Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

RIP: Berwynite Bob Will

Started by Robert Pauly, August 25, 2011, 10:29:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Pauly

My first Cub hero (because of his name) and Morton HS student:

Robert Lee Will (July 15, 1931 – August 11, 2011) was an American professional baseball player who played outfielder in the Major Leagues between 1957 and 1963 for the Chicago Cubs.

Born in Berwyn, Illinois, Will threw and batted left-handed, stood 5 feet 10 inches (1.78 m) tall and weighed 175 pounds (79 kg). He attended Mankato State University and Northwestern University.

Will played all or parts of six seasons for the Cubs, seeing his only consistent playing time in 1960, when he appeared in 117 games as the Cubs' regular right fielder. Overall, he appeared in 410 MLB games, and collected 202 hits. His pro career began in minor league baseball in 1954 and ended a decade later, after the 1964 campaign.

Bob Will died on August 11, 2011, after a long battle with cancer.

mustang54

Quote from: Robert Pauly on August 25, 2011, 10:29:20 AM
My first Cub hero (because of his name) and Morton HS student:

Robert Lee Will (July 15, 1931 – August 11, 2011) was an American professional baseball player who played outfielder in the Major Leagues between 1957 and 1963 for the Chicago Cubs.

Born in Berwyn, Illinois, Will threw and batted left-handed, stood 5 feet 10 inches (1.78 m) tall and weighed 175 pounds (79 kg). He attended Mankato State University and Northwestern University.

Will played all or parts of six seasons for the Cubs, seeing his only consistent playing time in 1960, when he appeared in 117 games as the Cubs' regular right fielder. Overall, he appeared in 410 MLB games, and collected 202 hits. His pro career began in minor league baseball in 1954 and ended a decade later, after the 1964 campaign.

Bob Will died on August 11, 2011, after a long battle with cancer.

I remember having his baseball card as a kid and that my mother went to Morton with him.

Robert Pauly

My grandmother introduced me to baseball - I remember sitting with her and getting excited whenever Bob Will came to bat.

Didn't take me long to switch my allegiance to Ernie Banks, though.

The Jackal

Doesn't take too long for you to switch allegiances, PERIOD! ;)

Robert Pauly

I'm like a Golden Retriever - I love the last to pet me.