News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Happy Anniversary

Started by berwynguy, July 23, 2011, 02:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maclively

Our water is going down - but barely. It's going so slow you can hardly even tell it's draining.

berwynguy

Ours is going down so fast it's like a whirlpool.  I don't want to even step in it it's going down so fast.  There must be hundreds of gallons being drained at the force and speed the water is going down.  It has been going full force like this now for a half hour. 
Unfortunately, this ain't your grandmother's Berwyn anymore.

berwynguy

Billyjean & Bonster, did you get water or is it just us poor fucks by Proksa again?

maclively

Quote from: berwynguy on July 23, 2011, 04:22:29 AM
Ours is going down so fast it's like a whirlpool.  I don't want to even step in it it's going down so fast.  There must be hundreds of gallons being drained at the force and speed the water is going down.  It has been going full force like this now for a half hour. 

That's what ours did last year. Not now though. Still waiting for the big whoosh...

billyjean

maclively, did you check to see if the drain is being blocked?  I helped my neighbor last year ... their's was going slow ... we found the drain and it was being blocked by debris.

billyjean

no, BG .... all clear here.

maclively

Quote from: billyjean on July 23, 2011, 04:25:19 AM
maclively, did you check to see if the drain is being blocked?  I helped my neighbor last year ... there's was going slow ... we found the drain and it was being blocked by debris.

You mean the sewer drain in the street? If yes, it seems to be fine. Has been this whole time - never looked like it got backed up. Our basement drain is free of debris as well.

billyjean

mclively, my house has never flooded till last year's rain.  I got about an inch and neighbors all down the way had close to two feet.

I'm just putting this out there ... probably a coincidence, but mine was draining slow too, so I tried to gather some water in a bucket and put it down the basement sink.  When I did that .... it did the woosh.  Coincidence?  probably ... but worth a try to see if that somehow unstuffs it.  Worth a try.  Try a couple buckets ... see if it does anything.

billyjean

Quote from: maclively on July 23, 2011, 04:27:21 AM
Quote from: billyjean on July 23, 2011, 04:25:19 AM
maclively, did you check to see if the drain is being blocked?  I helped my neighbor last year ... there's was going slow ... we found the drain and it was being blocked by debris.

You mean the sewer drain in the street? If yes, it seems to be fine. Has been this whole time - never looked like it got backed up. Our basement drain is free of debris as well.

Ok.  That's good. 

berwynguy

Quote from: billyjean on July 23, 2011, 04:27:01 AM
no, BG .... all clear here.

Are you kidding?????  I would love for someone to come on here and tell me there is NO problem and it was just a lot of rain.  BULLSHIT!!!!!!

Ted

Story in the Trib:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-chicago-weather-heat-rainstorm-20110723,0,7848204.story 

Heavy rainstorms are Chicago's latest weather nightmare

Staff report
5:56 a.m. CDT,
July 23, 2011

Those looking for some kind of a break from the heat of the last week got it overnight -- a rainstorm that dropped temperatures into the low 70s. But like the heat wave that preceded it, this rainstorm was anything but ordinary.

There were rainfall totals as high as 5 or 6 inches as the storm moved noisily through the Chicago area after midnight, resulting in flash flood warnings from the National Weather Service and enough flooded roads and highways to close down parts of some roads going into O'Hare International Airport and make a mess of traffic overnight and probably into Saturday morning.

The flash flood warning is in effect until 6:30 a.m. Saturday for most of the northern part of the region, though the rain did end up falling pretty much everywhere.

The north side got the brunt of it, though, with O'Hare International airport getting 5.53 inches in two hours, according to ChicagoWeathercenter.com. Some other totals of note reported by the Weather Center: 6.41 inches in Glenview, 5.4 inches in Arlington Heights and 5.49 inches in Elk Grove Village.

At Little Village Academy on Chicago's West Side, the total was 7.84 inches, and the rain still hasn't left town for good.

The resulting flooding wreaked havoc with area roads. According to the police desk at O'Hare, some inbound roads heading to the airport were shut down, though some traffic is getting through. Tribune reporter Angie Leventis Lourgos reported this morning that she was able to get into the airport via I-190, though the traffic was very backed up, some roads did have standing water on them and some exits were closed.

