News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Outdoor Firepits - Legal?

Started by Fer, February 20, 2012, 07:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fer

Did a search and about 3 years ago, this topic came up. Someone said that at that time, they were legal, but there was some talk about banning them.  Also said that they need to be 10 feet or so from anything combustible, etc.  Just wondering if anyone has any updated information.  I looked and could not find anything specific.

And, as we speak, my inconsiderate a-hole neighbors are out in the yard with the firepit blazing, the grill fired up, and a party is breaking out.   Their firepit is about 3 feet from my wooden fence. 

Yes, it's Monday night and it's February.  They  must be gearing up for a rockin' summer! 

Grrrrrr....time to get in touch with Officer Sassetti again.

"Life is short. Enjoy it."
J. Sullivan, 7/28/06

pcm1112

Is that the same group of clowns that had the police truck watching them?

Fer

Yep, these are same jerks!  They just don't get it.
"Life is short. Enjoy it."
J. Sullivan, 7/28/06

Berwyn Patsy

Check with the police or some one in city hall 5 years ago I was told they were illegal.
I can't believe they would (the city) now wipe that ordinance out and allow them?

PamF

Quote from: Fer on February 20, 2012, 08:59:59 PM
Yep, these are same jerks!  They just don't get it.
Or they do; they know they can get away with it!

redv10

Why not just call the Berwyn FD non-emergency line and ask? And if they are legal and three feet from your fence,call the PD out next time.

chandasz

I'm a little confused-- people are mad because neighbors are out enjoying their backyard and it's not an ungodly hour?

Now- I understand being mad when raucus parties go on until the wee hours but we live in a city, folks. We need to be able to handle some of this....

Personally-- I love having people over on a warm evening and hanging outside. All our neighbors have firepits. If we smell it inside and it bothers us- we close a window. I mean- I smell my neighbors cooking, I smell when they have a cigarette in their house with the window open.... Yes- sometimes it's annoying but that's life.

Mrs.Pete

My daughter has a big yard, with a firepit sort of in the middle. The suburb where she lives only allows them for cooking, so on a coolish evening she keeps marshmallows and sticks nearby when they are sitting outside.

Juliet

In my opinion, we live on a block full of brick octagon bungalows that have the tiniest of yards.  We live way too close for a fire pit in your neighbor's yard.  My bedroom overlooks my backyard.  When my neighbor lights up the fire pit, it's as if it is in the center of my room when I have the window open.  It's dangerous being near a wooden fence, plus it is unfair to asthmatics to have to breathe in such fumes at so close a proximity in their own bedrooms.  I find it hard to believe they are legal.
Train a child in the way that he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.   Proverbs 22:6