News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Baby Z retires

Started by Ted, August 13, 2011, 07:10:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-spt-0813-cubs-braves-chicago--20110813,0,2460261.story  

Zambrano 'retires' after dismal 10-4 loss

Cubs 'respect his wishes' after he gives up 5 homers to Braves

By Paul Sullivan, Chicago Tribune reporter

10:45 p.m. CDT, August 12, 2011

ATLANTA — Carlos Zambrano cleaned out his locker and told friends he was retiring Friday night after serving up five home runs and getting ejected in a 10-4 loss to the Braves.

Whether or not he will pitch again remains to be seen, though even if he does decide to apologize, his days as a Cub are probably over.

He didn't have it tonight," manager Mike Quade said. "I'm really disappointed. His locker is empty. I don't know where he's at. He walked out on 24 guys that are battling their (butts) off for him. I don't know where he's gone or what he's doing. I heard he has retired, or talking about retiring.

"I can't have a guy walking out on 24 guys, that's for damn sure."

General manager Jim Hendry was with the Double-A team in Knoxville. When contacted for comment he said: "We will respect his wishes and honor them and move forward."

Bonster

ESPN shows "Big Z mulls retirement"

Ramirez: When asked if he thought Zambrano was done for good, Ramirez replied, "I don't think so."
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

pkd50

buzz

Quote from: pkd50 on August 13, 2011, 12:50:27 PM
That man needs help
And he's getting it from the UNION asshats.
I just heard on TV that the CUBS suspended him without pay but the UNION is filing something on Monday defending him.  They says that's too harsh !
Nobody wants him, so the CUBS are stuck with his salary and his tantrums.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

mustang54

No one in the media last year brought up that when he went back to Venezuela for a family matter near the end of the year he came back throwing mid 90's and went 6 and 0. I think this is a ploy by him to go to the home land get a secret potion again and come back throwing harder. I would hope the Cubs lawyers are going through his contract with a fine tooth comb looking for a behavior clause of some kind to get them totally out of the contract. Then again as dumb as the Cubs organization and Hendry are I doubt they would be smart enough to put clauses like that in a contract. Some baseball commentators said before the trade deadline no teams wanted Zambrano or Ramirez in their club houses, hopefully next year both of these guys will be gone.

The Jackal

Best thing that could ever happen to us if indeed he retires.

seebee

Jackal in May:
Quote from: The Jackal on May 14, 2011, 01:31:25 AM
Zambrano is a FRONT end of the rotation pitcher (with an eight figure contract), and Cashner will be in the near future.

Jackal in early August:
Quote from: The Jackal on August 13, 2011, 05:14:40 PM

Yawn.

The Jackal

^^^^^^^

One has nothing to do with another...the above comments were made in the context of TALENT the Cubs have produced through their farm system....of course, if you cut and paste those comments OUT OF CONTEXT, you get the bs you came up with......

seebee

I apologize.

"in the context of TALENT the Cubs have produced through their farm system...."

Quote from: seebee on August 13, 2011, 11:41:00 PM
Jackal in May:
Quote from: The Jackal on May 14, 2011, 01:31:25 AM
Zambrano is a FRONT end of the rotation pitcher (with an eight figure contract), and Cashner will be in the near future.

Jackal in early August:
Quote from: The Jackal on August 13, 2011, 05:14:40 PM

Yawn.