Among other roads closed at some point were the Edens Expressway between Lake-Cook Road and the Kennedy Expressway and between Skokie Road and tower Road, the Dan Ryan between I-57/Bishop Ford and 83rd Street and at 69th/67th street. It's slow going on the Eisenhower too, with flooding blocking two lanes between Homan Avenue and Independence Boulevard.

Chicago Fire Department spokesman Larry Langford said that at the 83rd Street underpass on the Dan Ryan, there are six cars stalled in the middle of the road, with water up to the top of their doors. He also said there is about 3 feet of water on the CTA tracks there. Fire and police are at the scene, diverting traffic off the road onto side streets, some of which have no traffic lights because power is out.

And there are multiple instances of flooding on low-lying roads throughout the area.

The weather has interrupted service on three CTA lines -- on the Red Line between 95th and 79th streets, the Blue Line between O'Hare and Jefferson Park and between Forest Park and Racine, and the Pink Line between 54th/Cermak and Pulaski.

The storm also interrupted electrical service for some. About 4 a.m., ComEd reported that about 86,000 customers were without power: 43,000 north of the city, 30,000 in Chicago, 8,500 west of the city and 4,500 south of the city.

The forecast calls for more rain early today as another storm system moves in from the west. That will be followed by a partly cloudy afternoon with -- you guessed it -- temperatures in the 90s and high humidity.

J'sMom

Don't look to the City of Berwyn for answers. We flooded just 6 weeks after moving in. Called the city three times before someone returned our call. They called to say that the person responsible for checking out the situation was on vacation for two weeks. Thanks!

Bonster

Quote from: berwynguy on July 23, 2011, 04:24:39 AM
Billyjean & Bonster, did you get water or is it just us poor fucks by Proksa again?

Dry as a bone, here.  But I know ppl as high up as 16th St. who did.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

psychomom

Just went downstairs. some puddles and black stuff by both floor drains. Bedrooms and storage rooms dry this time though.....just put towels down in front of all doors just in case for this next round. Last year we had water to the top of the baseboards in June, some small puddles in July, and now this. We've been here 18 years and last year was the first time for any kind of water.  We are on Euclid between 25th and 26th.
"He who opens a school door closes a prison"

Victor Hugo

Homebody

I just posted this under Basement Flooding:

We woke up to some sewage and water residue in the basement. This is the one year anniversary of last year's July flood. Once again, residents living in the area just east of Proksa Park are reporting flooded basements.

I am collecting the names of 3rd Ward residents who had flooded basements last night/this morning. Larry, Frank, Matt and Bob, I have you on the list already.

For 3rd Ward residents only: Please call me at (708) 788-3361 or e-mail me at marge3rdward@sbcglobal.net to report flooded basements, streets and alleys. I will be cleaning my basement and then heading out to the neighborhood. Please provide your name, address, telephone number and the approximate amount of water you think you had. (My basement had already drained by the time I woke up this morning.) I'll be taking messages only today and will try to kep the voice mailbox empty to accept your calls.

Sorry to hear that so many friends are once again bailing out.
Marge Paul, 3rd Ward Alderman

Ted

Quote from: psychomom on July 23, 2011, 09:52:51 AM
...  We've been here 18 years and last year was the first time for any kind of water.  We are on Euclid between 25th and 26th.

I've been here 26 years and last year was the first time I had water in my basement (and, that happened twice last year).

Something has have to have changed.  We cannot have had 3 "100-year" floods in the course of 12 months, especially since there was no flooding with the 12 inch rain storm in late 1980s.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: billyjean on July 23, 2011, 03:32:55 AM
I really think the City needs to explain why all of a sudden all these houses are flooding as of late.  There has got to be a reason for it.  Last excuse was it was the sudden rush of what .... like 12 inches in one hour or something like that.  This will not be the same situation, so why is it happening?

