Anyone have or know of someone that has ditched carpeting in their basement...

Started by pioneer, July 28, 2011, 08:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pioneer

...and replaced with something more water-proof?

I have ripped out my carpet due to flooding last week and would rather have the ugly cement than laying down new carpet (even though this was the first flood I ever experienced)....

Anyway, I was reading up on concrete stamping, concrete staining, epoxy, etc.....has anyone gone in any of these solutions or know of someone who has?

Any cons?  Do they really hold up during flooding?

If anyone has any experience with these basement flooring solutions, let me know...thanks!!!   :usa:

berwynguy

I ditched carpeting and two layers of tile underneath it after last summers June 23rd flooding.  Got it down to the bare cement and had my guy "sand" and powerwash the floor and paint it the old Chicago basement grey.  Unfortunately when we had it painted there was another flood about three weeks later on July 24th and small amounts of the paint came off.  After this flood not a speck came off.  Made clean up unbelievably easy.
Unfortunately, this ain't your grandmother's Berwyn anymore.

watcher

I ditched the carpet fifteen years ago because basements are dampish places to start. After a year of bare(painted) concrete I installed interlocking rubber tiles. It's been great stuff!

Twice a year I stack them up to clean, scrub, disinfect.

I'll probably be replacing it completely soon, but only because the cats love to scratch and I didn't buy enough matching replacement tiles.
The different manufacturers use different sized/shaped tabs so they're not interchangeable.

It's a very easy DIY project.

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

Bonster

Hey pioneer - like I told Mr. Pauly, I know someone who did the epoxy and it's pretty sharp.  As they are on vacation and I do not have their permission to post here, I'll send u a PM with pics.

It's got a "softer" feel than cement.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

LetsGoThrow

Pioneer, we put in an epoxy floor about a month ago. PM me if you want the company's name or some pricing details. Clean-up is a breeze and looks much nicer (and more stain resistant) than concrete acid-stained concrete.

OakParkSpartan

Binchen6 has an epoxy floor.  It is nice and cleans up easily (unfortunately, I know that from first hand experience last year).  She had it professionally done.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

menace2society

Is the epoxy floor a bit slippery unless you mix those pieces in with it while you paint?  I was afraid it'd be too slick once it got wet.

pioneer

Thanks all....based on the info available on the web and several pics of homeowners basements....it seems like going the epoxy route is the way to go.....

Bonster

Quote from: menace2society on July 29, 2011, 05:38:59 AM
Is the epoxy floor a bit slippery unless you mix those pieces in with it while you paint?  I was afraid it'd be too slick once it got wet.

The wet epoxy floor I was on was not slippery, but it was spilled beer.  :D
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

pioneer

Robert Pauly

Wow - that's really pretty!  Could you briefly explain the process - how did  they patch all imperfections, cracks, etc., and most importantly, how much does something like that cost?

maclively

Quote from: Robert Pauly on September 06, 2011, 02:43:04 PM
Wow - that's really pretty!  Could you briefly explain the process - how did  they patch all imperfections, cracks, etc., and most importantly, how much does something like that cost?

+1

pioneer

At some point during the sketchy history of my bungalow, one or both of the previous 2 owners decided to install square vinyl tiles...then or perhaps before that, they decided on a red layer of paint and then a grey layer of paint.......

The crew that came in grinded it all away to bare concrete.

Then they patched whatever cracks and pits they found...thankfully...there were not many.

They proceeded to then apply the first coating of epoxy....then spread the chips......then let it settle/dry for about 2 hours...then they scraped any loose chips and applied the second coating.....a clear coat.

Cost was about $1500....for approximately half of my basement.  Pricey but it should last a long time.

Job started at 8am and they were done by 3PM.  The floor was ready to walk on the next day at 3PM...so 24hrs.

They said it can take longer as the weather cools down.  They stop doing these floors at around October due to the temps.

The main thing to keep in mind is to make sure you do not have existing seepage coming into your basement from the floor...if so, that needs to be taken care of first.

soxrwrldchamps05

we had terrible looking carpet downstairs in the basement, so i went with laminate flooring. and it looks like a studio down there once I get all my furniture in the places I want and clean up.