News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Bank building (Cermak and Oak Park)

Started by Mike Phelan, August 01, 2011, 06:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

berwynguy

A couple more vintage images from my collection of the First National Bank of Cicero.

(Click twice to enlarge)

Early 1920s.

Unfortunately, this ain't your grandmother's Berwyn anymore.

The Jackal

LOL

Think of the cool haunted house possibilities with the OPA/Cermak bank. Does Berwyn have a chapter of the Jaycees? They used to put on the best haunted houses when I was growing up!
The word gullible isn't in the dictionary?

Suzy Q

3 corners of Cermak and OPA disgust me.  One corner has an absolutely filthy looking facade, another looks like the circus came to town, and the bank....I never thought I would say it but ....tear it down!  I love old buildings but how long do we have to look at this.  Perhaps when the hoopla of Harlem and Cermak is over, we can concentrate on this other mess.

Homebody

Quote from: Suzy Q on August 03, 2011, 06:37:27 PM
3 corners of Cermak and OPA disgust me.  One corner has an absolutely filthy looking facade, another looks like the circus came to town, and the bank....I never thought I would say it but ....tear it down!  I love old buildings but how long do we have to look at this.  Perhaps when the hoopla of Harlem and Cermak is over, we can concentrate on this other mess.

The BDC has not stopped shopping the bank building to developers. The BDC staff continues to work diligently to attract a business in there that we can be proud of. The Cermak/Harlem developments will certainly not hurt efforts to attract business to the area.
Marge

mustang54

Quote from: Homebody on August 03, 2011, 07:24:24 PM
Quote from: Suzy Q on August 03, 2011, 06:37:27 PM

The BDC has not stopped shopping the bank building to developers. The BDC staff continues to work diligently to attract a business in there that we can be proud of. The Cermak/Harlem developments will certainly not hurt efforts to attract business to the area.
Marge
Getting the eyesore across the street cleaned up might help speed up the process. Would you invest a ton of your money to open your business across the street from ghetto looking trash? Doesn't matter what happens 3 blocks west if that dump across Oak Park Avenue isn't cleaned up that bank will be there for all our grand kids to bitch about when they are our age. Tell them to improve it or you will not renew or issue ANY business licenses and see how fast they move.

tony la

Quote from: berwynguy on August 03, 2011, 11:23:28 AM
A couple more vintage images from my collection of the First National Bank of Cicero.

(Click twice to enlarge)

Early 1920s.

I can't help but notice the phone or power lines in front of the building, the street car tracks, and no signage on the building.  That picture is priceless.
Tony LaMonica  Broker 1998 Hall Of Fame
Prudential RUBLOFF 708-795-5000
Director Chicago Association of Realtors
WWW.TONYLA.NET

berwynguy

Quote from: Mike Phelan on August 03, 2011, 07:20:01 PM
No one from the BDC can comment as to the status?  You can all blame Lori Theilen and the historical society for this mess and the city council through the years for not having what it took to stand up to them.

Hey Phelan, you have been singing the same old tired song for way to long.  Lori forgot about more good things she did to improve this city then you did in all of your years here.  I'm the history guy right?  Well I got a bit of history for you.  You will go down as one of the WORST alderman to ever be elected onto Berwyn's city council.  EVER.  Your Berwyn aldremanic legacy was Ace of Fades.  You did absolutely NOTHING to improve the sixth ward, and as far as I'm concerned, left it in fucking ruins.  All you did is embarrass this city with your petty bullshit fights with the mayor.  It wasn't your fucking job to fight with the mayor.  Your job was to represent the 6th ward and help bring resources and maybe even aid in bringing a respectable business or two to the ward.  You were supposed to represent your constituents and their concerns such as crime (the overwhelming problem in the 6th).  YOU FAILED MISERABLY!  Maybe if you would have gotten your act together you would have been reelected.  Maybe if you had followed these steps laid out by a "previous poster" you would have been reelected.

Quote from: lawndale on February 11, 2009, 03:18:58 PM

Here is why I feel that Mike Phelan was a DOG SHIT Alderman.  

First, I will start by his appearance.  ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE.  The guy is representing a ward of a city and he comes into a city council meeting looking like an effin  :oink: .  I want to see my alderperson dressed up and maintain a professional appearance while conducting city business, not wearing his dirty work cloths and his shit covered boots.

Second, which sort of ties in with the first item, I want an alderman who conducts himself professionally while conducting city business.  I want an individual who SHOWS UP to council meetings when they are scheduled and ON TIME.  I personally look down upon absenteeism and tardiness in any position.  If you take your position seriously, this shouldn't be a problem.  There is also language etiquette as well, yes sir, no ma'am, yes, may I, please, etc.  Oh, and NO fucking cell phones.  Leave it in the car goof.

