News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

"Security Doors"

Started by berwynson, December 22, 2011, 09:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

berwynson

Getting serious again, (don't skip over, eh?), years ago, before crime was anything much of a topic in Berwyn, or rather, the crimes were so minor by today's comparison, as to be now laughable, our doors were locked only when we left the home unoccupied for a time.

Perhaps 2 decades ago, my wife and I started seeing fairly massive "security doors" occasionally on front doors. This was in the Phoenix (AZ) area, and perhaps then it had not "caught-on" back east. Surely today, however, reading BTF yields the feeling that crime is now a major issue. So, are security doors being employed in any numbers?

The ones here in AZ today are fastened to the doorframe from the outside, by special fasteners, and are basically a hinged frame having a thick mesh grating welded to it; one can barely see through this grating, when it's closed. They have a passage lock (doorknob) and a deadbolt lock in addition. Similar protective devices are available for windows, also. The window coverings must generally be "frangible", that is, openable, from inside, for fire safety purposes.

My personal feeling is that, these things make a home into a jail. I hate how they look, their intended concept (discourage the intruder), but must admit to their need given today's prevailing circumstances. Whatever happened to good-old booby-trapping? (illegal by Federal law).

Are homeowners employing them in Berwyn? Is their presence generally acceptable to most? Would you be MORE or LESS inclined to buy a home already equipped with them? Do you know anyone who can confirm that presence of a security door on their home stopped an intended break-in?

Thanks for reading!    berwynson

berwyn senator

I don't believe a security door helps, they may be a deterrent,if a professional wants in he's in.The ones that are to be protected against are the junkies or armature gang bangers.My house has a high tech alarm system and is under video surveillance,the armatures are to stupid to figure them out, a pro will get in regardless.I also keep nothing of real value in the house,I guess the best is to protect your home is with a Colt!!!!! What a bullshit way to live!!! Not at all they way I am used to living!! The saying goes its better to be walked out cuffed by two than carried away by six.

Peridot 16

My niece and her husband bought a home in Darien, off of Plainfield and 75th. Security doors on the front and back of the home. I was surprised to see them...actually they don't look bad. About a month after they moved in, one of there cars, parked in the driveway, was broken into...the kids safety seats were taken, along with some cd's and a case with her haircutting stuff. Low life scumbags are everywhere.

berwynson

Quote from: Peridot 16 on January 06, 2012, 09:36:41 PM
My niece and her husband bought a home in Darien, off of Plainfield and 75th. Security doors on the front and back of the home. I was surprised to see them...actually they don't look bad. About a month after they moved in, one of there cars, parked in the driveway, was broken into...the kids safety seats were taken, along with some cd's and a case with her haircutting stuff. Low life scumbags are everywhere.  Yes, they are. We can use car alarms, park them inside garages, etc. Then, of course, if the garage is not "alarmed" too, the entrant can go about burgling the vehicle at his leisure, unseen from without. I suppose the main thing for your relations is that the house was not violated.

My original question remains mainly not answered. How do you folks feel about the concept of these iron security doors, as well as the rather ugly and uninviting appearance they pose?    berwynson

buzz

Quote from: berwynson on January 07, 2012, 09:31:50 PM
My original question remains mainly not answered. How do you folks feel about the concept of these iron security doors, as well as the rather ugly and uninviting appearance they pose?    berwynson
Only the cheap ones are ugly.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

berwynson

Quote from: buzz on January 07, 2012, 10:25:04 PM
.............Only the cheap ones are ugly.  ............

Please elaborate. Somehow, the ones I've seen all projected a pretty gloomy appearance, to me, anyway. Perhaps different designs are available back in the Midwest; the ones I'm seeing are here in Arizona and Nevada.

berwynson

berwyn senator

Security doors,especially the ones sold here in Berwyn and Cicero are not much help and are ugly.If I were looking at a home with security doors I would think twice about the neighborhood as would most.The iron fences also look terrible they put them all the way in front of the home,I think Cicero has banned them but not pit bulls!! So if a home has security doors a thief will use a window not a big deal.

berwynson

Quote from: berwyn senator on January 08, 2012, 12:20:25 PM
Security doors,especially the ones sold here in Berwyn and Cicero are not much help and are ugly.If I were looking at a home with security doors I would think twice about the neighborhood as would most.The iron fences also look terrible they put them all the way in front of the home,I think Cicero has banned them but not pit bulls!! So if a home has security doors a thief will use a window not a big deal.

The windows gotta be barred, too!  berwynson

berwyn senator

Probably barred with electricity!!!!! For safety one window must remain according to Berwyn code.

berwynson

Quote from: berwyn senator on January 10, 2012, 08:59:55 AM
Probably barred with electricity!!!!! For safety one window must remain according to Berwyn code.

Actually, nation-wide, all BEDROOM windows must have sills no higher than a certain distance above the floor, 36 inches or so, (I forget the actual number), and be BREAKABLE or OPENABLE from inside the room, this requirement having been implemented some decades back for ALL NEW CONSTRUCTION, mandated by NFPA (National Fire Protection ACT). The maximum sill height is obviously intended to allow a person to roll over the sill and out of the room, in case of fire.

berwynson

berwyn senator

I have a home in Wisconsin with one of those windows you speak of,the only problem the window is 12 feet above ground and a close to a rather steep hill.Me exiting out of the window would be hilarious especially after a few good German Beers.A folding ladder has been installed,the inspectors didn't care about the height only that there were break away windows in the bedrooms.