News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Apartment Garden

Started by Diona, August 03, 2011, 10:30:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diona

I've been meaning to show you guys the pics of our flowers & pepper plant that my husband has on our back steps outside.  He LOVES plants & each year we have flowers a pepper plant & a tomato plant.  He didn't want to do a tomato plant this year.

We live in an apartment complex so what he did is he uses the biggest curve(s) in the back stairs to put his 2 pots & the pot of flowers he has in a long pot on L brackets on the outside of the stair rails.

We tried out Clovers the plant place in the middle of the Cermak Plaza & we are now big fans of that place, they have some very good flowers/plants there.

My husband keeps on telling me that when we move he wants a place with a yard & he's going to ask the new landlord if he can have a spot all his own for a garden...lol  :D

First 1 is of the Wave Petunias we tried out this year...

The second 1 is the Cherry Bomb pepper plant...

berwynguy

Diona, that's very nice.  It is a VERY good sign for a landlord to have their tenants interested in flowers, gardens, etc. 
Unfortunately, this ain't your grandmother's Berwyn anymore.

Diona

Thanks berwynguy! :)  I think if we didn't have our cats, we would have a ton & a 1/2 of plants in the house too.  :D

berwynguy

Diona, from everything you post here you guys are what every landlord wants in their building.  Good people, long term tenants, flowers & gardens, etc.  Provided you pay on time your landlord would do what ever it takes to keep you there and happy.  In this market and ESPECIALLY in this area, YOU are in the drivers seat.  Trust me.

Diona, how is the building you live in?  It looks pretty nice and quiet.  Have you noticed a decline in the quality of tenants there over the years?  Is the building owner conscientious about keeping up his property?  Do you feel safe there and in the immediate area?

OakParkSpartan

Don't forget the community garden...$20 for a good size plot for the summer.

I love mine.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Diona

I didn't know about the community garden Brian.  I may have to look in to that for my husband for next summer.  He would go crazy having his own little plot to enjoy!  You guys should see him each night sitting on the back steps working on the flowers & pepper plant...lol

Berwynguy I'll send you a PM & answer your questions.

OakParkSpartan

Berwyn Park District has the plots.  Check them out at the park kitty corner to city hall.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bonster

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on August 03, 2011, 11:54:31 AM
Don't forget the community garden...$20 for a good size plot for the summer.

I love mine.

You have an entire backyard.  Is it full?
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Diona

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on August 03, 2011, 12:44:11 PM
Berwyn Park District has the plots.  Check them out at the park kitty corner to city hall.

I'll talk to my husband about it tonight & we'll check it out, thanks again Brian.

berwynguy

Thanks Diona.

Hey, I would bet any money that the owner of the building would let you do some planting right in the courtyard.  Maybe not a full garden but some flowers for sure.  The problem is then you have to worry about the other tenants messing with it.  Also I am not sure if your unit has windows that overlook the courtyard. 

Fer

Diona,
You sound like wonderful tenants!    Once we get rid of the awful people who rent there now, please come rent the house next door to me!
"Life is short. Enjoy it."
J. Sullivan, 7/28/06

Diona

Aww thanks Fer! :)  We do try to be good tenants, not ask for much of the landlord, keep to ourselves, plus keep our little "home" clean.

We thought about that at first berwynguy, but the front courtyard doesn't have a whole lot of room for a garden, plus like you said the other tenants would be messing with the flowers or plants.  This is actually the first year we have had a chance to have our little garden on the back steps without someone messing with it.  The back steps are only used by us & the tenant next to us, so there isn't that much traffic on our steps.

tony la

You do have a great landlord.  I personally knew the old landlord, and I have met your present landlord a few times.  He really did a nice job on the back porches, and he seems like he stepped up security for that whole building.
Tony LaMonica  Broker 1998 Hall Of Fame
Prudential RUBLOFF 708-795-5000
Director Chicago Association of Realtors
WWW.TONYLA.NET

Diona

This thread wasn't really about the landlord, more about the little garden we have going.

~LL~

Quote from: Diona on August 08, 2011, 06:40:46 AM
This thread wasn't really about the landlord, more about the little garden we have going.

I love your little garden!  Very inspiring.  There is room to create a little beauty to enjoy everywhere when one thinks outside the box (or backyard...).
Ever consider attaching a small rectangular planter or two from the top of the railings?  Could be a great spot for a few nice herbs or a few cheerful Marigold plants.   There are some that just hang on the railings -- no need to drill holes in it,  etc.  Happy gardening to you! 
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

Diona

That's an idea, thanks LL, I'll run that by my husband for next year.

Thank you too...we do enjoy our little garden.  My husband was able to eat his first 2 pepper this weekend, hot as hell, but he loves em.  :D

~LL~

Quote from: Diona on August 08, 2011, 12:22:23 PM
That's an idea, thanks LL, I'll run that by my husband for next year.

Thank you too...we do enjoy our little garden.  My husband was able to eat his first 2 pepper this weekend, hot as hell, but he loves em.  :D

We make the most of what little space we have -- and the deck and gangway is loaded with containers - of flowers, herbs and veggies.  Used nifty corner planters (hung on top rails of deck) to grow lettuce! and its soooo good.
Made first batch of homemade-all-from-the-garden salsa yesterday.  Just can't beat the taste of things picked on the same day they are consumed.  Happy gardening!

Bonster

Quote from: ~LL~ on August 08, 2011, 01:26:11 PM
Made first batch of homemade-all-from-the-garden salsa yesterday.  

Oh man that sounds good right about now.. I can't imagine anything being as comparable than all-from-the-garden, fresh.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

~LL~

Quote from: Bonster on August 08, 2011, 04:38:03 PM
Quote from: ~LL~ on August 08, 2011, 01:26:11 PM
Made first batch of homemade-all-from-the-garden salsa yesterday.  

Oh man that sounds good right about now.. I can't imagine anything being as comparable than all-from-the-garden, fresh.

I'll PM you when I make up next all-fresh batch and you can come by and pick it up to enjoy.  Sometimes I add fresh-cooked corn off the cob when I get the corn from the Farmers' Market in Brookfield.  To die for...  My salsa is not volcanic -- go for a mildly hot but flavorful blend of peppers.  Also - my new fav side-dish or snack is a bowl of plain white rice liberally topped with fresh made salsa.  Unbelieveably good and satisfying - especially if I've added fresh cooked corn.
Ah, the simple pleasures of summer...

Diona

That does sound great LL!  We've done homemade salsa's before too, from our tomato & pepper plants, it's just mmm...mmm...good!!