News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Glenview referendun defeated

Started by buzz, February 15, 2012, 07:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzz

Here's a link to the article
http://glenview.patch.com/articles/district-31-parents-feel-abandoned-face-1-million-in-cuts-after-property-tax-referendum-failed

In a nutshell, a school referendum in Glenview (a much more affluent suburb than Berwyn ) was defeated.  It was to cover a $4M shortfall, much less than the $14M for capital projects that D100 wanted.

At least they took their agenda directly to the voters.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

Robert Pauly

An apples to apples comparison, surely.

As many districts do - especially those in low income communities - perhaps they might reconsider taking their agenda directly to the voters next time.  The back door wouldn't be necessary if the front door were open.

watcher

Quote from: Robert Pauly on February 16, 2012, 12:31:09 PM

As many districts do - especially those in low income communities - perhaps they might reconsider taking their agenda directly to the voters next time.  The back door wouldn't be necessary if the front door were open.

"Spectacles fit noses not because God created noses to fit spectacles".

Not asking the question because you know you won't like the answer, then insisting that the question has been satisfactorily answered without having been asked?

Stop the insanity!
"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

Ted

Yeah, but some people don't even try the front door, even when it may be opened.

I don't think people should always assume the front door will always be closed and that, therefore, the only alternative is to sneak through the back door.

Why not test the front door to see if it's unlocked?  Why assume it's always closed?

Isn't that a better approach than a sneak attack through the back door?

Robert Pauly

Front door or back door - it doesn't matter to me - what fries my ass is inaction - DACEE made the preschool recommendation almost two years ago - meanwhile, the entire educational community is touting preschool as the real Silver Bullet - and here we sit, in typical Berwyn fashion - doing nothing.

Three types of communities: those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those, who from the beginning of time, and probably until the end of time, say "What the hell happened?"  I'm tired of being in the third category - thousands of kids are comprised - I'm tired of crime, gangs, drugs, Pitt Bulls, blaring cars, connections to organized crime, drug dealers, etc. - it's time for action - front door or back door - and I have communicated this in these words to the D100 board.  D98 is another issue - they don't deserve a pass, either.

This being said, there are reasons why low income communities are low income communities, and lack of foresight is one of them.  An unwillingness to support a better lifestyle via higher taxes is another.  For these reasons, and more, districts choose the back door - districts in low income communities run up the debt - because defeat of referendums is a foregone conclusion.  So, given the choice of inaction or the back door, I choose the back door.

Bonster

Quote from: Robert Pauly on February 17, 2012, 08:16:59 AM
DACEE made the preschool recommendation almost two years ago - meanwhile, the entire educational community is touting preschool as the real Silver Bullet

One of the recommendations in the teachers' union's 800 million dollar proposal to fix CPS is universal preschool.

Carry on.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Bonster on February 17, 2012, 10:54:13 AM
DACEE made the preschool recommendation almost two years ago - meanwhile, the entire educational community is touting preschool as the real Silver Bullet

One of the recommendations in the teachers' union's 800 million dollar proposal to fix CPS is universal preschool.

Carry on.

Mark,

Here is what I don't get.  How can D100 voters force D98 (a separate district) to implement preschool? 

I think most people would consider "universal" to mean that alls students in a DISTRICT get to attend preschool.

The objection that D100 should not do something because D98 isn't doing it is like arguing that because D148 isn't doing something, neither should D98 or D100.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bonster

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on February 17, 2012, 12:14:53 PM
Quote from: Bonster on February 17, 2012, 10:54:13 AM

Carry on.

Mark,

Here is what I don't get.  How can D100 voters force D98 (a separate district) to implement preschool? 

I think most people would consider "universal" to mean that alls students in a DISTRICT get to attend preschool.

The objection that D100 should not do something because D98 isn't doing it is like arguing that because D148 isn't doing something, neither should D98 or D100.

Wow, do you have that wrong.  Every sentence.

Bonster

In reverse order...

1) The objection has nothing to do with D98 not doing it.  The objection has to do with the expected outcome and the complete waste of precious tax dollars.  I can't blame pragmatic thinkers in the district for being against the proposal as stated.  Serving a subset of a subset will get us nowhere, only a few.  Mr. Pauly pretty much admitted there's no proof that serving a few would correct the whole, here.  It is self-serving, and would not ultimately reduce the mobility rate.

2) I think most people would consider "universal" to mean universal, not "universal."  If you want to limit your scope, it should be local, as in Berwyn.  Yet, per the STATED objectives, and your suggestion (DISTRICT), then yes, it should be made available universally - to everyone served by DISTRICT 201.

3) Why should D100 do anything with regard to D98?  What about ... CARES?

Now... if Mr. Fields can finagle his way in to 98 and implement the same (via "soft consolidation") you've got my vote.

OakParkSpartan

Your last sentence is an excellent point.

As a resident of D98, you don't have a vote in D100, and likewise for a voter in D100.  They are separate school districts, regardless of what municipality it falls under.