Third, I want someone who can conduct themselves accordingly in their personal lives.  Alderman Phelan has proven to be a menace in the community if it isn't getting into a physical scuffle at Walmart where he needs to be dropped and cuffed, or when he gets into screaming matches in the hall ways of city hall after a council meeting where police intervention is required, or when he refuses to pay late fees for a city vehicle sticker because he can't get his act together and get there on time like everybody else, which also required a police intervention.  Also, staying off the fucking computer and NOT get into pissing matches with other members of the community online, subsequently having to get banned by the sites administrator.

Fourth, I want someone who will vote on issues using common sense and NOT bringing personal grudges, or political maliciousness into the fold.  This seems to be the problem with just about all of our alderpeople.  People hold Weiner on some pedestal because he does not get into the BS, well that is a BASIC requirement of what is expected while voting on legislation which affects our city.  I know it is to hard to expect this basic practice so I and others will continue to worship Weiner for doing the elementary, basic thing while sitting on the council floor.  

Fifth, I want an alderperson who can bring some innovative ideas to the floor.  I am not talking about new laws of nature or anything, just some basic issues like ways to deal with parking issues, over crowding, garbage, crime, etc.  Just the basics.  Not only just bring the issues foreword but know them well enough, and believe in them enough, to maybe convince the rest of the council to vote along with you and maybe get some legislation passed that will benefit the members of the WHOLE community not just your respective ward.  

By doing the right things on these five issues you would have been a great leader Mr. Phelan.  Unfortunately you have failed miserably in all of the above and will pay for it at the polls this election season.

berwynson

Quote from: mustang54 on August 02, 2011, 10:47:25 PM
..........   You had Seneca Restaurant on one corner,...........

I remember the name, but am thinking of a restaurant more in the center of the block, north side of Cermak, east of Oak Park.

There was a rented apartment above the restaurant. **GRISLY- warning**.  I happen to know that on October 22, 1967, a Sunday, at about 6PM, a murder-suicide occurred in that apartment, involving 4 gunshots, which went unheard and unknown by persons anywhere in the area, due to the din within the restaurant.

The man committing the act had called my home on Harvey & 18th., shortly after shooting his wife, and told us of the event unfolding there, not to bring anyone with me, and that he was next. Not knowing whether this was a hoax, I immediately drove to the apartment, parked out back in the old "ell" area, went up the rear stairs, and had to break in through the back door.

Their bodies I had to step over on the back porch floor, to reach the phone and call police. This event, traumatic as it was, brought about several significant turning-points in my life. I was 25 years old. Perhaps I shouldn't even be telling it.

I "roughed" this story out in a thread long ago, and caught a lot of flak for it. Up to, and including, that I was wasting BTF posting space! I thought anything and everything which one experienced in Berwyn was fair game here. WTH, it's for adults, right?   berwynson

tony la

who do you think you are Mickey Spillane
Tony LaMonica  Broker 1998 Hall Of Fame
Prudential RUBLOFF 708-795-5000
Director Chicago Association of Realtors
WWW.TONYLA.NET

berwynguy

Quote from: tony la on August 03, 2011, 07:59:45 PM
Quote from: berwynguy on August 03, 2011, 11:23:28 AM

(Click twice to enlarge)

Early 1920s.

I can't help but notice the phone or power lines in front of the building, the street car tracks, and no signage on the building.  That picture is priceless.

Here's a better and more rare image (damn I wish I knew how to add a watermark to all of my scans) from my collection of the First National Bank of Cicero circa 1925. 

(Click twice to enlarge)

The bank was constructed in 1921.  Notice in the ca. 1925 photo they had already made infrastructure changes to the area like the replacement of the utilitarian style poles, cemented over the grass patches in front of the bank, removed the light in the center of the street, and my favorite, added those neat "tire buster" storm drain covers in the middle of the street. 

Also note in the ca. early 1920s image I posted above this one that in the far right side of the photo behind the bank there is sort of a blur.  Well that was the old CTA Douglas Park El as it sped past Austin Blvd. 

berwynguy

The image I just posted is one of two original 8"X10" photo's (the other is from right after the bank's opening in 1921) that I found about 5 years ago in an antique store on 31st St. in Brookfield.  They were just laying in a pile of old photos.  I was so happy to get them and at the low price of only $15.00 a piece! ;D  I just love hunting this stuff down!

berwynguy

I wanted to clarify something.  I'm sure many of you read my post above.  The reason I posted that was because Mike Phelan made a negative and insulting post about my friend Lori Thielen.  I just noticed that the post was removed by either Phelan himself or Brian.  Either way, Phelan's post was uncalled for and I wasn't going to stand by as he insulted a friend of mine.  

