News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Pedigree Dogs EXPOSED

Started by billyjean, July 28, 2011, 01:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billyjean

I had watched the 9:00 p.m. news last night, so I didn't want to hear anymore news or reports on weather at 10p.  So I checked to see what was on WTTW, and they had a documentary .... Pedigree Dogs Exposed.  This program confirmed what I was seeing over 25 years ago with the AKC, and turned my back on.  I have been an outspoken critic of the AKC for the reasons given in this documentary and MORE, but I will not go into those other reasons at this time.  It goes to reason that I even have more negative things to say about so-called "TOP BREEDERS".  All these ppl that are breeding and showing.  To me, and I've said this for years, is there is NO DIFFERENCE between the puppy mills or the so-called show ring breeders.  I have wondered when someone would expose them, and thanks to the British who love their dogs ... we finally have pulled back the curtain.

So those of you that are true dog lovers, or have a purebred dog and are ready to get an eyeopener to what is going on with purebreds I strongly suggest you watch this documentary which you can read about and see in its entirety here:

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/pedigree-dogs-exposed/

I've also enclosed the video here so you can just click on:

http://www.youtube.com/v/GhXHFOrBbEc?version=3&hl=en_US

~LL~

Thank you for posting this!  I volunteer for a dog rescue - and have placed many, many very fine dogs who have no 'pedigree' per se - but all are 'winners' and reward those who give them a 'forever home' 1,000 fold!
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

billyjean

LL, how many times over the years have you heard ... don't buy from pet shops!?  that you are enabling puppy mills !  The alternative was ... find a reputable breeder or adopt a dog from a shelter.  Well you can now (which I have been telling ppl for years) scratch off "reputable breeder".  These ppl that march around the show rings at Crofts and Westminster are greedy imbicles that have ruined virtually every breed.  The section on German Shepards was absolutely appalling.  Then the judge that gives out the win to top Shepards says ... oh, well, a real working dog would never make it in the show ring.  Is this man a total moron?  I noticed he has eyes and is in a position to judge good conformation and gait.  Does he believe the Shepards in the ring have good conformation or a good gait, when their hind end is virtually caving in, and the hocks sooooooooo wobbly that you wonder how the dog can hold itself up to move at all.  The AKC and KC's all over should be shut down and dicontinue the practice of showing dogs.  It's absolutely sickening.  Ppl should not be making money off this in any shape or form.

But hell, they don't even care that under age girls are being raped by old men (FLD) under the protection of religion and our tax dollars support it.  Guess dogs are way down on the list, probably just a rung or two under the raping of under age girls.

This country needs to get its fkn act together.

~LL~

Quote from: billyjean on July 28, 2011, 03:45:54 PM
LL, how many times over the years have you heard ... don't buy from pet shops!?  that you are enabling puppy mills !  The alternative was ... find a reputable breeder or adopt a dog from a shelter.  Well you can now (which I have been telling ppl for years) scratch off "reputable breeder".  These ppl that march around the show rings at Crofts and Westminster are greedy imbicles that have ruined virtually every breed.  The section on German Shepards was absolutely appalling.  Then the judge that gives out the win to top Shepards says ... oh, well, a real working dog would never make it in the show ring.  Is this man a total moron?  I noticed he has eyes and is in a position to judge good conformation and gait.  Does he believe the Shepards in the ring have good conformation or a good gait, when their hind end is virtually caving in, and the hocks sooooooooo wobbly that you wonder how the dog can hold itself up to move at all.  The AKC and KC's all over should be shut down and dicontinue the practice of showing dogs.  It's absolutely sickening.  Ppl should not be making money off this in any shape or form.

But hell, they don't even care that under age girls are being raped by old men (FLD) under the protection of religion and our tax dollars support it.  Guess dogs are way down on the list, probably just a rung or two under the raping of under age girls.

This country needs to get its fkn act together.

Yep.  If only some of those snobs who have to have a dog from a breeder really knew that they really are all mutts anyway....and, for that fact, so are all of us!  This thought amuses me no end.

Crunchie

I saw the documentary on PBS about pure-bred dogs and cats. It is enough to make you ill.

PamF

I have a friend that only gets her dogs from breeders.  Her dogs have nothing but health problems and behavior problems.  Don't know why she insists on a pure breed.  They always seem to have way more issues than a good ole mutt!

~LL~

Quote from: PamF on August 02, 2011, 12:11:57 PM
I have a friend that only gets her dogs from breeders.  Her dogs have nothing but health problems and behavior problems.  Don't know why she insists on a pure breed.  They always seem to have way more issues than a good ole mutt!

Yep.  Another reason I wish people would adopt rescued pets (and some are 'pure bred' animals! -- ditched when some schmuck found out it takes work to keep a pet!--no matter how good  they look!).  Time and again I've heard from our adoptors of rescued mixes and not-so-mixed, "Best & healthiest dog/cat we've ever had!"

While not an expert on breeders - I do know them to be a greedy lot in general and while they may claim they have 'standards'...well, the almighty $$'s still prevail and they  sure can talk the talk.   As I said earlier on this thread - if people would have a DNA done on their 'pure bred' animal - they may be in for quite a surprise...

Bonster

Quote from: PamF on August 02, 2011, 12:11:57 PM

Sounds like they didn't have good blood lines.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bonster

While I always look to rescue dogs myself, I see absolutely no problem with looking to a breeder if you know their background and are looking for good history and a particular breed.  If I want a Corgi why shouldn't I get a "Corgi"?

