton.  They very often tell you stuff you didn't think about. 

watcher

Quote from: buzz on June 11, 2011, 09:40:21 AM

Yes. Absolutely. The conflict of competing A/V programs can be a nightmare.

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

buzz

Bonster

MacAffe is a close second to Norton in the aggravation department.  

And robbing of resources.  Norton has always been known as a CPU/memory hog, as well as McAfee and a few others out there. 
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Noble Falcon

What does everyone think of Cyber Defender?

Mr. Daniel Lumis

Late to the discussion here but if you value your time, get a Mac. Yes, it costs more upfront but you will discover you get more work done and you don't mess around with updates, viruses, crash and burn, etc. You save so much more time and aggravation it is worth it. Have not looked back after two years. Old computer now a giant paperweight. Regarding updates: the mac tells you "hey, updates are available" and you agree to get the updates. Computer does all the work for you, in the right order (unlike Windows patches) and with no fuss. Then it's done and you get back to work. If you take the plunge, also get the extended warranty. I know, it costs more but it's worth it. We had a drive go flaky on us and they gave us a bigger one for free. Brought it home, plugged it in, computer said: "hey do you want to restore from your backup?" Sure! An hour later it was like new. Try that with a Windows machine. Just my 2 cents...

dukesdad

LowLevelOwl

So buy a $2000 piece of equipment to fix a $50 dollar problem!  Great idea!

And with all the problems I'm reading about Lion; it's not as green on the other side as they're are making it out to be.

Mr. Daniel; how are updates different on Windows than on OS X?  You basically explained the way updates are done in Windows.

Backups are good if you set them up; no matter what platform you're one.  I have backups running on my Windows 7 machine and although not as easy as Daniel makes it sound; I restored my data in less than 45 minutes.

Windows and OS X will work the same for anyone that knows how to use the operating system.

PS:  I suggest using Microsoft Security Essentials, it works great and it's free!!!!!!!

watcher

Nothing is foolproof. Fools are ingenious.

dukesdad

I have about 70 macs at the office and 1 PC. I spend as much if not more time messing with the 1 PC as I do the 70 Macs.

LowLevelOwl

I manage over 200 PC's and only "mess" with them when they have hardware problems.  I once owned a macbook and it was a pain from day one.