News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Need Washing Machine Repairs Recs, Please

Started by Fer, July 26, 2011, 06:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fer

Hi.
Our (at least) 7 year old Whirlpool washer's agitator has decided not to spin anymore, and not drain, either.  We have looked online & tried the recommended trouble-shooting, but to no avail.

Anyone has a Maytag-type repairman?

Thanks!

"Life is short. Enjoy it."
J. Sullivan, 7/28/06

Katekyle

Had our whirlpool dryer repaired last week by Abbott.  Don't know how they compare price wise, didn't shop around.  Came out same day and had parts in truck - quick repair. 

http://www.abbottappliancerepair.com

Fer

Katekyle, can I ask what they charged?  Was it a major part or anything that needed to be replaced? 
J. Sullivan, 7/28/06

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Given the average life of newer appliances you might be better off buying new.  The appliance repair companies really have you.  Most charge a service charge just to come out and diagnose your problem and give you a price for repair.  They will then apply that amount to your bill for repair.  Of course, you stand there scratching your head and figure since you're going to have to pay them anyway you might as well have it repaired.  My last washer my husband bought used from a church resale shop.  It's roughly a 25 to 30 year old Maytag with all the bells and whistles they had at the time.  I've had it about 8 to 10 years now with no problems whatsoever and I wash clothes constantly.  That's when the Maytag repairman was lonely.

Keeks

Try this guy:

M & R Refrigeration and Appliance Repair
708-715-8350 Matt

there's a whole thread on him under appliance repair in bungalow love.

he's fixed both our fridge and dryer recently.  he's super nice, very reasonably priced, and quick. 

TyRy

Quote from: Keeks on July 26, 2011, 10:03:39 AM
Try this guy:

M & R Refrigeration and Appliance Repair
708-715-8350 Matt

there's a whole thread on him under appliance repair in bungalow love.

he's fixed both our fridge and dryer recently.  he's super nice, very reasonably priced, and quick. 

Matt was out last week to fix our stove and was all the things Keeks mentioned.  Wouldn't hesitate to call him again for another appliance repair.

Fer

I called Matt at M&R, and he was very nice on the phone and will be at my house tonight at 6!

Thanks...and I'll report back.
J. Sullivan, 7/28/06

Fer

Based on recs here, I called Matt at M & R this a.m.  He was very pleasant on the phone.  Was here tonight at 6 p.m. (actually a little bit before) like he said he would be. 

Knew right away what the problem was, and he had the part in his van.  Fixed it right up & was out the door for $139!  I was pretty happy about that, since I was looking at the prices of new machines...yikes! 

So, I would highly recommend him to anyone.  He's local; lives in Berwyn & goes to St. Leonard's.  Nice guy - and he liked my mutant doxie (who thinks everyone comes over only to see him)!!   ;D

Here is all of his info:

Matt
M & R Refrigeration
www.mandrrefrigeration.com
708-788-5533
Cell: 708-715-8350

J. Sullivan, 7/28/06

dualref

I'm willing to bet that the part the repairman replaced was the drive coupler. This part is there to prevent damage to the transmission. If you overload it and it puts too much stress on the tranny
then it breaks instead of the transmission. The part costs around $15.00 and is very easy to replace.
You can make it last longer if you take your blankets & pillows to a laundromat.

Your machine is what's known as a Whirlpool direct drive machine. From 1986 until about 2008 Whirlpool made literally millions and millions of these machines. Parts will be available for them for the next 50 years. Parts are cheap and the machine is very easy to work on. Everything on it is modular.
I advise you keep this machine.  The new stuff sold today is not as good as what you have and will definitely not last as long.  I have a 1993 version of this machine & dryer and have only had one problem with the agitator. I bought the parts online and in 15 minutes had the machine up and running again. The parts only cost $18.00. I'll have this machine for another 20 years!