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: berwynguy on August 03, 2011, 09:25:15 PM
I wanted to clarify something.  I'm sure many of you read my post above.  The reason I posted that was because Mike Phelan made a negative and insulting post about my friend Lori Thielen.  I just noticed that the post was removed by either Phelan himself or Brian.  Either way, Phelan's post was uncalled for and I wasn't going to stand by as he insulted a friend of mine.  

I removed it.

The historical society has moved on from the preservation fight (they support preservation, but it is the Berwyn HISTORICAL Society, not the Preservation Society).

If people are passing through north Berwyn, check out the new building at 14th and Grove.  SE corner.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Mike Phelan

How can any of you sit here and deny that Lori Theilen and the historical society fought to save that building at any and all costs.  There were aldermen that were afraid to vote against her because they knew she would work against them the next election.  I know it because I witnessed it.  Lori even told me that she would do everything she could to see that I didn't get re-elected.
I've got news for you all.  Your city is screwed and it isn't coming back.  I sympathize with you because I still own property there.  I own a house in Texas now.  My property taxes for the whole year are $116.  That's correct.  That's for a house on 3/4 of an acre.  There's more to life than cook county Illinois.  You're fighting a losing battle that you can't win.
You can call me all the names you want.  It doesn't affect me.  You talk about the crime in the 6th ward.  Tell me, what is Mr. Polashek doing about it.  I've got news for you.  He's not doing anything.  Take a look at some of the trash that's moving in.  No alderman can be expected to fix that.  You can riddicule me all you like for arguing with O'Connor on the city council floor.  That's ancient history.  He created that circus by hiring family and campaign workers.  All I did was call him out on it and try to save your tax dollars.  How did you all feel when the city council rammed a 15% tax increase down your throats last year?
All I know is that when I get my paycheck, there is no state income tax.  I pay no tax on groceries and my sales tax is only 6 1/4%
Now back to your beloved bank building.  How long is the BDC going to market the property before they finally give up?  Marge?  Anyone?

OakParkSpartan

Mike,

Lori doesn't post here, is not involved in this board and is not a public figure.

Leave her out of your discussions.

Thanks.

PS.  How are the schools down there?
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Mr. Daniel Lumis

Quote from: Mike Phelan on August 04, 2011, 12:08:20 AM

I've got news for you all.  Your city is screwed and it isn't coming back.  I sympathize with you because I still own property there.  I own a house in Texas now.  My property taxes for the whole year are $116.  That's correct.  That's for a house on 3/4 of an acre.  There's more to life than cook county Illinois.  You're fighting a losing battle that you can't win.

Normally I don't make comments related to the old turd-throwing politics of Berwyn past, but the quote I've extracted from your comment speaks volumes and I would like to address it:

First, you speak of "your city," not of "our city" which makes you appear to be an opportunist whose opportunities are now gone. Most of us who post here believe in our community, its people, and its possibilities. It isn't coming back? As an old boss of mine used to say: "Bullshit!"

Second, you speak of sympathizing with us because you still own property here. We don't want or need your sympathy. We want your commitment. Owning a property here is not a burden as you imply; it is an opportunity for those of us who give a damn to do something about it. That's why people gripe about crappy looking facades and businesses that appear to be abandoned but still have an "open" sign out front.

Third, you own a house in Texas and you pay only $116 per year. Great. Then sell your house here to someone who cares about the community, take your winnings and go to Texas, where, in exchange for your low taxes, you get "great" schools and public services. Texas by the way, takes in more federal money than it contributes, so you'll have to deal with the cognitive dissonance that the Texas mantra of "independence" exposes. And by the way, Texas is screwed too. Their budget deficit is awful. But you'll have low taxes so you can keep all your money.

Fourth, you say we're fighting a losing battle and cannot win. Mike, we're still here fighting. I appears you've given up. If you truly believe that it is fruitless for us to continue, keep it to yourself, move to Texas, and pray for rain because, it seems you don't live here anymore. Besides, the idea of a former politician mocking the people he formerly represented is an insult and reveals much about character. On another scale, can you imagine GW Bush thumbing his nose at the American people and saying "ha ha, you're all screwed"?

I think not.

EC

honkytonkstar

Agree 100%. Keep the rat-is-leaving-the-sinking-ship attidude for yourself!!

Mike Phelan

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on August 04, 2011, 12:33:31 AM
Mike,

Lori doesn't post here, is not involved in this board and is not a public figure.

Leave her out of your discussions.

Thanks.

PS.  How are the schools down there?
Brian,

With all due respect does it matter if Lori posts here or not?  I have to disagree with you that she was a quasi public figure when she was the face of the historical society.  She was quoted on numerous times in the Berwyn Life, etc.  So why is it we can't discuss her?  I'm not bringing up anything from her private life.
How are the schools here?  I assume they are just fine.  But then again, they can't be much worse than Morton high school.  Now can they?

Mike