News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Brokeback Mountain

Started by ruffian, January 09, 2006, 10:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgoddess

Quote from: Joe Sleestak on May 01, 2007, 04:26:59 PM
I don't care if she's turned on by it or not - that's not my point. Perhaps I'm not being clear.

What if SuzyQ had said this instead:

"Ted,
Speaking for myself, I don't know any woman who is turned on by 2 black people romancing each other.  That's just .....ick!!!"

Hmmm...doesn't sound like just a preference now does it?

Sounds like bigotry to me!

You know, there's no rule that everyone's gotta like everything.  Just because someone doesn't like to watch something doesn't necessarily make them a "bigot."  SuzyQ did the right thing.  The movie had material that bothered her.  Instead of going to the theater and demanding that the movie not be shown, (which, imo, is something REAL "bigots" do) she--oh, I know this sound like craziness--JUST DIDN'T GO.

No one's making you hang out with her and and as long as you're not sitting in her living room, making out with your boyfriend, I can't see where her preference should matter that much to you. 

I guess it's just the crazy libertarian in me, but I'm of the mind-set, "I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."  Or, as my friend Joe Bob has said, "People are entitled to say any stupid thing they want."

That said, if SuzyQ shows up on your front steps and starts gropin' with her boyfriend, just call and I'll shoo her away with my broomstick.

Sincerely,
Maggie R., Socialite-Wicked Witch-Uptight Old White Woman

"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

OakParkSpartan

What the hell stirred this thread up?
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Count DMC

The root of the problem can easily be traced back to the behavior of MORONS, in this case it's two new ones. Joe"I am a business owner so I know more than you" Sleezak and Sir"I want to be like Sleezak" Mack. Two run of the mill Berwyn dolts, nothing more but surely less.
Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this CITY isn't there?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany than the Berwyn City Council.

renovatorbear

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on May 01, 2007, 06:18:12 PM

Who cares?  At least there's something fresh to read instead of that fuggin' "Widow Denied City Council Seat thread".  That one was beginning to bore the brains out of me.

Bru67

Quote from: renovatorbear on May 01, 2007, 08:26:37 PM
Quote from: OakParkSpartan on May 01, 2007, 06:18:12 PM

Who cares?  At least there's something fresh to read instead of that fuggin' "Widow Denied City Council Seat thread".  That one was beginning to bore the brains out of me.

Very true.  Got to spice things up around here from time to time!  Watching Bonster trying to act like Dr. Drew is worth more than the price of admission. 

Sir Mack

Quote from: Count DMC on May 01, 2007, 07:43:08 PM
The root of the problem can easily be traced back to the behavior of MORONS, in this case it's two new ones. Joe"I am a business owner so I know more than you" Sleezak and Sir"I want to be like Sleezak" Mack. Two run of the mill Berwyn dolts, nothing more but surely less.

You know, I made one or two comments that referenced you and/or your posts earlier today. You told me to "get a life" and, essentially, move on. Here's hoping you follow your own advice.

You also made a point of calling me on name-calling after I referred to someone as a tool. And yet, here you are, continuing to call me names like noob and dolt and now, HOURS later, "moron."

Still, I'm meeting your challenge. One would almost think you LIKE banal, anonymous, internet squabbles from the way you're continuing this one and ignoring your own advice.

I've been lurking for a long time -- and if one thing is clear, you typically need the last word.  I'll let you have it. Give it your best shot.

While we wait with great anticipation, I sincerely wish you peace.

OakParkSpartan

Sir Mack,

As a relative newcomer here, some advice...

Don't get into a pissing match with count.  You probably will feel better if you just go out and bang your head against the side of your house.  At least you will have something to show for it, and one of the participants will change their behavior.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Sir Mack

A very sincere thanks for your advice.

I may be a newbie here, but I've been around a long time. I'm not afraid of anyone or anything, including pissing matches with the likes of Count.

It's kind of fun, hoisting him on his own pitard.

Bonster

Quote from: Sir Mack on May 01, 2007, 10:11:39 PM
I've been lurking for a long time -- and if one thing is clear, you typically need the last word.  I'll let you have it. Give it your best shot.

You haven't seen the last word till you've gotten into it with Panther!

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Sir Mack

Quote from: Bonster on May 02, 2007, 12:10:36 AM
Quote from: Sir Mack on May 01, 2007, 10:11:39 PM

You haven't seen the last word till you've gotten into it with Panther!

LOL!   :D :D :o :D

Count DMC

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on May 01, 2007, 11:10:44 PM
Sir Mack,

As a relative newcomer here, some advice...

Don't get into a pissing match with count.  You probably will feel better if you just go out and bang your head against the side of your house.  At least you will have something to show for it, and one of the participants will change their behavior.

Cheers,
Brian

Uh brian you did not capitalize my name, that is a no no. You forgot to let Mack know that if he catches you in one of your BITCHY moods he will get warned or possibly banned. Now the noob is fully prepared to post away. :-* :-*
Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this CITY isn't there?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany than the Berwyn City Council.

Joe Sleestak

Quote from: tgoddess on May 01, 2007, 06:01:11 PM
Quote from: Joe Sleestak on May 01, 2007, 04:26:59 PM
I don't care if she's turned on by it or not - that's not my point. Perhaps I'm not being clear.

What if SuzyQ had said this instead:

"Ted,
Speaking for myself, I don't know any woman who is turned on by 2 black people romancing each other.  That's just .....ick!!!"

Hmmm...doesn't sound like just a preference now does it?

Sounds like bigotry to me!

