News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Another Parking Rant/Rave

Started by RockabillyMillie, June 13, 2011, 05:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PamF

Wow, guy parks on the street for a month with no tickets.  SOOOO glad FP (with all it's issues) does not allow overnight parking for more than 5 days in a calendar month.  But then his flimsy excuse for parking there.  Clean out the damn garage!  Does he live close by or did he travel far to park it not in front of his house?

~LL~

Quote from: justme on August 09, 2011, 11:02:15 AM
Sorry for the lack of update but the owner FINALLY came and moved it about 2 weeks ago. I was able to catch him when he was doing so and he told me that he was on vacation the past month and just returned. I tried to play off as being the "good guy" by telling him that he should get a vehicle sticker,etc so he doesn't get a ticket. He told me that he couldn't afford one and that he didn't buy one last year and never had an issue. Then I told him that there have been break-ins,etc and that he needed to be careful and should have kept  his car in his garage but said tha the couldn't because he had no room to fit a car in there because he used his car for storage.

Ok, what is wrong with this picture???  ???

Priorities is what is wrong.  Had $$'s for a vacay - but not a lousey few bucks for a vehicle sticker.  Geeze... Maybe if he had a GARAGE SALE and literally emptied his garage -- not only would have $$'s for a sticker but a freakin place to park.  Priorities...either ppl got 'em or they don't I guess...
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

justme

Quote from: ~LL~ on August 09, 2011, 11:42:25 AM
Sorry for the lack of update but the owner FINALLY came and moved it about 2 weeks ago. I was able to catch him when he was doing so and he told me that he was on vacation the past month and just returned. I tried to play off as being the "good guy" by telling him that he should get a vehicle sticker,etc so he doesn't get a ticket. He told me that he couldn't afford one and that he didn't buy one last year and never had an issue. Then I told him that there have been break-ins,etc and that he needed to be careful and should have kept  his car in his garage but said tha the couldn't because he had no room to fit a car in there because he used his car for storage.

Priorities is what is wrong.  Had $$'s for a vacay - but not a lousey few bucks for a vehicle sticker.  Geeze... Maybe if he had a GARAGE SALE and literally emptied his garage -- not only would have $$'s for a sticker but a freakin place to park.  Priorities...either ppl got 'em or they don't I guess...

Yep, my thoughts exactly! Makes me mad 'cause I buy a vehicle sticker every year and fo rthe amount of time I actually park on a Berwyn street, I could technically use a guest parking pass. I don't even need one and yet I buy mine because I wil be the one to get nabbed if I don't.

truman40

Ok let's rant!!
We have a family that has lived on our block for over 2 years and own 2 huge SUVs and have never had a city sticker. As a matter of fact they don't even have IL license plates. For over the last 2 years they've had Colorado plates on their car. And before they moved to Berwyn they lived in Riverside so they have gotten away with having invalid plates and stickers for years! At first they used the old guest parking sign and now they use the new ones that hang off the mirror.
What's' really frustrating is;
A) There is a severe lack of available parking on our block and forget Thursdays and Fridays when there is street cleaning.
B) We received a ticket one year for having too many city stickers on our car  :-[
We've called the Police, we have contacted the Alderman and I even waited one morning for the parking enforcement lady to come by on a Thursday (street cleaning day) and told her to come back on any other evening and she'll find these 2 cars parked in front of their house. These people always manage to move thier cars out of the area on the days they know parking enforcement comes around.
It's to the point now where it's just ridiculous!
Shop Local
www.the350project.net

Terri

Quote from: truman40 on August 09, 2011, 12:21:56 PM
Ok let's rant!!
We have a family that has lived on our block for over 2 years and own 2 huge SUVs and have never had a city sticker. As a matter of fact they don't even have IL license plates. For over the last 2 years they've had Colorado plates on their car. And before they moved to Berwyn they lived in Riverside so they have gotten away with having invalid plates and stickers for years! At first they used the old guest parking sign and now they use the new ones that hang off the mirror.
A) There is a severe lack of available parking on our block and forget Thursdays and Fridays when there is street cleaning.
B) We received a ticket one year for having too many city stickers on our car  :-[
We've called the Police, we have contacted the Alderman and I even waited one morning for the parking enforcement lady to come by on a Thursday (street cleaning day) and told her to come back on any other evening and she'll find these 2 cars parked in front of their house. These people always manage to move thier cars out of the area on the days they know parking enforcement comes around.

