News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

The Sociopath Next Door

Started by OICU812, July 05, 2011, 12:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OICU812

billyjean

Hmmmm, I bet that book is interesting.  Here is a website someone sent to for consideration during the Anthony trial.  It has a whole list of questions you can ask yourself to aid in detecting a sociopath that may be within your midst.

http://www.youmeworks.com/sociopaths.html

How to Spot:

1. Do you often feel used by the person?

2. Have you often felt that he (or she, because women can be sociopaths too) doesn't care about you?

3. Does he lie and deceive you?

4. Does he tend to make contradictory statements?

5. Does he tend to take from you and not give back much?

6. Does he often appeal to pity? Does he seem to try to make you feel sorry for him?

7. Does he try to make you feel guilty?

8. Do you sometimes feel he is taking advantage of your good nature?

9. Does he seem easily bored and need constant stimulation?

10. Does he use a lot of flattery? Does he interact with you in a way that makes you feel flattered even if he says nothing overtly complimentary?

11. Does he make you feel worried? Does he do it obviously or more cleverly and sneakily?

12. Does he give you the impression you owe him?

13. Does he chronically fail to take responsibility for harming others? Does he blame everyone and everything but himself?

And does he do these things far more than the other people in your life? If you answered "yes" to many of these, you may be dealing with a sociopath. For sure you're dealing with someone who isn't good for you, whatever you want to call him.

I like Martha Stout's way of detecting sociopaths. She wrote: "If ... you find yourself often pitying someone who consistently hurts you or other people, and who actively campaigns for your sympathy, the chances are close to one hundred percent that you are dealing with a sociopath."

Here's a summary of Common Everyday Sociopaths:

1. They make you feel sorry for them.

2. They make you feel worried or afraid.

3. They give you the impression you owe them.

4. They make you feel used.

5. Sometimes you suspect they don't care about you.

6. They lie to you and deceive you.

7. They take a lot from you and give back very little.

8. They make you feel guilty (and use that to manipulate you).

9. They take advantage of your kindness.

10. They are easily bored and need constant stimulation.

11. They don't take responsibility, but place blame elsewhere."

It also has an interesting section of what sociopaths want.

buzz

bj, This quote is from your link:
"Oxytocin is a naturally-produced hormone that creates feelings of closeness, comfort, relaxation, empathy for others, and trust."

The hormone is secreted by many mammals.  When women are lactating (breast feeding) the oxytocin levels shoot off the charts.  And, dogs sense it at any level !  It's totally unrelated to sociopathy but it's a damn good read.

http://www.theotherendoftheleash.com/oxytocin-increases-when-your-dog-looks-at-you

http://www.world-science.net/exclusives/090113_dog-gaze.htm
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

billyjean

well, was my article saying they thought Oxytocin had no effect on sociopaths?  Guess they are bullet proof.  So 1 out of 50 ppl that you know is a sociopath.  Hmmmm .... I have to go over my list.

I don't know about Oxytocin, but I melt when my dogs look at me.

Hows about we concoct a new perfume, buzz?  We are going to have to tap into those lactating women.  That will be your job.  I'll get the mixing bowls.  What should we call it?

buzz

Quote from: billyjean on July 06, 2011, 11:39:43 PM
well, was my article saying they thought Oxytocin had no effect on sociopaths?  Guess they are bullet proof.  So 1 out of 50 ppl that you know is a sociopath.  Hmmmm .... I have to go over my list. I don't know about Oxytocin, but I melt when my dogs look at me.
Yep, no effect at all on sociopaths.  I've been kinda' fascinated by those studies with dogs but I didn't know about the findings on sociopaths, thanks.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?