News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

The Early Days of MTV...

Started by Sherman, September 20, 2011, 05:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sherman

Wherever you are on the planet, Monday night is a dud.  Nothing to do.  Nowheres to go.  Every town in the USA...if not the world...is dead as Henry J Klosak.

So, it's last night, and I'm bored to tears, so I turn the television on...and before you can say, "Jack Robinson" I'm flipping channels, and wind up at MTV.

Needless to say, MTV has changed alot in the years since I tuned out.  The VJ on duty sounded more like an inmate at the Cook County Jail than Martha Quinn, and I made it through about four seconds of the video she was raving about before I switched on over to VH1 Classic.

MTV is like the neighborhood you grew up in.  A long time ago, it was a great place to live.  There was a seamy underside...but overall it wasn't so bad.  At least that's how it feels in retrospect thirty years later.  It might have been a big place, but it felt small, and everybody seemed to know everybody else.  That is, until it got taken over by gangs and drugs, and everybody moved on.  Now, it's a shithole.

That's MTV now.

Submitted for your approval, here's a couple of gems from the early days of MTV:

The Go-Gos--"Vacation"
Go-Go's - Vacation (HQ)

A nice bunch of girls.  No piercings.  No tats.  Sure, they were doing a hand-stand in a mountain of coke back then, but we wouldn't find out about that until "Behind the Music" blew the whislte on that shit many years later.

Pat Benatar--"Invincible"
Pat Benatar - Invincible

Listen to the lyrics on this one...it's practically a Nazi anthem.

Cyndi Lauper--"She Bop"
Cyndi Lauper - She Bop

No one can fuck with this jam.  And, you've gotta hand it to Cyndi--she never let us down, music-wise.  Another added attraction to this one is that it's about a girl who can't stop jacking-off...so it gets two thumbs up from me (if you know what I mean ;) ).

Your views and additions, sports fans.... :D

Mugster

I was visiting someone in a nursing home not long ago and they had some music from the 30's or 40's playing in the social room and I thought to myself "one of these days, my 80's music is gonna be what they're playing in there."  And there I'll be, singing along.  I probably won't remember lunch, but I'll know the lyrics.

Sherman

I've been waiting for that to happen myself...but with '60s music.

If you think about it, most of the Baby-Boomers are in their '60s...and some are fastly approaching their '70s.

The music they listened to is now over 40 years old.

When I was a kid growing up in the '80s, the idea of having to listen to music that was 40 years old seemed kind of funny.  Now, not so much.  But, sooner or later that music has to become officially "old-timer stuff", doesn't it? ;D

Diona

Yeah I remember MTV back in the day too Sherman.  I haven't watched the "new" MTV in I don't know how long.

You actually got to watch a video the other night on MTV??  Holy shit...that was probably a miracle... :o