Need Recommendation for Concrete Floor Refinisher

Started by Robert Pauly, July 25, 2011, 08:34:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Pauly

We're through with carpeting in our basement, and we'd like to get the concrete floor gussied up a bit.  First, the floor is about 90 years old, with plenty of chips and spider cracks, second, there are man-made imperfections, too - poor attempts at patching and gobs of carpet padding glue.

I'd like to find someone to properly repair these floors and prepare them for paint, and I'd like to use the type of paint that's used in high-end car dealerships - the kind that's resistant to chips and staining.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

J'sMom

Let me know what you find out; if someone PMs you. I have the same exact scenario in my basement and would like the cracked/uneven concrete floor to be leveled and look nice.

littlealexa

We painted our concrete floors, at first were were gonna stain them but that is quite pricey.  We painted it ourselves (forgot the type, some concrete paint from Home Depot).  Hubby refinished some of the cracks, other areas were bumpy and we just left it as is.  I looks rather nice, rustic raw looking just like we wanted.  We didn't thing it was worth it (cost effective) to get the bumps and imperfections out since it a basement.  We have some rugs by the play area and another by the tv area and it works.  The only downfall to this paint was that in the July 2010 storm, the paint in some areas chipped off (that's hidden by the rugs).

If you were to do it yourself, you can get that paint that's used for garages, comes with these little chips and then a sealer.  I think that's what you mean by showroom looking.  Looks fabulous; I chose that for the snack area at work and it is awesome looking, easy to clean, doesn't show the imperfections to the floor.  I'll take some pics and post them later. 

maclively

I'd also be very appreciative of any info you can pass on, if you receive it via pm. Previous owner of our house painted, but with seemingly regular ol' latex. You can imagine what the flooding has done - looks disgusting. We need it all stripped off so we can start over. Not sure if I'm for tackling that myself...

Robert Pauly

I'm told the process is to repair any imperfections, abrade the concrete surface (removing oils, paints, caulk, etc.) with a diamond sander, and finishing with an epoxy paint.  Done by a pro, of course.  I'm told it's almost impermeable - I'll probably have a guy out in a few days - maybe we can get a 3,000 basement discount.

PamF

After last year's storms that caused water to come up through spots in the floor, we had George's Concrete come out and he patched the floor.  With the rains this past weekend the patches kept water from coming in that way.

We (other half really) painted our concrete with basement type paint and they look pretty good.  Held up through last weekend's event.  We put inexpensive Menard's area rugs over it all and it looks decent.  

Getting real tired of floods though.  Maybe I'll have it 'filled in' with concrete and screw it all  :666:

Robert Pauly

My floor isn't leaking - it's coming up through the drains.

berwynguy

Quote from: Robert Pauly on July 25, 2011, 11:13:39 AM
My floor isn't leaking - it's coming up through the drains.

+1 again.  My basement has NO seepage anywhere.  The flood water is coming up through the drains. 
Unfortunately, this ain't your grandmother's Berwyn anymore.

OakParkSpartan

Backflow valve or overhead sewers would seem to be the two best options.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

dukesdad

Actually overhead sewers seem like the only answer. I have heard of three people with backflow valves that still got water. I'm just having a hard time pulling the trigger on the overhead sewers. It won't raise the value of the house, seems like good money after bad.

Robert Pauly

Another 12 months like this and I could pay for yours and mine.

Bonster

Quote from: dukesdad on July 25, 2011, 01:07:56 PM
Actually overhead sewers seem like the only answer. I have heard of three people with backflow valves that still got water. I'm just having a hard time pulling the trigger on the overhead sewers. It won't raise the value of the house, seems like good money after bad.

With all you've done to your house I'm shocked you haven't done this, yet.

If I were at all prone to basement flooding I would do the overhead sewers - no question.  It's only a few grand more than valves, but fool-proof.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

BRoWN

If we all put in overheads....a geyser might just blow our cars parked on the street 30 feet into the air.

dukesdad

QuoteWith all you've done to your house I'm shocked you haven't done this, yet

I was lulled into complacency by 10 years of dry basement. Now, I'm having a hard time justifying doing something that I know will add no value.

maclively

Quote from: Bonster on July 25, 2011, 01:34:18 PM
Quote from: dukesdad on July 25, 2011, 01:07:56 PM

With all you've done to your house I'm shocked you haven't done this, yet.

If I were at all prone to basement flooding I would do the overhead sewers - no question.  It's only a few grand more than valves, but fool-proof.

Really? I thought overhead sewers were very pricey?

dukesdad

+/- 10K would be my guess, depending on the particulars.

Ted

I have overhead sewers yet twice last year water came up through the old drain (that I thought had been plugged).  I did not get extensive flooding but I did get a large pool of water around the old drain.

That was the first time in 25 years that that happened (and then it happened twice in a month!)

Also, with overhead sewers, if the electricity goes out for an extensive period of time, the water will collect in the sump pump or ejector pump wells and, if it gets high enough, will overflow into your basement.

In one of the storms last year, the electricity was out for 17 hours, so nothing was getting pumped out.

I was dry this year in the flood last weekend.

J'sMom

Quote from: Ted on July 26, 2011, 05:07:23 AM
I have overhead sewers yet twice last year water came up through the old drain (that I thought had been plugged).  I did not get extensive flooding but I did get a large pool of water around the old drain.

That was the first time in 25 years that that happened (and then it happened twice in a month!)

Also, with overhead sewers, if the electricity goes out for an extensive period of time, the water will collect in the sump pump or ejector pump wells and, if it gets high enough, will overflow into your basement.

In one of the storms last year, the electricity was out for 17 hours, so nothing was getting pumped out.

I was dry this year in the flood last weekend.

Our overhead sewer contractor told us if electricity was out and a storm was raging, the water/sewage would collect in the pipes. If that happened, he suggested not using a ton of water in the house until electricity is back. Common sense. We were dry during the last three big storms. Although expensive, especially for a house that is declining in value every day, it was worth putting in for peace of mind and quality of life in Berwyn.