News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

Question about catch basins

Started by Boris, February 08, 2012, 01:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boris

So, rather recently, we discovered that the old catch basin in our back yard is actually still part of the active plumbing. We had thought that the plumbing had been re-routed to bypass it...but this is not the case.

It hasn't been cleaned in probably 25 years or more, and is packed with sediment resembling clay up to above where the kitchen drain enters it.

I've gotten a quote of $800 to empty it and "reverse jet" the incoming  drain pipe. Does this sound reasonable?
Only the impossible always happens.
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

Bonster

I thought I was overcharged at $325 back on '03 ... by Neptune Plumbing.

Interestingly they said it was about $180 to clean out a septic tank, which is technically a nastier, dirtier job!
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bonster

Recently, Terri was charged $500 by Neptune, although she stated they cleaned out her catch basins...

Quote from: Terri on July 27, 2011, 09:30:58 PM
Neptune cleaned our catch basins within the last two months, it was $500. I should have gotten other estimates but wanted it cleaned immediately. 

See what they say:
Neptune Sewer Service Sludge Removal
3839 Ridgeland Ave
Berwyn, IL 60402
(708) 484-3100

Homebody

When we first moved in, neighbors advised us to call Netune. Turns out our catch basin was like yours. They had to actually dig the sediment (that's a kind word for it) out by hand. Neptune comes every other year now. They have done other sewer work for us and we have been happy with their work.

Bonster

Quote from: Homebody on February 08, 2012, 02:59:11 PM
Neptune comes every other year now.

Overkill.  And if they tell you you need it every year you're being sold down the river. 

Catch basins are pretty deep, many feet below your home's entrance, which likely is only from your kitchen sink and basement tub.  That's quite a bit of sludge build up before you're backed up.  Decades, in fact.  You can check with a stick to see how high the muck is.

They have that long handled shovel to loosen the thick sludge up.

berwyn senator

Many years ago I was told to empty a bag of lime each year in the catch basin to keep the sludge and soap  from building up.Still I have it cleaned every 3-5 years they used a pump and always check the trap.

scoon

I'm happy with Neptune.  They have kept my sewer system tip top for over 5 years now.  They might be a bit more than others, I really don't know, I'm happy with the service and pretty loyal.

Plus I'd rather pay a few more bucks for the peace of mind of never having piss and sh*t in my basement cause the roots from the two trees out front have clogged up my sewer pipe to the main under OPA, which is clogged up by bodies of pit bull victims.

That said, $800 sounds pretty steep for what they're going to do.

Quote from: Bonster on February 08, 2012, 03:21:14 PM
Quote from: Homebody on February 08, 2012, 02:59:11 PM
Neptune comes every other year now.

Overkill.  And if they tell you you need it every year you're being sold down the river. 

It depends on the property though.  With my two trees in front I have them come every other year cause I would be in deep doo doo if I didn't.

Bonster

Quote from: scoon on February 08, 2012, 04:45:16 PM

It depends on the property though.  With my two trees in front I have them come every other year cause I would be in deep doo doo if I didn't.
Oh I agree, but cleaning out your catch basin is different then rodding out for roots and is not necessary every year. Your yearly root cleaning probably includes catch basin cleaning by default.

I draw picture driving 80 miles per hour right now:

scoon

Quote from: Bonster on February 08, 2012, 05:04:06 PM
Quote from: scoon on February 08, 2012, 04:45:16 PM

Oh I agree, but cleaning out your catch basin is different then rodding out for roots and is not necessary every year. Your yearly root cleaning probably includes catch basin cleaning by default.

I draw picture driving 80 miles per hour right now:

Very true...  I had rodding on the brain...  But believe it or not, the roots from the trees in front are actually growing into the catch basin.

I sometimes think that this one of these trees falls over in a storm, the root system is gonna take the whole damn house with it.

Bonster

The more I read the more I think $325 was probably fair.  I was just taken aback at that time when they said sucking poopies up cost less. 
Neptune was competent; it was these other jamokes I had over once to clean my pipes (Oooh!) that were terrible.

berwynson

Kinda stinky job, yes. My Dad took one of the long wooden poles my Mom used years earlier to prop up the clothesline when it sagged with too much weight, this was a bit thicker than a 1X2 furring strip, maybe 8-10 feet long, bent the handle on a stout saucepan about 8" in diameter at a right angle, then screwed the handle to one end of the wooden pole. This meant the bucket was horizontal, as when sitting on a stove, while the pole was vertically lowered down into the catch basin. The lip of the saucepan, submerged and raised upwards, scraped through the accumulated soap and scum, it was kinda waxy, gritty, somewhat soft, and remained in the pan, which he raised up and dumped out. Repeated lowerings cleaned the damn sewer out pretty well. WTH, I lived there 30 years, more if included in the womb, and we NEVER once had a "professional" touch that sewer.    :-X

berwynson

Robert Pauly

My driveway drain (connected to the catch basin) wasn't draining properly, so I popped the cover on the catch basin for the first time in 10 years - clean as a whistle.  Perhaps the three, hundred year floods cleaned it out - might explain the black crap floating over my basement floor.

berwyn senator

Several years ago in my first bungalow I started having a back up problem,discovered there was no trap,large pieces of solids would block the drain to the street during a heavy rain.Back then men used to walk the alleys asking if people wanted there catch basins cleaned for twenty five dollars or what ever you could bargain for.I purchased the trap and made a deal with two of these guys to clean the basin and install the trap for seventy five dollars.The smaller of the two climbed down into the basin and installed the trap,took him about an hour and a half.When he climbed out he looked like shit and smelled like shit, after rinsing off with the garden hose,off they both went looking for more basins to clean.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

$800 sounds outrageous.  We haven't had ours done since we moved in 17 years ago but need it done this spring according to the plumber.  My husband got a quote of $250 or $275 over the phone from a place called Permidt out of Franklin Park last year.  I think we'll give Neptune a call since others in the area have used them and have been pleased.  For a little more money I'd rather go with a company that's been recommended by locals unless they turn out to be twice as much for one basin.  In that case I can't think cleaning out that stuff is all that complicated - just nasty.

Mrs.Pete

Years ago when we had our catch basin cleaned in a rental property, the cleaner pulled out lots of feminine products not intended to be flushed. He asked me to ring the bell of the women tenants to tell them to come outside so he could give them a lecture. Nasty, but they listened and it never happened again.

PamF

red mice I believe is the technical term...... ;D

Bonster

Quote from: Mrs.Pete on February 10, 2012, 10:51:56 AM
Years ago when we had our catch basin cleaned in a rental property, the cleaner pulled out lots of feminine products not intended to be flushed. He asked me to ring the bell of the women tenants to tell them to come outside so he could give them a lecture. Nasty, but they listened and it never happened again.

He should have repaired your plumbing - toilets should not be going to the catch basin.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Bonster on February 10, 2012, 12:48:30 PM

He should have repaired your plumbing - toilets should not be going to the catch basin.

No shit!   ;D

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: Bonster on February 10, 2012, 12:48:30 PM

Yes, when we had the plumber out for the sewage backing up in the basement we were informed it was feminine products and they rodded all the way out to the alley - I think that was covered at length in another thread.  We had them out just last week because all water from upstairs was backing up in the basement laundry tub and they fixed that in a jiffy.  They did tell us that the catch basin needed to be cleaned out but they don't do that - I'm pretty sure most plumbers don't.  I guess I can't complain since we haven't done it once in 17 years.  I am very careful draining anything with grease that I'm cooking into a coffee can and making sure that none goes down the sink but I guess there are plenty of other things that accumulate in there.