You know, there's no rule that everyone's gotta like everything.  Just because someone doesn't like to watch something doesn't necessarily make them a "bigot."  SuzyQ did the right thing.  The movie had material that bothered her.  Instead of going to the theater and demanding that the movie not be shown, (which, imo, is something REAL "bigots" do) she--oh, I know this sound like craziness--JUST DIDN'T GO.

No one's making you hang out with her and and as long as you're not sitting in her living room, making out with your boyfriend, I can't see where her preference should matter that much to you. 

I guess it's just the crazy libertarian in me, but I'm of the mind-set, "I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."  Or, as my friend Joe Bob has said, "People are entitled to say any stupid thing they want."

That said, if SuzyQ shows up on your front steps and starts gropin' with her boyfriend, just call and I'll shoo her away with my broomstick.

Sincerely,
Maggie R., Socialite-Wicked Witch-Uptight Old White Woman

Maggie - my point is that she came on a public message board and stated that two men together is "icky."  Why didn't she just ignore the thread?  The thread was titled "Brokeback Mountain." What did she think people were going to be talking about?  She came in and commented on it just to make sure everyone knows that SuzyQ is disgusted and finds the idea of two men together "icky". 

Just as she has the right to say that and feel that - I have the right to call her out on her statement.  Her statement offended me and I don't feel like I have to ignore it just because "People are entitled to say any stupid thing they want."  She can say whatever she wants - but don't expect everyone to just sit there and accept her obvious prejudice.  Gay people are the last people in this country who you can still make bigoted comments about and get away with it. I'm telling you - if her remark had been about black people or hispanic people this board would have erupted with condemnation.  At least I hope so.

Berwyn - Land of the Lost!

Ted

Quote from: Joe Sleestak on May 02, 2007, 11:57:59 AM
Gay people are the last people in this country who you can still make bigoted comments about and get away with it. I'm telling you - if her remark had been about black people or hispanic people this board would have erupted with condemnation.  At least I hope so.

Joe,

I suggest you go back to remarks made by a poster named BerwynTruth in the winter and spring of 2006.  BerwynTruth made several homphobic remarks, many posters on this board condemned his remarks and Brian banned him for two weeks for making those remarks.

Second, I don't view SuzyQ's remarks as homophobic - simply expressing an opinion on a sexual matter.

Don't be so quick to judge people on this board or assume they are homophobic.  I suggest you read some of the posts over the last 2 years and I think you will see otherwise.

Ted

Curious George

When the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars and peace will guide our planet and love will steer the stars..................

or is it .. When the moon is in the seventh house and Junipers collide with Mars and peace will guide our planet and love will steal the stars.. This is the dawning of the Age of Aquariums. Age of Aquariums.....

Don't know why I wrote this, just want us all to get along.  Who cares who does what with whom and what turns you on...
We are all here on this planet for such a short time....

tgoddess

It's "steers."

"Only three more hours and you can take me away from this crappy goddamn planet full of hippies."

"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

Curious George

Quote from: tgoddess on May 02, 2007, 02:01:44 PM
It's "steers."

"Only three more hours and you can take me away from this crappy goddamn planet full of hippies."

Come sail away!

scoon

No one seems to notice that Suzy Q never said she didn't like girl on girl action.

Curious George

Quote from: Scoonie on May 02, 2007, 03:03:07 PM

No one seems to notice that Suzy Q never said she didn't like girl on girl action.

Ewwwww...Icky!!!!

Sir Mack

Quote from: curiousgeorgethemonkey on May 02, 2007, 01:55:56 PM
When the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars and peace will guide our planet and love will steer the stars..................

or is it .. When the moon is in the seventh house and Junipers collide with Mars and peace will guide our planet and love will steal the stars.. This is the dawning of the Age of Aquariums. Age of Aquariums.....

Don't know why I wrote this, just want us all to get along.  Who cares who does what with whom and what turns you on...
We are all here on this planet for such a short time....

Showtunes? ICK!!!

Joe Sleestak

In response to your post Ted:

"I suggest you go back to remarks made by a poster named BerwynTruth in the winter and spring of 2006.  BerwynTruth made several homphobic remarks, many posters on this board condemned his remarks and Brian banned him for two weeks for making those remarks."

Great! Glad to hear it...what does this have to do w/ the fact that in this culture you can still make homophobic remarks and get away with it? Do you deny that? I wasn't generalizing to this board.

"Second, I don't view SuzyQ's remarks as homophobic - simply expressing an opinion on a sexual matter."

So, we have a difference of opinion. To me, "ick" implies a judgment that probably would not have been made if the statement was this instead:  "I don't know anyone who likes black people romancing white people - ick". It may not be her preference - good for her - but admit it, it's an ignorant statement.

"Don't be so quick to judge people on this board or assume they are homophobic.  I suggest you read some of the posts over the last 2 years and I think you will see otherwise"

I'm not saying that everyone on this board is homophobic.  I never said anyone else on this board was homophobic. Believe it or not, I have read some of SuzyQ's other posts since I was interested in what her thoughts were on other subjects.  Turns out, I've pretty much got her pegged.  She wrote the following in response to a story about horrible crime that was committed by African Americans on Caucasians. Someone questioned why the story was not a bigger deal in the media.  Here is her response:
Quote from: Suzy Q on April 19, 2007, 04:11:03 PM
We don't have a Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton to represent us.

Please. 

I don't think there is anything wrong with looking at what she has said and stating my opinion.  You've stated yours, she stated her now please allow me mine.

Berwyn - Land of the Lost!