News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

books for high school/summer reading

Started by teenabeena, June 22, 2011, 02:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teenabeena

I'm looking to borrow or buy for cheap the following books for my 2 kids to read for Morton's upcoming AP English class in the fall. Libraries sometimes don't let you renew if books are on the reading list & I need to send some with my son who is working in Northern Wisconsin at the Boy Scout Camp for the next 8 weeks.

Crime & Punishment by Dostoyevsky (2 copies please)

Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck

Madame Bovary by Flaubert

Thanks!

dukesdad

Did you try the library? Not being a smart ass, just wondering.

~LL~

Quote from: teenabeena on June 22, 2011, 02:48:32 PM
I'm looking to borrow or buy for cheap the following books for my 2 kids to read for Morton's upcoming AP English class in the fall. Libraries sometimes don't let you renew if books are on the reading list & I need to send some with my son who is working in Northern Wisconsin at the Boy Scout Camp for the next 8 weeks.

Crime & Punishment by Dostoyevsky (2 copies please)

Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck

Madame Bovary by Flaubert

Thanks!

Give Half-Price Books in Countryside a try -- lots in the store and you can also order online: http://www.hpbmarketplace.com/booksearch?binding=&mtype=B&keyword=grapes+of+wrath.

If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

teenabeena

Got 3 books from my daughter today from the library, but can't be sure they will let me renew them if others place a hold on them.

My son (working at boy scout camp 6 hours away) will definitely need the books for 7 or so weeks - no way for me to get them back until he returns in August. That's why i didn't want to get his from the library.

I didn't know half price books in countryside had online ordering. I stopped at the store yesterday, but no luck. I will look online - thanks!

dukesdad

I guess I'd figure out what the fine is going to be if I returned them late to the library. Then hope the library doesn't send the library police up to Wisconsin after your son. Those library police are a mean bunch.

psychomom

I used to get my daughter's books from Amazon and use free super saver shipping (if you order $25 or more) and then you don't have the headaches of running all over town trying to find what you need.
Borders.com  has free shipping on over $25 too..and has paperbacks buy one get one 1/2 off right now.
"He who opens a school door closes a prison"

Victor Hugo

watcher

Quote from: teenabeena on June 22, 2011, 05:59:10 PM
Got 3 books from my daughter today from the library, but can't be sure they will let me renew them if others place a hold on them.

My son (working at boy scout camp 6 hours away) will definitely need the books for 7 or so weeks - no way for me to get them back until he returns in August. That's why i didn't want to get his from the library.

You might want to contact the high school's library. They typically have copies of reading list books and are in summer lull mode that would make an 8 week due date possible. The one caveat is that sometimes bad things happen to books at boy scout camp, you might end up having to replace them.

I checked my copies. None would handle a trip to camp. Sorry. 40 year old trade paperbacks aren't known for their aging well.

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

teenabeena

Thanks for all the advice.  I took a chance at the Goodwill yesterday & actually found the books my son needs  - and for less than a dollar each! Took a bit of searching, my eyes were going batty!

Thanks again!

~LL~

Quote from: teenabeena on June 23, 2011, 10:06:43 AM
Thanks for all the advice.  I took a chance at the Goodwill yesterday & actually found the books my son needs  - and for less than a dollar each! Took a bit of searching, my eyes were going batty!

Thanks again!

Great!  Must have been your lucky day.  2nd-Hand stores are a wonderful resource for books - just do not often see 'the classics' there.  Glad they were there for you.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

iamvika

I might have some of the books listed. Let me know if you need any more (and which).

teenabeena

I managed to find the books I needed for the kids. Thanks anyway!