As for 1) the outcomes seem to have been studied and found that preschool DOES provide a benefit to students.  As for mobility rates, I don't think that is really a concern of educators, at least in the way most people around here discuss it.

2)  So you are saying Berwyn should not implement preschool unless Cicero, Stickney, McCook and I think a slice of Brookfield implements pre-school?  Because that is what you just advocated with your definition of "universal".

3) CARES is an advocacy group.  It is not the school board.  What it does or does not do shouldn't affect what is good education policy for the school district. 

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Robert Pauly

Preschool benefits children.  Saving Berwyn is a side benefit.

If both districts adopt preschool for all, fantastic - 2000 kids will benefit.  If D98 doesn't believe, 1000 children is better than nothing.

D100 has Smart technology.  Half of their kids go home with a laptop or notebook.  They have full day kindergarten.  They're considering preschool for all.  Their test scores are beginning to soar.

IMO, this puts the heat on D98, assuming there's someone to turn the dial.  And that someone is not CARES - it's parents and taxpayers.

Bonster

Quote from: Robert Pauly on February 17, 2012, 03:07:08 PM
Preschool benefits children.  Saving Berwyn is a side benefit.

The primary benefit, not "side" benefit, as stated by the District,  Stan fields and you - was ultimately to improve the test scores at the high school level, in turn improving the community thereby reducing the mobility rate.  It was never stated to be a matter of charity for some.

Nice cop out on the CARES front.

Bonster

The outcomes seem to have been studied and found that preschool DOES provide a benefit to students. 
Yes, a self-serving benefit.  Where's our municipal benefit?  We do support school districts, but to what end?  Spending millions to help a few?  (That 1000 number was a guess)    This isn't the same argument that those who don't use Fire Dept services shouldn't have to pay for them. 

So you are saying Berwyn should not implement preschool unless Cicero, Stickney, McCook and I think a slice of Brookfield implements pre-school?  Because that is what you just advocated with your definition of "universal".
No.  I advocated Berwyn.  The other option was based (more logically) on your District idea.

CARES is an advocacy group.  It is not the school board.   
As is DACEE, who advocated for D100.  Likewise, they are not the school board.  What they do or do not do shouldn't affect what is good education policy for the school district.   And thankfully for the residents of D100, they didn't.

Robert Pauly

Bonster

The Jackal

The Jackal

The Jackal

Quote from: Bonster on February 17, 2012, 03:58:38 PM
The outcomes seem to have been studied and found that preschool DOES provide a benefit to students. 
Yes, a self-serving benefit.

+3.

buzz

Nope,  an economic fact of life.  Taxpayers everywhere are over-burdened.  D001 has too much debt.  D98 is positioned beautifully.  D98 has made the necessary concentrated effort to reign in the budget.  D100 ?  NOT !
That's probably why Field's has offered to "share" districts; because D98 is financially healthy.  And, do you think Fields' services would be free ?  C'mon, it's 2 Titles, 2 salaries.  Too sad.
I think Pauly & Co. should set aside their collective guilt trip and stop rushing this thing.

On another note, what's the tax rate for D98 compared to D100 ?  Isn't there a difference ?
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

The Jackal

I don't get ANY part of this post.

Front door or back door - it doesn't matter to me - what fries my ass is inaction

If "inaction" is what fries ones ass, then maybe having that ass pay for private school tuition would alleviate the burning sensation instead of having other unwilling asses trying to put out the fire.....OR......

maybe have that fried ass ask the tough questions of the ass (Lovero & Co.), metaphorically speaking, that really put the blow torch to the hide instead of firing missiles ONLY Cicero's way.

Quoteand here we sit, in typical Berwyn fashion - doing nothing.

No, you may not be paying attention...Berwyn simply said it's not going to get done the way you want it to get done.

QuoteThree types of communities: those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those, who from the beginning of time, and probably until the end of time, say "What the hell happened?"  I'm tired of being in the third category - thousands of kids are comprised - I'm tired of crime, gangs, drugs, Pitt Bulls, blaring cars, connections to organized crime, drug dealers, etc. -

Three types of people: those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that demand everybody else help make it happen.

Quoteit's time for action
-

Sure is...start by consolidating school district(s)....only if the proper political infrastructure is in place will a tax increase referrendum stand any chance of passing.....

Quotefront door or back door

.....and then ONLY through the FRONT door...deceipt is a wretched concept.

QuoteThis being said, there are reasons why low income communities are low income communities, and lack of foresight is one of them.

I'd say lack of income brings "lack of foresight"...

QuoteAn unwillingness to support a better lifestyle via higher taxes is another.

You can't support something you may not be able to afford. Ironic how some who want a "better lifestyle" are unwilling to dig their hands SOLELY in their own pockets and make it happen. St. Mary's is a mile away, Fenwick two miles away or so....all it takes is dipping into that pocket instead of expecting everyone else to dig in also.