Correction truman, Texas plates.  How the He** did they obtain guest parking passes if they didn't purchase stickers?  Btw, he moves the Cadillac SUV to Stanley, in front of George's.  

billyjean

Quote from: justme on August 09, 2011, 11:54:55 AM

Yep, my thoughts exactly! Makes me mad 'cause I buy a vehicle sticker every year and fo rthe amount of time I actually park on a Berwyn street, I could technically use a guest parking pass. I don't even need one and yet I buy mine because I wil be the one to get nabbed if I don't.

justme, you do need one whether you park on the street or not.  If you are stopped for ANY reason in Berwyn, and you don't have the sticker, you will be ticketed.  I park in my garage, but I know I need the sticker in case I am stopped.

Diona

Terri you can get guest passes without having a vehicle sticker.  My husband & I don't own a car, but when we rented a car last year & this year again, we went to get the guest passes so that we could park the car on the street without getting a ticket.  We just needed a valid drivers license along with a bill that have the address of where we live.

So that could be what those neighbors are doing in order to park.  Not fair or right at all, but I'm guessing many people are doing that & getting away with it.  :angry8:

justme

Quote from: billyjean on August 09, 2011, 12:37:47 PM
Quote from: justme on August 09, 2011, 11:54:55 AM

justme, you do need one whether you park on the street or not.  If you are stopped for ANY reason in Berwyn, and you don't have the sticker, you will be ticketed.  I park in my garage, but I know I need the sticker in case I am stopped.

Oh I know...but so many don't and get away with it. But like I said, I would be the one to get caught.

truman40

Quote from: Terri on August 09, 2011, 12:32:47 PM
Ok let's rant!!
B) We received a ticket one year for having too many city stickers on our car  :-[

Correction truman, Texas plates.  How the He** did they obtain guest parking passes if they didn't purchase stickers?  Btw, he moves the Cadillac SUV to Stanley, in front of George's.  

I'm sorry Terri your right they are Texas plates. They do have frequent guests staying for weeks at a time with Colordao plates and another with New York plates.
Shop Local
www.the350project.net

MindoverMatter

I love it most when people park commerical vehicles over night and receive no ticket.  When I parked a commerical vehicle in front my house at 5:30am because I worked all night I came out at 6:30 and found a ticket!  WTH is that!

~LL~

Quote from: truman40 on August 09, 2011, 08:22:26 PM
Quote from: Terri on August 09, 2011, 12:32:47 PM
Ok let's rant!!

a through.
I'm sorry Terri your right they are Texas plates. They do have frequent guests staying for weeks at a time with Colordao plates and another with New York plates.

Are these "visitors" using a "Visitors' pass"  Should be hanging from their RV mirror.  If not, overnight patrols can ticket them.

pcm1112

Forgive me if I'm repeating, I haven't gone back throught this whole thread....

How do they police the visitor's parking tags?  What stops someone from using it instead of purchasing additional city stickers? 

There's a van on my block that has been using one for weeks.  Is there a limit to how many times a vehicle can use it? 

If not, what's the point?

~LL~

Quote from: pcm1112 on August 16, 2011, 07:27:41 AM

How do they police the visitor's parking tags?  What stops someone from using it instead of purchasing additional city stickers? 

There's a van on my block that has been using one for weeks.  Is there a limit to how many times a vehicle can use it? 

Indeed, some people will abuse this pass and risk getting a $100.00 ticket (which compounds to $200.00 after 10 days) instead of buying a Berwyn vehicle sticker.  Beats me as to why some do this vs. changing their info with the SOS when they move to Berwyn and just getting a sticker!  As to your question -- the matter of enforcement here is actually dependant on either a neighbor reporting possible abuse of visitor pass -- or regular patrolperson taking note and ticketing after seeing vehicle repeatedly parked on a certain block with only the visitors pass.  The burdon of proof will be on the vehicle owner to provee he/she is not a Berwyn resident. Oh,and there  is another fine for "Misuse of visitor's pass"...thus proving it is usualy cheaper to do "the right thing".
Consider taking note of license plate  and calling Berwyn PD and reporting possible abuse of pass.  Best to call late evening - if, of course, you see vehicle parked on your block.  Also ask for night shift to check your block for "any and all" violations -- but point this one out specifically. 

Homebody

Thanks LL for giving ppl the rules and way to contact the police to aid in enforcement. Marge

buzz

Is the price of auto insurance an issue ?  I don't know, but maybe our rates are higher here ?
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

dukesdad

QuoteIs the price of auto insurance an issue

My guess is these are the folks that don't buy insurance.