That said...  I would push this idea for anybody, first --

Quote from: ~LL~ on August 02, 2011, 12:18:46 PM
adopt rescued pets (and some are 'pure bred' animals! -- ditched when some schmuck found out it takes work to keep a pet!--no matter how good  they look!).

If you want a "pure breed" your best bet is a pure breed rescue. 
Raising puppies sucks.  Potty training bullshit.  Shots.  Behavioral and discipline bullshit.  Everything from the ground up. 
Get yourself a rescue and it's likely all been done.  Ready to go out of the box if you will.  Sure.. some will have issues at first, but 75% of them are just fine; loyal as a child once you gain their trust.

billyjean

Quote from: Bonster on August 02, 2011, 12:36:24 PM
While I always look to rescue dogs myself, I see absolutely no problem with looking to a breeder if you know their background and are looking for good history and a particular breed.  If I want a Corgi why shouldn't I get a "Corgi"?

adopt rescued pets (and some are 'pure bred' animals! -- ditched when some schmuck found out it takes work to keep a pet!--no matter how good  they look!).

Raising puppies sucks.  Potty training bullshit.  Shots.  Behavioral and discipline bullshit.  Everything from the ground up. 
Get yourself a rescue and it's likely all been done.  Ready to go out of the box if you will.  Sure.. some will have issues at first, but 75% of them are just fine; loyal as a child once you gain their trust.

Not sure if you watched the entire video Bon, but to answer your question about getting a Corgi and going to a breeder .... the point of the video is that it is the top breeders (top being ascertained and validated by awards given out by Judges at top dog shows) are breeding dogs that have exchanged function for looks.  My guess is you would then need to seek out someone who is going against the grain so to speak.  A breeder who has given up any and all chance to finish their dogs in the show ring because they simply cannot win against what the trend is.  And the trend is to go for looks at the sacrifice of function causing a dog pain and death.

So my guess is that you would have to do your homework to track down a breeder that does not go along with the crowd, and has rebeled to go back to breeding a Corgi that is structurally bred to do what it was orginally meant to do, and as disease free as possible.  Since a breeder like this would most likely be an outcast amongst their peers, you would have to dig hard to find that one person or group of ppl that have taken up the cause.

billyjean

I posted this video at another place that I post which is composed of horse ppl.  We had some good discussions and then ppl were giving examples of other frankenstein animals being bred.  Here are some bizzare photos of horses being bred by ppl who think they know what they are doing and see nothing wrong with the appearance of these animals.

An Arabian (look at the caving in by the muzzle).
A Quarter Horse that looks like Arrrrnold.
A so-called Palomino.

~LL~

Quote from: Bonster on August 02, 2011, 12:36:24 PM

Bons:  Thanks for this about rescued pets!  Its all true plus I sincerely believe these animals 'know' they've been rescued and are grateful for the chance to be someone's 'best dog/cat ever'!  I'd like to up that percentage you offered to at least 90% being 'just fine' (plus some).  Heck, I've seen 'issues' resolve themselves while a  the dog was trotting along side its "forever owner" on the way to their vehicle to go to its new home!!  The 10% may have issues for a while longer.  - but with the right owner these  disappear or become 'manageable' in time. 

rbain

Just to play devil's advocate here, but what would be the point of breeding Corgis that conform to their original purpose (i.e. herding cattle)? A dog bred to bark and nip at the ankles seems less than ideal as a pet. Like having a boarder collie in the suburbs. Or complaining that your terrier digs up your garden. Terriers were bred to dig out and kill rodents. Very few dogs through history have been bred to be good-natured companions who wait quietly at home alone 8 hours a day.
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."

OakParkSpartan

Our cattle dog/sheperd does quite well.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

billyjean

Quote from: rbain on August 02, 2011, 05:41:04 PM
Just to play devil's advocate here, but what would be the point of breeding Corgis that conform to their original purpose (i.e. herding cattle)? A dog bred to bark and nip at the ankles seems less than ideal as a pet. Like having a boarder collie in the suburbs. Or complaining that your terrier digs up your garden. Terriers were bred to dig out and kill rodents. Very few dogs through history have been bred to be good-natured companions who wait quietly at home alone 8 hours a day.

what do YOU think?  rbain, unless you watched the entire video you are not getting the point.  Try watching it first, and then comeback to this discussion.

Crunchie

Bons, your dog is great, but I couldn't help but laugh my ass off when I watched some documentary about the Royal family in England. Apparently the Queen loves them and has a few. And apparently they fuck up every room they are allowed into because no one has trained them to go outside. People say you can smell them a mile away. But no one mentions the 800 LB gorilla in the room to the Queen. :D

Bonster

Quote from: Crunchie on August 03, 2011, 01:00:04 AM
And apparently they fuck up every room they are allowed into because no one has trained them to go outside.

Go outside to pee?  Why?  They're ROYALTY!  <LOL>

Crunchie

Quite so. Folks said the dogs were proud as punch to just plop down a load or a piss right in the middle of the floor, and Queenie just pretended to "not notice." ;D

Diona

Quote from: Crunchie on August 03, 2011, 11:23:29 AM
Quite so. Folks said the dogs were proud as punch to just plop down a load or a piss right in the middle of the floor, and Queenie just pretended to "not notice." ;D

LMAO.... ;D :D