News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Can you identify this plant?

Started by sheldar, September 28, 2011, 03:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheldar

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: sheldar on September 28, 2011, 03:58:22 PM
I don't know what it is. Do you?

The only reason I know is because we had it growing in our yard about 13 years ago and I still occasionally find one growing which I quickly yank out.  My dad was over one day and I asked him if he knew what it was and he started laughing and said it was pokeweed also known to make the dish "polk salad".  Yes, as in the song "Polk Salad Annie".  It grows wild in a lot of areas down south and I guess has migrated up here.  Before you start cooking anything with it, the berries are poisonous and my dad said you have to cook the leaves when they are young.  I wouldn't even attempt it.  It really grows like wildfire and will take over if you let it which is why I'm still finding it 13 years later starting to grow here and there in the yard.

Bonster

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

sheldar

Thanks Mrs. N!

We saw it pop up in our back yard a few months ago, and just let it grow to see what it would become.

And don't worry, there won't be any polk salad being served in this house tonight or anytime soon. ;)

Bonster, if you want some for your own personal stash, come on over, and help yourself. But if anyone asks, you didn't get it from me.:D

watcher

Do NOT put this weed in with your yard waste! Bag it tight and send it to the landfill.

The plant itself has a taproot that looks like a big carrot. If you don't get it all out, it'll be back.

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

buzz

It is Pokeweed   phytolacca americana

Except for young shoots the whole plant is poisonous !
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: buzz on September 28, 2011, 07:32:59 PM

Actually, I'm glad that Sheldar brought this up.  As I said, we had it growing in our yard about 13-15 years ago.  I know the time frame because my dad was still alive.  We actually had a plant that grew to about 4 feet tall which is why we probably still have a few plants that will occasionally sprout during growing season.  Of course the seeds spread around and our neighbor had a rather large one recently growing.  My neighbor is a real nature and animal lover and when I mentioned the toxicity of the berries she said that she had seen many birds eat them with no ill effect.  After Sheldar's posting I read that "the berries are eaten by birds which are not affected by the toxin because the small seeds with very hard outer shells remain intact in the digestive system and are eliminated whole".  Another neighbor with two young children down the block had one growing and didn't know what it was also and I advised her to get rid of it.

I actually remember being down South in the summer when I was a kid and going out and picking it for cooking.  The difference is that people knew what they were doing (my dad knew about it's poisonous qualities) whereas now I was able to find a recipe online that just listed 1 to 2 pounds pokeweed leaves as an ingredient.  How irresponsible!

buzz

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on September 29, 2011, 04:31:53 PM
Quote from: buzz on September 28, 2011, 07:32:59 PM
I actually remember being down South in the summer when I was a kid and going out and picking it for cooking.
In the South, I've seen those purple berries used in floral arrangements and displays, even in those things the bridesmaids carry in a wedding party.  Bouquet ? Corsage ? Dunno.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?