~LL~

Quote from: dukesdad on August 17, 2011, 09:44:53 AM
QuoteIs the price of auto insurance an issue

My guess is these are the folks that don't buy insurance.
+1!

Diona

My husband brought home the company van last night.  He & another guy are going out to Milwaukee today on an install.

We used the visitor pass we got for this year & parked it on the side street.  He parked it too far down for his liking (he was worried about the stuff in the van).  So later on after 7pm, we went out & moved it to the vacin parkway.  There is 2 hour parking & then from 9pm til 9am vehicles can be parked all night without having to move them.  So we were good moving it & parking it after 7 last night.

Luckily though, we did things right, we didn't get a ticket.  We still had the parking pass & also parked it at the right time to be OK without getting a ticket.  The best thing is he slept better last night knowing the van was parked closer to home, he was pretty worried about it on the side street.

I think we FINALLY got it down pat when we do have access to a car for a day or 2...thank goodness, don't want another ticket ever again.

Terri

Quote from: ~LL~ on August 17, 2011, 12:31:47 AM

Indeed, some people will abuse this pass and risk getting a $100.00 ticket (which compounds to $200.00 after 10 days) instead of buying a Berwyn vehicle sticker.  Beats me as to why some do this vs. changing their info with the SOS when they move to Berwyn and just getting a sticker!  As to your question -- the matter of enforcement here is actually dependant on either a neighbor reporting possible abuse of visitor pass -- or regular patrolperson taking note and ticketing after seeing vehicle repeatedly parked on a certain block with only the visitors pass.  The burdon of proof will be on the vehicle owner to provee he/she is not a Berwyn resident. Oh,and there  is another fine for "Misuse of visitor's pass"...thus proving it is usualy cheaper to do "the right thing".
Consider taking note of license plate  and calling Berwyn PD and reporting possible abuse of pass.  Best to call late evening - if, of course, you see vehicle parked on your block.  Also ask for night shift to check your block for "any and all" violations -- but point this one out specifically.

What exactly is a misuse of visitor's pass?  LL explained the rules well however what one thinks is misuse may not be according to the ordinance. 

In a perfect Berwyn, a guest parks overnight then returns the visitor tag to the owner and leaves town.  I have seen cars driving outside of Berwyn with a visitor tag hanging from the mirror, misuse?  A car parks on our block during the day using the visitor tag of a neighbor, misuse?  Visiting daily, I honestly don't know?  Do I call?

Has anyone else noticed cars outside Berwyn's limits with the visitor tag in the mirror?  Maybe they are visitors yet I've noticed this too many times and thought it may be an interesting discussion.   

Matryoshka

Quote from: Terri on January 31, 2012, 04:19:32 PM
Quote from: ~LL~ on August 17, 2011, 12:31:47 AM

What exactly is a misuse of visitor's pass?  LL explained the rules well however what one thinks is misuse may not be according to the ordinance. 

In a perfect Berwyn, a guest parks overnight then returns the visitor tag to the owner and leaves town.  I have seen cars driving outside of Berwyn with a visitor tag hanging from the mirror, misuse?  A car parks on our block during the day using the visitor tag of a neighbor, misuse?  Visiting daily, I honestly don't know?  Do I call?

Has anyone else noticed cars outside Berwyn's limits with the visitor tag in the mirror?  Maybe they are visitors yet I've noticed this too many times and thought it may be an interesting discussion.

Misuse of vis pass is more along the lines of  someone who resides in Berwyn, utilizing a vis pass (either from a neighbor or from having purchased one vehicle tag for another vehicle, therefore you would have your 2 issued vis passes) to avoid the cost of having to purchase a (nother) Berwyn vehicle tag...but there can be a few types of "misuse", i.e. a photo copy of one, or using a friend's vis pass on a zoned/residential street during the day (day in and day out) and catching the train (to avoid the cost of a permit to park by the train)...
I too have seen Berwyn Visitor Passes dangling from mirrors in other suburbs, and all over Berwyn as well...to me that says they are not "visitors" in the true sense of the word...they are "permanents", therefore they really should get their own vehicle tags...usually a good indication that someone is residing here and NOT visiting, is when their name is on the mailbox, and you see their car parked over night for weeks on end...I know the economy sucks but c'mon people, I make all my kids get their Berwyn vehicle tags, so everyone else should too. It ends up costing them more $ in the long run...and eventually they'll get booted if the tickets are unpaid