News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

New counter tops

Started by buzz, July 17, 2011, 09:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzz

Has anyone ever used these Rustoleum products for re-finishing counter tops ?  I've used their stuff for metal, garden furniture etc., and it worked great, but these products are relatively new.

http://www.rustoleumtransformations.com/

Thanks in advance.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

maclively

I've been looking at this as well. And their products for cabinets. Haven't taken the plunge yet, though. Curious to see if anyone has anything to say about it...

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Buzz - If you're handy and want to save yourself some money I'd go for it although I don't know the price.  We recently put in a new countertop in our kitchen and went with Wilsonart HD laminate which looks like granite without the price and it was very reasonable.  The only thing I wish I would have done differently is get a different edge although I'm sure that would have increased the price.  We just wanted to get rid of the old sky blue countertop that was there when we moved in.  I would like new cabinets but the ones we have are about 20 years old and still in good shape so I can't justify replacing them just for a more current style - not in this economy and real estate market.

PamF

Not sure about the Rustoleum method but I do have a friend who has done his own and other folks (trying to keep it cheap) with contact paper.  Looks amazing!

http://www.ehow.com/how_5121763_cover-counters-contact-paper.html

buzz

The kit covers 250 sq. ft. and costs $248 at Menard's in Hodgkins.  They actually have some decent looking faux granite colors.  Won't hold up to abrasives, they warn you.
I'm concerned about the fumes, the durability...chipping....will the finish get dull...especially with all the bleach I use on the counter tops !
One drawback is you have to let the stuff dry for 72 hrs.

I don't really need replacements, counters are fine, but it would be a nice inexpensive change.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

PamF

My friend did his own kitchen countertops in late 2009.  Saw them just 2 weeks ago and they looked good; only wear was around the sink from a lot of cleaning up.  He cooks a lot.  But I was amazed at the look and feel of them.  I'd probably screw them up with a knife slip...

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: PamF on July 19, 2011, 12:07:24 PM
My friend did his own kitchen countertops in late 2009.  Saw them just 2 weeks ago and they looked good; only wear was around the sink from a lot of cleaning up.  He cooks a lot.  But I was amazed at the look and feel of them.  I'd probably screw them up with a knife slip...
I admire ingenuity and of course like to save money on a project but there is no way I would use contact paper for a kitchen countertop.  First of all, I am in the kitchen quite a bit because I basically do all the prep, cooking and cleanup for the family.  I'm also not hard on the countertop - my old countertop was actually in good shape, I just hated the color.  For cutting I use one of several heavy-duty plastic cutting boards that I can scrub and disinfect and I clean my countertop with a sponge with an antibacterial soap applied to it that I change regularly.  I haven't even used contact paper on the inside shelves of my kitchen cabinets which are about 20 years ago.  I just empty them out on a regular basis and wipe them down and they are still in very good shape - they actually look better than the shelves in a bathroom closet that I USED contact paper on.  I waited quite a bit longer than I wanted to replace my countertop but in the end got a decent product that was very reasonably priced and will last a long time and will definitely be good towards resale value.  I also think it's sometimes a matter of whether you rent or own.  Even if it's your own home and you just want something to temporarily hide a hideous countertop, then contact paper could be a quick fix.