News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Mogees ... Wow!

Started by scungili, January 09, 2012, 03:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scungili

Check out the vid below of this wild new "instrument" ... Mogees.

It's a contact mic that works (on just about any surface) with software that records the motions or gestures that you establish with your hands & then after loading different sound samples into a specific folder, you associate those samples with the gestures.

http://www.youtube.com/v/erz-9f4M9B4?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0

mustang54

Quote from: scungili on January 09, 2012, 03:35:37 PM
Check out the vid below of this wild new "instrument" ... Mogees.

It's a contact mic that works (on just about any surface) with software that records the motions or gestures that you establish with your hands & then after loading different sound samples into a specific folder, you associate those samples with the gestures.

http://www.youtube.com/v/erz-9f4M9B4?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0
I think its more of a gadget than an instrument.

scungili

It'll come down to how someone uses it.  Kraftwerk used & built many things that could be written off as gadgets, but they used them effectively & influenced alot of musicians.

Maybe Mogees will end up being a new interpretation of a synthesizer.  I don't know the history of The Moog but it became an important part of rock music in the late 60's & 70's.  Then again, even though Leon Theremin didn't create his contraption as an "effect" ... that's pretty much what it became.

mustang54

Quote from: scungili on January 09, 2012, 07:15:54 PM
It'll come down to how someone uses it.  Kraftwerk used & built many things that could be written off as gadgets, but they used them effectively & influenced alot of musicians.

Maybe Mogees will end up being a new interpretation of a synthesizer.  I don't know the history of The Moog but it became an important part of rock music in the late 60's & 70's.  Then again, even though Leon Theremin didn't create his contraption as an "effect" ... that's pretty much what it became.
It is attached to a microphone and then altering the sound it picks up. Therefore I would think that makes it an effect rather than an instrument? The Moog made its sounds on its own through the use of the musician. This reminds me of like a flanger or phase shifter? The Theramin was an effect not an instrument.

scungili

The theremin wasn't designed as an effect, it was created to be the musical instrument "for the people".  I forget the year, but Leon Theremin created the device so that the people of Russia could play music without any training on (or the expense of) a traditional instrument.  Concerts were held featuring the theremin as a main instrument or along with an orchestra where it got solos.  Granted, its temperamental nature and learning curve didn't help it's popularity when Russia decided to show it off to the world.  But, the sounds were perfect for space invader & monster movies and since then it's been primarily relegated to being an effect. There still are people out there composing pieces solely on theremin though.  There's an interesting documentary about it that I saw on channel 11.

What I find interesting about this Mogees is that any surface can be turned into a series of sounds, so that one program can be just a keyboard, or maybe keys & drum sounds, or drums & odd sound samples that are controlled by a series of different hand movements.  The pressure, speed, sound and placement of these movements will register with the soundbank that is programmed that will give you a wide array of tones to work with.  Maybe by using two, you'll be able to generate varying chords - who knows?

A flanger, fuzz, phaser effect is just that ... one effect.  Yes they can be combined with eachother but on their own they really just help generate a single sound.  The Mogee appears to have the potential to be almost like a synthesizer with x-amount of keys ... it's all up to the person creating the movements & soundbank.