News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Bee keeping ?

Started by buzz, June 29, 2011, 10:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzz

My neighbor said that Oak Park has a "bunch" of bee keepers.  That sounds fascinating to me.  I don't know a thing about caring for a colony but I could learn.  It would be a good Winter project (therapy?) for me cause that's when I get to do most of my reading.
Do we have any beekeepers here in Berwyn ?
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

eno

Buzz:

There used to be a bee keeper (who sold his own honey) on Jackson, just West of Des Plaines in Forest Park; I think the three flat, where he worked has since been sold.
"None of us have to settle for the best this administration offers: a dull, adventureless journey from one entitlement to the next, a government-planned life, a country where everything is free but us." - Paul Ryan

tgoddess

Beekeeping is illegal in Berwyn.

616.11  BEEKEEPING.

No person shall keep, harbor or maintain, or permit to be kept, harbored or maintained, any bees or beehives at any place or in or upon any premises or part thereof in the city.

(Ord. 07-55, passed 10-23-2007)
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

buzz

berwynguy

Buzz, Frank the owner of Klas is a bee keeper.  Also one his (and my) buddies Ray M. in Cicero also keeps bees.  If you ever wanted to know anything go over to Klas and have a beer with Frankie.  He is cool and will tell you everything you wanted to know. 
Unfortunately, this ain't your grandmother's Berwyn anymore.

buzz

buzz

On Tuesday @7 p.m. Ch. 11's Chicago Tonight has a short segment on the OakPark beekeepers.
For those of us that prefer to watch the All Star game, Chicago Tonight is repeated on Ch. 11.2 (WTTW Prime) at 10 p.m.

buzz

I chose beekeeping over baseball, a mistake.  It was not very informational.  It seems some man in the community has a family member who is allergic to bee stings and this has become his cause celebre.  He doesn't want bees in Oak Park.
I know nothing about bee keeping but I know that if a bee stings, it dies.  The bee knows that too.

Terri

Buzz,

This looks interesting. 
###

http://www.yourgardenshow.com/bee-a-thon

Bee-a-thon 2011 is a free, online "town hall" event broadcast live to a worldwide audience on July 16th to shed light on the plight of our bees. Tune in for 12 minutes... or 12 hours! Learn how pollinators are responsible for one in every three bites of food, contribute billions of dollars to global economies and face challenges from colony collapse disorder and other threats.

Tune in as top bee experts, beekeepers and key environmental players reveal the latest buzz on what's happening to our bees and what you can do this summer to make a difference. It's easy to join the conversation and get inspired to take action.

The Bee-a-thon kicks off the Great Bee Count, a Citizen Science campaign hosted on YourGardenShow.com in partnership with the Great Sunflower Project. We're counting bees across North America and helping shape bee conservation efforts.

Ana

Quote from: tgoddess on June 30, 2011, 02:14:05 PM

616.11  BEEKEEPING.

No person shall keep, harbor or maintain, or permit to be kept, harbored or maintained, any bees or beehives at any place or in or upon any premises or part thereof in the city.

blah, blah, blah, no tree houses, no mulching, no bird feeders, no rain barrels, etc., etc., etc.  

Oh, and Berwyn is green BTW.   ;)

PS the treehouse, my personal pet peeve.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

berwynguy

Quote from: Ana on July 14, 2011, 05:55:32 PM
Quote from: tgoddess on June 30, 2011, 02:14:05 PM

616.11  BEEKEEPING.

blah, blah, blah, no tree houses, no mulching, no bird feeders, no rain barrels, etc., etc., etc.  

Oh, and Berwyn is green BTW.   ;)

PS the treehouse, my personal pet peeve.

I agree Ana.  That's why I just do what ever I want.  Make good with your neighbors and watch out for them and no one will ever turn you in for anything. 
Unfortunately, this ain't your grandmother's Berwyn anymore.

Thor

Try Pitbull keeping instead, apparently there safer than bees
Stop your whining and think the way I do