News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Why Norton

Started by buzz, June 03, 2011, 09:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

watcher

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

Mr. Daniel Lumis

Quote from: LowLevelOwl on August 08, 2011, 09:28:50 AM
So buy a $2000 piece of equipment to fix a $50 dollar problem!  Great idea!

And with all the problems I'm reading about Lion; it's not as green on the other side as they're are making it out to be.

Mr. Daniel; how are updates different on Windows than on OS X?  You basically explained the way updates are done in Windows.

Backups are good if you set them up; no matter what platform you're one.  I have backups running on my Windows 7 machine and although not as easy as Daniel makes it sound; I restored my data in less than 45 minutes.

Windows and OS X will work the same for anyone that knows how to use the operating system.

PS:  I suggest using Microsoft Security Essentials, it works great and it's free!!!!!!!

Sounds like MS improved its process since I last dealt with it. I still think the UNIX underlying OS X is more stable. The other advantage Apple has is they control hardware and software development. I realize Windows machines are less costly initially, but in my experience, it hasn't been worth it, at least not since I lost interest in geeking out just to get something simple accomplished. I use a Macbook Pro and it has been pretty reliable. Have had no problems with it yet, but nothing lasts forever. Also have an iMac, which has been pretty great too. When we switched to Macs, we kept our wireless router which had worked fine with the PCs but couldn't deal with the Macs. The apple router ($169) cost more but worked from day one. I know you can get routers for $29 but I just don't have the will in me any more to mess with this stuff all the time. My time is worth too much to keep flipping switches. When I did IT, it was part of my day; it was easy to keep up. Now, not so much. I've moved on to other interests. Glad you like the PC. My advice should perhaps be: if you have the knowledge and the time, you can save money by using a PC. Otherwise, try Mac. Do I base my spiritual world around this choice? Nope.

dualref

Symantic has a Norton Anti-Virus removal tool for free on their website. You simply uninstall Norton and then run the tool. Within 5 minutes all traces of Norton is cleared from your hard disk and windows registry.

While Mac is good, I still like to have total control over my PC. For me Mac just does too much automatically. Which is probably good for most people.

dualref

I just want to report something strange with the Norton 360 product.

I have a customer who has one of my machines (about 3 years old) and Norton gave a warning "There is a problem with your hard disk, please call Symantec at 1-800-XXX-XXXX"

So the customer called Symantec and was told that there was something wrong with her hard disk. The only way to fix it was to call The Geek Squad and they could send somebody out to her house to fix it for her for only $250.00. She said she'd bring the computer in to me and they insisted that ONLY The Geek Squad could fix it.

So we ran Windows diagnostics and found no problems. She keeps this computer backed up to an external hard disk once a month and has not received any warnings or degraded performance with this hard disk at all. But about once per week Norton 360 sends her this message.

To me this causes concern over the Norton product. And why was Norton so insistent that she uses The Geek Squad. Why is it that only THEY can fix the problem?

dukesdad

Because they are in cahoots with Best Buy.

watcher

New Twist to Online Tech Support Scam

The IC3 continues to receive complaints reporting telephone calls from individuals claiming to be with Tech Support from a well-known software company. The callers have very strong accents and use common names such as "Adam" or "Bill." Callers report the user's computer is sending error messages, and a virus has been detected. In order to gain access to the user's computer, the caller claims that only their company can resolve the issue.

The caller convinces the user to grant them the authority to run a program to scan their operating system. Users witness the caller going through their files as the caller claims they are showing how the virus has infected their computer.

Users are told the virus could be removed for a fee and are asked for their credit card details. Those who provide the caller remote access to their computers, whether they paid for the virus to be removed or not, report difficulties with their computer afterwards; either their computers would not turn on or certain programs/files were inaccessible.

Some report taking their computers to local technicians for repair and the technicians confirmed software had been installed. However, no other details were provided.

In a new twist to this scam, it was reported that a user's computer screen turned blue, and eventually black, prior to receiving the call from Tech Support offering to fix their computer. At this time, it has not been determined if this is related to the telephone call or if the user had been experiencing prior computer problems.
http://www.ic3.gov/media/2013/130107.aspx
"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

berwynson

We have AVG, free, they call it a "trial" download, but it seems to persist in force forever, have had it since July. It has been very effective, calls out threats detected, sticks them in a "vault", where you can look at them, if you like. Try it! 
berwynson

http://www.avg.com/us-en/trustav_bt_ppc?ECID=ad:bi:se:US-EN-SCH-AVG-Free&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=avg%20free%20download&utm_content=&utm_campaign=US-EN-SCH-AVG%20Free

PamF

dualref

I just had a computer come in today with the anemone.tv Google virus. Whenever you try to go to any website it redirects you to a very crude image of a snowman. The image looks like it was created on a regular typewriter.  BTW, the computer used the AVG anti-virus.

After spending a few hours throwing every known anti-virus tool at it, I gave up and reformatted
the hard disk and since the customer didn't have a back up. But this computer was used only  for web browsing and e-mails only I was able to save the e-mails, address books and bookmarks.

I'm just sayin'...

watcher

Quote from: dualref on March 07, 2013, 01:57:05 AM
I just had a computer come in today with the anemone.tv Google virus. Whenever you try to go to any website it redirects you to a very crude image of a snowman. The image looks like it was created on a regular typewriter.  BTW, the computer used the AVG anti-virus.

After spending a few hours throwing every known anti-virus tool at it, I gave up and reformatted
the hard disk and since the customer didn't have a back up. But this computer was used only  for web browsing and e-mails only I was able to save the e-mails, address books and bookmarks. I'm just sayin'...

Nothing is foolproof. Fools are ingenious.

A/V protection is vital.
I switched from AVG to Avast several years ago when it seemed as though AVG had become a target. Norton and M$oft IE are still the dominant platforms being hacked for exploits and virii.

Both, IMO, should only be used by advanced users who can tweak and interpret their programs' behaviors.
The "default" settings of IE are configured to M$oft's Corporate advantage. Norton's defaults are overly protective to an extreme.

Anyone who uses the internet needs to understand more than point and click. A/V programs are like air bags in cars. Great to have, but no sense TRYING to make them deploy.

dualref

That's the problem, most people just "use" their computer and have no idea what warning messages mean or care to know.

Several years ago I used Kasperski Anti Virus. I found it to be good but it was "noisy". It put out a message every few minutes about what the computer was doing. And the messages were not user friendly to people who only know how to "use" their computer. All those messages did was confuse them and even worse antagonized them. Most people just want their computers to "work" with minimal intervention on the their part.

Here is a funny story that happened to me back in the early 80's.
I had a woman call that said a few weeks ago she bought an IBM PC AT. It's her first computer.
But she had a problem with it. I asked her what the problem was. She said when she turns it on all she sees on the screen is a C:\ and that's all. I told her that is normal and she needs to type in the name of a program to make it do anything. Her response? "Well the salesman told me it could do anything I wanted it to do. So I am waiting for it to do my house inventory, manage my checking account and keep track of my prescriptions and it's not doing any of that. I'm still waiting for it to do something!
I told her to go and see the salesman that sold it to her.  Yes, true story!