News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

who is this guy....

Started by Guy_on_Clinton, July 11, 2011, 08:18:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guy_on_Clinton

spent some time in the yard this weekend....  saw this little guy.... anyone know if he's bad for the plants, lawn, etc? if so, how do i get rid of him and his friends....   ;)
SPINDLEVIEW RULES!!!!!!!!

OakParkSpartan

Looks like a japanese beetle.  They are the critters responsible for grubs...

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

ljp

They will destroy roses and pole beans.

buzz

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on July 11, 2011, 08:31:26 AM
Looks like a japanese beetle.  They are the critters responsible for grubs...
Yep.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

tgoddess

"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

BRoWN

Well that PDF settles it. lol.  Its grub hunting season.

Guy_on_Clinton

yep.....i knew you guys would find it...  off to get some grub ex... to bad i didnt have before todays rain... now i'll have to spread the the grubx and re-water.... :-\
SPINDLEVIEW RULES!!!!!!!!

BRoWN

Might want to just spoon them into box and get them off the property. Find them under the discolored spots on the lawn.

buzz

Also, use a dirt devil hand vac to get the adults!  Honest.  My brother-in-law found 100's of them on his shrub magnolia.
Instead of hand-picking them he grabbed the re-chargeable hand vac from the garage and gently vacuumed them off the leaves.  It really cut down on the adult population.
He even vacuums up the ants when they start the annual invasion.

Nazerac

and here's another fun critter.  I couldn't find it neither here http://www.gardeners.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Gardeners-Site/default/Search-PestsDiseases nor here http://cgdahlias.com/Dahlia_Pest_Control.pdf ... but it really likes my dahlias !

buzz

Actually you're showing different beetles.  Your top photo "Culprit" mid-page and to the left has a "cross pattern" on it's back.  But there's one in the photo below, bottom center,  that has a striped back.
It's probably one of these.

Bean leaf beetle             Cerotoma trifurcata    Adult 1/4 in.
Striped cucumber beetle  Acalymma vittata       Adult 1/4 in.

Rotenone kills em'.

Nazerac

Thanks Buzz,

These critters did a lot of damage this year.

buzz

Are you, or did you, grow any veggies like beans, cukes, sprouts or squash ?  That's what they normally eat.
My book says they over winter in plant debris and weeds.

Nazerac

Hyacinth beans (do they count?) and tomatoes in previous year.  Though this year, I grew some cukes on the side of the garage.  The neighbour however, does grow cucumbers every year.  However, for whatever reason, they're not touching the cucumbers yet.

buzz

Probably came in with some soil or mulch.
Glad I don't have them.  Good luck.