News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

Brokeback Mountain

Started by ruffian, January 09, 2006, 10:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ruffian

Well, I haven't seen it yet, but The Critics Choice is Brokeback Mountain for Best Director and Best Movie.  Looks like this is the movie to beat for the Oscar.

Bear

From what I have heard from all the demented women I work with
(they liked watching guys kiss)
More of a chick movie than a flick that will be embraced
by the gay community...

So being Bear, I had to give them my take on the flick
(they didnt think it was as romantic)

(in bed in a hotel room waking up holding hands)

Neal: "Del, why did you kiss my ear?"
Del: "Why are you holding my hand?"
Neal: "Where's your other hand?"
Del: "Between two pillows"
Neal: "Those aren't pillows!"
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

franklin train

wish i knew howta queet ewe...    ;D

WIZARD

Come on Men of the Berwyn Blog, who's with me let's go see the movie.  I don't have a problem with my sexuality, who's with me. 

Ozzie

Ted

I was waiting for it to come out to somewhere around here before I saw it.  It just opened up at the Lake Theatre in Oak Park last weekend.  I'm dying to see it.

One thing I don't get is this:

Why are heterosexual men turned on by two women engaging in romance?

And, based on the reaction to Queer As Folk and Brokeback Mountain, why are heteroseuxal women turned on by two men engaging in romance?

I don't get it.

Take Care
  Ted

Bear

Uh....sorry Oz... Jan 10, 1939
Linda Lovelace's birthday,
I had another flick in mind
for tonite
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Suzy Q

Ted,
Speaking for myself, I don't know any woman who is turned on by 2 guys romancing each other.  That's just .....ick!!!

ruffian

Ted, maybe it's just something women doen't see so they find it erotic.  Men find two women erotic ... so I guess it works the other way too

markberwyn

So has anybody here seen it yet? I finally caught it last night. It's a nicely done forbidden-love story (I was reminded of "Brief Encounter," though that was a different story, from a different time.) It's a little too long for the story it has to tell, but it has some beautiful cinematography, and I had no idea Heath Ledger was such a good actor. The script is the main reason it works, though; this is a story about two people who don't have access to the usual words to explain their feelings for one another, and have to keep the relationship going for about 20 years. That's really hard to get on the page.

For those worried about--or hoping for--hot man-on-man action, there's not much to speak of. I wasn't counting, but I think there was just as many man-woman sex scenes.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

Ted

I saw it last night as well at the Lake Street cinema in Oak Park.   I thought it was OK but not as good as I guess I was expecting.  Heath Ledger's mumbling drove me crazy.  Half the time I couldn't understand what he was saying.  And, so many of the actors were trying those fake western accents that sometimes it was hard to understand what they were saying as well.

The romantic scenes between Ennis and Jack also seemed off-kilter to me, especailly the first scene. That's not how things usually happen. It seemed more like a rape. Even subsequent scenes it seemed like I was watching two heterosexual men pretending to be gay. 

I guess I was expecting something more romantic.  But maybe that was what the characters were supposed to be like - two men not accepting who they really were and fighting it.

Ted

markberwyn

Quote from: Ted Korbos on January 29, 2006, 02:05:39 PM
  The romantic scenes between Ennis and Jack also seemed off-kilter to me, especailly the first scene. That's not how things usually happen. It seemed more like a rape. Even subsequent scenes it seemed like I was watching two heterosexual men pretending to be gay. 

I guess I was expecting something more romantic.  But maybe that was what the characters were supposed to be like - two men not accepting who they really were and fighting it.

Ted, you didn't care to ask if my fiancee and I wanted to go see it with you? Fine, be that way--hrmph!

I didn't watch the movie thinking, "Ah, yes, this is what gay sex is like--it's two men beating the crap out of one another!" I saw it more as what happens when two men are attracted to one another when they're deeply conditioned to be disgusted at that attraction. It may not be that easy to come out these days in a lot of places. But in 1963? In Wyoming? With all the expectations for what manliness was and wasn't supposed to be? (Note that scene where the young Heath Ledger character gets a look at what happens to an old gay rancher.) I wasn't stunned, and I though I wouldn't call it typical, I didn't think it was out of character for those two men.

And Hollywood is funny about onscreen sex anyway. During the 80s it seemed like every leading man--Harrison Ford, Michael Douglas, and Tom Cruise, especially--had to throw their love interest against a wall or something before going at it. I'm surprised half the actressess in town made it out of the decade with their spines intact.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

Bear

franklin train

Ted

Grocery Lists for Ennis Del Mar and Jack Twist, Summer, 1963, Brokeback Mountain

WEEK ONE
•  Beans
•  Bacon
•  Coffee
•  Whiskey

WEEK TWO
•  Beans
•  Ham
•  Coffee
•  Whiskey

WEEK THREE
•  Beans al fresca
•  Thin-sliced Bacon
•  Hazelnut Coffee
•  Skyy vodka & Tanqueray gin

WEEK FOUR
•  Beans en salade
•  Pancetta
•  Coffee (espresso grind)
•  5-6 bottles best Chardonnay

WEEK FIVE
•  Fresh Fava beans
•  Jasmine rice
•  Prosciutto, approx. 8 ounces, thinly sliced
•  Medallions of veal
•  Porcini mushrooms
•  5-6 bottles French Bordeaux (Estate Reserve)

WEEK SIX
•  Yukon Gold potatoes
•  Asparagus (very thin)
•  Organic Eggs
•  Spanish Lemons
•  Gruyere cheese (well aged)
•  Crushed Walnuts
•  Arugula
•  Clarified Butter
•  Extra Virgin Olive oil
•  Pure Balsamic vinegar
•  3 Cases of Dom Perignon Masters Reserve

Paul Fuentes

Quote from: WIZARD on January 10, 2006, 05:11:24 PM
Come on Men of the Berwyn Blog, who's with me let's go see the movie.  I don't have a problem with my sexuality, who's with me. 

Ozzie

Sitting with a bunch of men in a movie is NOT a good scene.  Ask Tom Hanks what happened to him in Philadelphia.

Paul Fuentes

Quote from: Ted Korbos on January 10, 2006, 05:56:41 PM
One thing I don't get is this:

Why are heterosexual men turned on by two women engaging in romance?

Take Care
  Ted

Many heterosexual women nowadays are turned on by that too.  Who am I to complain.

;)

Bonster

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Sir Mack

Quote from: Suzy Q on January 10, 2006, 11:26:45 PM
Ted,
Speaking for myself, I don't know any woman who is turned on by 2 guys romancing each other.  That's just .....ick!!!

I'm new to the board, obviously. And SuzyQ made me laugh, though not for the reason she may think. What a tool!

Bonster

Why should she or her friends be turned on by that?
Not getting all hot over that makes her a tool?
That's like saying a gay guy is a tool for not getting turned on by hetero sex!

Believe it or not, there are some hetero men not turned on by lesbos (I'm with Paul on that one, though)...big deal. 
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Joe Sleestak

She speaks for herself - she speaks for all women - she's the incredible SuzyQ
Berwyn - Land of the Lost!