TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Salerno's on Grove

Started by viktor, December 27, 2011, 01:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Jackal

Quote from: The Jackal on January 21, 2012, 07:27:02 AM
Quote from: Pat on January 21, 2012, 05:50:21 AM
2nd from left.  Didn't he do time (along with his father) for some financial malfeasance connected to Cicero & Betty's administration?

Ding Ding Ding...we have a partial winner!

I'm sorry, I misread this. The YOUNGER brother did time, not the one pictured.

pcm1112

That was what I was just thinking.  I was thinking of the younger bro.  Still a great shot.  Those jackets are from Art-Flo, right?

Bonster

Quote from: Pat on January 21, 2012, 06:43:53 PM
Wait a second, Jackal....where the hell did you get that photo?!?!?!?!? (and why do you have it?)

It's from that Facebook site justme posted earlier.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

The Jackal

ALL the jakets were from Art-Flo.

pcm1112

Quote from: Bonster on January 21, 2012, 08:27:41 PM
Wait a second, Jackal....where the hell did you get that photo?!?!?!?!? (and why do you have it?)

Sorry, missed that.  Late to this party.

Bonster

Quote from: Pat on January 21, 2012, 08:31:37 PM
Quote from: Bonster on January 21, 2012, 08:27:41 PM

Sorry, missed that.  Late to this party.
No need to be sorry... I just happened to see ppl posting pictures from it on facebook the other day.

:)

seebee

Quote from: seebee on January 20, 2012, 06:18:17 PM
Quote from: Bonster on January 20, 2012, 04:39:57 PM
You besmirch foam with grill marks covered in reddish-brown syrup, but you're OK with 1" styrofoam covered in ketchup with a slight sprinkle of plastic?   I mean cheese?

Just kidding.  I'm sure you had some good ones... the KEY is asking for xtra-thin crust - everywhere in Berwyn.  By doing that I gave Dinico's a 2nd chance and they've been great.  I'm thinking of trying the same at Benny's.

I went about three times prior to 2006, and each time got the "default" thin and it wasn't very good.

Crap, now that I think of it, I need a new pizza joint. I'll try Dinico's xtra thin first.

We Dinicoed last night. I'm a warm fan. Good call, Bonster!
You prolly won't believe me, but the Dinico pie (ordered xtra thin) was in the ballpark of what I would consider the good pies I've gooten at Salerno's on Grove. Super thin crust - tho Slaerno good ones were seriously like 3 times crunchier. The Dinico pie last night was a flakier crunchy, and the Dinico pie middle was flabby. The Salerno pie middles were always fantastic (when we got the good ones)

Sauce - about the same, imo - thin and tangy. I like it that way.

Snausage - Salerno a clear winner, (imo.) Dinico's had a smidgeon of nutmeg? My Spidey Sense tasted something along those lines. Wasn't bad at all. and pretty plentiful.

Cheese - Salerno's was a cheese monster, but you PAID for it. The cheese on the Dinico pie was ample enough, but there was a complete difference in the amount each used. At Salerno's you PAID for it tho.

Took some cell pics - still trying to work the new fancy phone out for pics.
All in all, very decent pie, and the price is completely right. Pie last night was like 17 bux with a free liter of Diet Rite (my vice soda.) The same ordered pie at Salerno's would have been 25 buck it would come with more cheese, more snausage, and a crunchier, more flavorful crust, but Dinico's is definitely no slouch for the price point. Might be my "go to" pizza joint from now on.

marie

Al's Pizza in Cicero is featuring 1/2 price pizza every Monday.  I asked when this promo would end and they don't have an end date as of yet.  Great deal for great pizza.

Boris

We've been doing DiNico's Ultra-thin lately...VERY good. And we live so close that it gets here too hot to handle.
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

renovatorbear

Quote from: Boris on January 23, 2012, 05:11:50 PM
We've been doing DiNico's Ultra-thin lately...VERY good. And we live so close that it gets here too hot to handle.

Gonna have to try that, cuz I definitely was not happy with the crust on their regular pie.

renovatorbear

Quote from: marie on January 23, 2012, 04:25:37 PM
Al's Pizza in Cicero is featuring 1/2 price pizza every Monday.  I asked when this promo would end and they don't have an end date as of yet.  Great deal for great pizza.

Thanks for posting this.  We ordered pizza from Al's last night and it's gotten expensive. A large pie with 4 toppings, tax, delivery & $5 tip was $33.  ???

Bonster

I like Al's pizza when I'm eating in there.  For some reason, perhaps those hole-y platters they serve it on, the crust is much crisper eating in.  Plus they remodeled inside so the bar area's much nicer and up to date.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: Bonster on January 23, 2012, 07:35:19 PM
I like Al's pizza when I'm eating in there.  For some reason, perhaps those hole-y platters they serve it on, the crust is much crisper eating in.  Plus they remodeled inside so the bar area's much nicer and up to date.
Since we moved to Berwyn (almost 24 years ago) Al's has always been our favorite pizza.  The past 5 years or so we have had to order a football size pizza in order to have enough to feed everyone.  I have to honestly say that their football size is just not the same quality as their round sizes.  I usually order half cheese and half sausage/green pepper.   65% of it will end up being cheese and it seems like the cheese is stretched a little thin across the whole pizza.  We just rarely order pizza out anymore.  I buy good frozen pizza on sale and make it homemade here because I can't justify spending that much money on a pizza.  My kids do like DiNico's when they buy pizza on their own although I keep on telling them to stay the hell out of that part of town - LOL

bigolo

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Falco's Pizza on Cermak. This pizza reminds me of what Home Run Inn used to taste like in the eighties and nineties. Good stuff!

mustang54

Quote from: bigolo on January 24, 2012, 01:33:49 PM
I am surprised that no one has mentioned Falco's Pizza on Cermak. This pizza reminds me of what Home Run Inn used to taste like in the eighties and nineties. Good stuff!
Its still the best, by far!

Bonster

Quote from: mustang54 on January 24, 2012, 01:36:28 PM

+1

berwynguy

Quote from: Bonster on January 24, 2012, 01:37:25 PM
Quote from: mustang54 on January 24, 2012, 01:36:28 PM

+1

I agree!
Unfortunately, this ain't your grandmother's Berwyn anymore.

The Jackal

IMO, Falco's is the best pizza in the whole area, but hey, these are just MY taste buds talking.

Btw, just confirmed that Salerno's will in fact be moving into Brando's in an unspecified partnership/joint venture agreement.

The Jackal

Quote from: The Jackal on January 21, 2012, 02:27:21 AM
Speaking of all things Italian, can any of the BTF experts identify any of the below:

I thought this was taken in front of MW, but after a second look, I'm not so sure. I am, however, pretty sure that the guy on the far right is one of my closest friends..and the only one of the four not to attend MW. The guy second from the right has initials AD, I'm fairly certain.

Question is, can anyone identify the guy looking back with the glasses. Should be EASY for longtime Berwyn "experts"...a household name in the area.

The Jackal

Quote from: Pat on January 21, 2012, 08:17:00 PM
Quote from: berwynguy on January 21, 2012, 07:16:23 PM
Quote from: Pat on January 21, 2012, 05:50:21 AM
2nd from left.  Didn't he do time (along with his father) for some financial malfeasance connected to Cicero & Betty's administration?

Looks Like Mike Spano.

Pat I believe that photo's from a Morton West year book.

Hmmmm....thought Spano was a Friar.

The younger brother was a Friar. The older brother was a Falcon.