Actually, it is worse.  Wettest day in Chicago's history.

www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-chicago-weather-heat-rainstorm-20110723,0,7848204.story
chicagotribune.com
Heavy rainstorms are Chicago's latest weather nightmare

Staff report

9:42 AM CDT, July 23, 2011
Advertisement

Those looking for some kind of a break from the heat of the last week got it overnight -- a rainstorm that dropped temperatures into the low 70s. But like the heat wave that preceded it, this rainstorm was anything but ordinary.

According to ChicagoWeatherCenter.com, the total rainfall at O'Hare -- 6.91 inches as of about 6:50 a.m. -- is the largest single-day rainfall since records began in 1871. The highest previous daily total was 6.64 inches on Sept. 12, 2008. And more rain is on the way.

There were rainfall totals as high as 7 inches as the storm moved noisily through the Chicago area after midnight, resulting in flash flood warnings from the National Weather Service and enough flooded roads and highways to make life miserable for passengers headed to or from O'Hare International Airport and make a mess of traffic overnight and into Saturday morning.

The flash flood warning is in effect until 1:30 p.m. Saturday for most of the northern part of the region, though the rain did end up falling pretty much everywhere. The north side got the brunt of it, though, with O'Hare International airport getting 5.53 inches in two hours, according to ChicagoWeathercenter.com. Some other totals of note reported by the Weather Center: 6.41 inches in Glenview, 5.4 inches in Arlington Heights and 5.49 inches in Elk Grove Village.

At Little Village Academy on Chicago's West Side, the total was 7.84 inches, and the rain still hasn't left town for good. More rain is expect when some storms move in from the west.

The Metropolitan Water Reclamation District opened the locks at Wilmette and the Chicago River downtown this morning, according to the Chicago Park District. Because opening the locks causes backflow of storm runoff and sewage into the lake, precautionary swim bans were put into effect at all beaches along the Chicago lake front until test results show low levels of bacteria in the water.

The storm also interrupted electrical service for some. About 7:30 a.m., ComEd reported that about 87,000 customers were without power: 45,000 north of the city, 30,000 in Chicago, 6,800 west of the city and 4,800 south of the city. Among areas affected were Grant Park -- where the absence of wokring traffic lights added to the day's traffic woes.

The forecast calls for more rain early today as another storm system moves in from the west. That will be followed by a partly cloudy afternoon with -- you guessed it -- temperatures in the 90s and high humidity.

chicagobreaking@tribune.com

Copyright © 2011, Chicago Tribune
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Bonster on July 23, 2011, 09:38:05 AM

I shop-vac'ed up about 30 gallons from around the drains.  No major damage or destruction. 
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

psychomom

Quote from: Homebody on July 23, 2011, 10:09:11 AM
I just posted this under Basement Flooding:

We woke up to some sewage and water residue in the basement. This is the one year anniversary of last year's July flood. Once again, residents living in the area just east of Proksa Park are reporting flooded basements.

I am collecting the names of 3rd Ward residents who had flooded basements last night/this morning. Larry, Frank, Matt and Bob, I have you on the list already.

For 3rd Ward residents only: Please call me at (708) 788-3361 or e-mail me at marge3rdward@sbcglobal.net to report flooded basements, streets and alleys. I will be cleaning my basement and then heading out to the neighborhood. Please provide your name, address, telephone number and the approximate amount of water you think you had. (My basement had already drained by the time I woke up this morning.) I'll be taking messages only today and will try to kep the voice mailbox empty to accept your calls.

Sorry to hear that so many friends are once again bailing out.
Marge Paul, 3rd Ward Alderman

Thanks Marge, I just emailed you.
"He who opens a school door closes a prison"

Victor Hugo

berwynguy

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on July 23, 2011, 10:17:45 AM
Quote from: Bonster on July 23, 2011, 09:38:05 AM

I shop-vac'ed up about 30 gallons from around the drains.  No major damage or destruction. 

So Brian, you basically got about the same amount as last time there in midtown right?  Bonster and my parents a block away got nothing once again.  My whole area got at least 6" for the THIRD TIME!  (the first time was a foot).  Do you think there may be a problem around here?