News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Salerno's on Grove

Started by viktor, December 27, 2011, 01:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viktor

Rumor has it that Salerno's is now closed and no longer in business.  That's why it has been closed for more than a week.  Anyone else heard anything?

exPROPer

Wow, that's big news if true.  Not a surprise, tho...tired old environment and menu.  They got lost in time and failed to keep up and too many other good Italian options in the area.

seebee

If true, what I'm learning is: use your neighborhood groupons if you have them. I have an SoG unused one. I also have one for Bacci. Salerno's on Grove had decent eats from what I've sampled there. I was a major fan of their EXTRA thin crust pizza (the special available on request crust - NOT the regular thin crust,) their soups were always homemade when I tried them, and not too shabby of an eggplant parm last time I had it. Their pizza with that special extra thin crust was pretty dreamy. I hated their regular crust - too bready and doughy. I liked the place for what it was. I might have to call right now and see if they really are closed. I really dug that pizza - super crunchy crust, and when the A-staff was on, they brushed it with olive oil, or butter.

My praise for Salerno's On Grove on Lth

dyta93

I had called earlier today as I was really wanting one of their thin crust pizzas.  The main number sounded like it was connected to a fax machine.  After several tries, I decided to just walk over and the place was locked tight with no sign of why they weren't open during their usual hours.

While I don't get pizza that often, it is going to be a sad day in our house if we have to find another place for pizza.

Bonster

I've found that just about all Berwyn pizzas need to be ordered xtra-thin.  That said, you can have Salerno's low grade garbage. I'm sad they closed, but won't miss that pizza.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Noble Falcon

Sad to hear Arnie's closed. I miss the Salerno's that were on 16th or on Windsor. On visits to the United Center I go to the Salerno's at Grand and Racine very good! When I want pizza and horses I go to the Salerno's OTB in Hodgkins.

berwyn senator

The original Salerno's on 16Th.St. was the best, the one in Hodgkin's is a close second,sad to see a restaurant close in Berwyn.

berwynson

Quote from: berwyn senator on December 27, 2011, 08:03:22 PM
The original Salerno's on 16Th.St. was the best, the one in Hodgkin's is a close second,sad to see a restaurant close in Berwyn.

Late during my 30 years in Berwyn, I attended Morton college nights,  often stopping at the house after class, about 8:30PM, to pick up Diane (adopted sister in law), called Salerno's on 16th. St., went to pick up a delicious cheese-sau-mush-on.

One of the last times, it was early winter, a light freezing rain was drizzling down. The bare tree branches glistened like shiny mirrors, reflecting the street lights' brightly. I'll never forget that scene; it was incredible!

berwynson

Edit: Also unforgettable: the male voice on their phone, speaking broken English, asking the inevitable last question:  "thew go"? The "o" sounded like an abbreviated "aww".

berwyn senator

A small ranch on the North East corner of 14Th, and East ave.is where I believe old man Salerno lived.In the back yard extending from the back of the house was a cement patio,underneath was an all concrete room excessable from the basement,it was here where cheese and sausage were aged far the old Salerno's.

Crunchie

Quote from: seebee on December 27, 2011, 04:12:59 PM
If true, what I'm learning is: use your neighborhood groupons if you have them. I have an SoG unused one.
I've noticed quite a few restaurants going South after a Groupon campaign. Nice way to make some money, if you're know you're going to close down; just offer a huge discount, and reel in the fish.

justme

Quote from: Crunchie on December 27, 2011, 09:20:22 PM
If true, what I'm learning is: use your neighborhood groupons if you have them. I have an SoG unused one.
I've noticed quite a few restaurants going South after a Groupon campaign. Nice way to make some money, if you're know you're going to close down; just offer a huge discount, and reel in the fish.

IME, this is only happening locally. Has anyone noticed  it elsewhere?
Groupon is very good about issuing refunds.

I wonder what is going on? Garlic Clove, Salerno's...can Berwyn ever keep a restaurant anymore? I mean yes we have some longer lasting ones but it makes me wonder how much longer they will last.

Crunchie

justme

I try to block out Wishbone because that one REALLY hurt  :'(

berwyn senator

The economy has been tough on all restaurants ,not just in Berwyn, Salerno's was OK but the parking was tough.I think they tried to live off their old reputation and didn't draw new customers.

renovatorbear

I called and got immediate refunds on my Garlic Clove Amazon coupons...

Boris

Wishbone's demise wasn't so much about not "making it" as it was about the lease/terms/partnership agreement.
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

pkd50

Seems to me that if Wishbone thought it was such a good location they would have found a way to cut a  deal, or even found another place near by.  I've stood in line on Washington, but I never had to on Roosevelt.

Bonster

I had some long waits for the weekend brunches during the summer.  It seems they would have found a place nearby, but Fitzgerald's was about the perfect fit for a Wishbone style restaurant, and... from what I'm told there was no cutting any deals with them (as it pertains to alcohol sales).  I don't see how Capri works with Fitzgerald's (style more so than ethnicity) but I'll take it.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

eno

Quote from: Crunchie on December 27, 2011, 09:20:22 PM

From what I've heard, Groupon is a sort of "loss leader" that hasn't been working for restaurants in many cases. Restaurants take a huge hit (using the Groupon marketing) hoping to get repeat business afterwards.
"None of us have to settle for the best this administration offers: a dull, adventureless journey from one entitlement to the next, a government-planned life, a country where everything is free but us." - Paul Ryan

pkd50

Capri in Burr Ridge is always packed.  They also opened an Express with counter service and carry outs, and it's jammed at lunch.  It should do well there.