News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

City Sidewalk Replacement

Started by billyjean, July 26, 2011, 09:25:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billyjean

Was talking with a neighbor about the recent flooding, etc.  At that time he pointed out that on the corner of his property after the storm he found a small sink hole about three feet from the curb.  He stuck a bucket in it to avoid anyone stepping into it by accident and notified PW.  He removed the bucket to show me that it sunk about 3 1/2 ft. and  diagonal from the hole was a crack in the curb.  He had previously put dirt to fill in  the exact corner where sidewalk to street meets grass and curb.  He showed me that all that dirt is gone.  It went somewhere.  Where is unknown.  I just said ... hmmmm.

Then he turned to show me the quality of the sidewalk replacement done by the City to his neighbor, which neighbor has a lil more than double lot.  I don't walk across the street much for anything, and really didn't notice anything from my side of the street, but being right up on it ... it was terrible.  It was like I myself had pulled out a manual on "how to pour a cement sidewalk" and tried to do it.  It was just awful.  I had mine replaced like about mmmm 10 years ago?  I looked at mine after looking at what he showed me and there was a significant difference in the quality of cement and the quality of finishing.

If what my neighbor showed me is representative of the type of work being done on sidewalk replacement ... that's gotta stop.  It really looks awful and whoever is responsible should be tarred and feathered next Tuesday meeting at City Hall, so everyone can see who it was that thought this was good workmanship.

Although I myself could never produce a quality 5 x 5 slab of sidewalk, I did know someone who was considered one of the best in the business.  His eyebrows went up when he inspected the job done at my house 10 years ago.  I can only imagine what he would have thought of what my neighbor just showed me.

It's shoddy work, and no one is gonna tell me different.

Homebody

Please attend a City Council meeting and bring up this issue. Aldermen and City Administration don't know if a shoddy job is being done unless we are told. If there are enough complaints indicating that more than a handful of squares were poorly done, then we shouldn't hire that company to work on City projects. Concrete sidewalks are like spaghetti and marinara sauce. If a eatery can't prepare something simple then why eat there. If you can't trust a company to do sidewalks, then why hire them for a bigger project.

Let's not settle for shoddy work. We are not paying shoddy prices to get it done. Your complaint is the first I have heard of.

Marge

Thor

Can you tell us who is contracted to do the work?
That way we can play 6 Degrees Of Seperation from the lovero administration.
Stop your whining and think the way I do

billyjean

I have no idea.  I spoke only to the neighbor of the neighbor that had it done.  Haven't talked yet to the neighbor involved.  When I do, I'll see what I can find out.

Bonster

How long ago was the sidewalk done?  

I'm wondering if it was Robert R. Andreas and Sons Inc., the company the unions were mad at the city about when they bid less a few months back.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Tuttles

A few years ago when the city replaced sidewalks free of charge, two squares were replaced right in front of my house.  Those squares are pitted already.  Last spring I contacted the city very early to do the 50/50 sidewalk replacement.  I applied early & paid my share.  The company that replaced my 3 squares did not come out until right before the first snowfall.  The sidewalk is in okay condition on the surface, but it appears to be raised up/separated at the sides - I am wondering if it is due to the extreme changes in the weather/temperature right after the cement was poured.  Anyhoo...the companies that did the work stamp the sidewalk with their info., so I could get the companies names to you Marge -btw, I live in 3rd ward too.  The other annoying thing is that the 50/50 sidewalk replacement cost only slightly less than what I paid to get some cement replaced in my back yard, so it seems to me that either the city is being overcharged or they are over charging residents b/c I could have gotten better quality work done promptly on my own for only a little bit more than what I paid.