Depot District/Ogden Avenue TIF Commission Meeting (BDC)

Started by Shelley, January 27, 2006, 01:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelley

Well, I am following through on my New Year's Resolution.  Here is my take on the meeting yesterday.  Please add or correct any misinformation.  I was taking notes fast and I don't have a complete understanding of all of the topics. 

1.  Ogden Avenue:  Somewhere on Odgen Avenue there are two signs, one on the East and one on the West side.  I think they mark Route 66 somehow, but I must admit I've never noticed them.  Anyway, they are both damaged and there were two bids by companies to repair them.  One for $35,000 and one for $17,000.  I think each sign cost about $50,000...there is some kind of electrical work involved??  Anyway some company called Aurora sign without authority dismantled the sign on the West part of Ogden in order to repair it.  The discussion dealt with repairing the sign...is it worth it...what is the look of Ogden Avenue.  More to come. 

2.  Depot District:  Announcement about Sedgwick properties Grand opening.  They are currently in the selling and marketing process.  I asked what businesses might end up in the retail part.  Caribou, Starbucks, and a restaurant are all possibilities, though nothing official has been determined. 

Chew Chew Cafe in Riverside wants to find a place in the Depot District.  They haven't found the right spot for the right price, but they are still very interested. 

The Windsor Cafe (the old copperfield's) building is for sale.  The price has been lowered to 2.5 million from 2.750 million. 

The parking structure was discussed.  I was happy to hear some details regarding elevator size, security cameras, etc.  It seems that this project is actually progressing.  No particulars discussed regarding funding the project.  They are looking at some types of creative funding like advertising electronically on the turnstiles (sp?). 

MacNeal is moving forward with plans to build a 760 space 4 story parking structure on their property (3300 block of Euclid) for employee parking.  The new CEO there was credited with getting this going.  It was reported that in MacNeal's parking study they found that 400 employees park illegally on Berwyn streets.  It was also discussed that once the parking structure is built, MacNeal may be interested in selling their lot near the PAV YMCA where employees can currently park and take a shuttle. 

Berwyn Banners.  There was a request for bids (one for printing and installing and one for design) for Banners to hang on major streets in Berwyn.  The top 3/4 of each banner would be a universal design and the bottom 1/4 would have the business' name that sponsored that banner.  They would be paid for by sponsoring businesses with perhaps some TIF money to be used for "fill in" banners.  The committee may pick choices to be presented to the CIty Council for their feedback. 

And now the exciting part:  a route 66/cartopia group (Berwyn Arts Council?) has a car displayed at the World of Wheels at McCormick Place East.  There will be a group handing out literature promoting Berwyn, the BDC, and the Berwyn car shows.  They plan to hand out something like 5,000 pieces of literature.  The car that is on display has the front hood decorated with hot rod flames made up of paper money from all over the world and the back part is covered in 15,000 real coins. They are thinking of naming it something like "The million dollar baby".  This is to promote Cartopia, mentioned in another thread on this board about the Berwyn Arts Council.

By the way, the Berwyn Arts Council is planning a 5K run for the arts in June. 

Berwyn Historical Society will have the antique show on Sat April 22.

Lori Thielen of Serendipity Antiques reported having her business and another antique show advertised in two different antiqueing publications.  She says many of her customers report seeing her business from the train.  They are coming back from Western suburbs to shop here in Berwyn.  Hope this is a sign of things to come...

Forgive any mistakes.  I'll get better as I begin to attend regularly again.  FYI the meetings are the 4th Thursday of every month at 4:30 at the Bank on Oak Park avenue across from MacNeal.  It would be great to get someone to go to the Cermak Road TIF meetings and report back to this board.  Anyone interested??   

markberwyn

Quote from: Shelley on January 27, 2006, 01:30:46 PM
1.  Ogden Avenue:  Somewhere on Odgen Avenue there are two signs, one on the East and one on the West side.  I think they mark Route 66 somehow, but I must admit I've never noticed them.  Anyway, they are both damaged and there were two bids by companies to repair them.  One for $35,000 and one for $17,000.  I think each sign cost about $50,000...there is some kind of electrical work involved??  Anyway some company called Aurora sign without authority dismantled the sign on the West part of Ogden in order to repair it.  The discussion dealt with repairing the sign...is it worth it...what is the look of Ogden Avenue.  More to come. 

I know the signs they're talking about--they're more like pediment-type structures that say something like "Welcome to Berwyn," with a Route 66 logo and opaque multicolored lighting. (Hence the electrical issues.) One's on the eastbound side of Ogden near the Blockbuster; the other's on the westbound side just west of Lombard.

Both look the same. Both are ugly. Neither is worth $5 worth of repairs; chuck 'em, I say. Maybe it's just me, and I imagine some of the older folks here will disagree, but I never thought that Route 66 was a great selling point for Berwyn; there's a lame excuse for a Route 66 "museum" in the restaurant on Cuyler whose name escapes me, and Lyons certainly claims a more fun stretch of Route 66 (Joliet Road) than Ogden in Berwyn, which is bumpy and crowded.

If there must be a "Welcome to Berwyn" sign here, something simple and non-electrical will do the job just as well.

"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

shrugger

great work, Shelley. you are an inspiration.

Chew Chew Cafe in Riverside wants to find a place in the Depot District.  They haven't found the right spot for the right price, but they are still very interested. 

I'll back up the comments of others and say that I really like the Chew Chew Cafe ... we are likely to become regular customers if something similar came into the DD. at the same time, it seems to me that the DD and downtown Riverside are pretty darn close to each other. I wonder if they are interested in opening up a second CCC or whether it is just that the owners are looking into opening another restaurant.

QuoteMacNeal is moving forward with plans to build a 760 space 4 story parking structure on their property (3300 block of Euclid) for employee parking.  The new CEO there was credited with getting this going.  It was reported that in MacNeal's parking study they found that 400 employees park illegally on Berwyn streets.  It was also discussed that once the parking structure is built, MacNeal may be interested in selling their lot near the PAV YMCA where employees can currently park and take a shuttle. 

and the long-term solution to the Y parking problem appears? I'm not sure which lot this is ...

QuoteIt would be great to get someone to go to the Cermak Road TIF meetings and report back to this board.  Anyone interested??   

where/when are the Cermak TIF meetings, Shelley?
we must cultivate our garden

ruffian

Markberwyn, disrespecting our portion of Route 66 is akin to defacing the Virgin Mary. 

http://www.il66assoc.org/

http://www.route-66-memories.com/

http://www.route66hd.com/intro.html

Route 66 is part of our history shared with many other cities and states.  It's UNIQUE.  We are part of history whether you like it or not. 

all this disrespect coming from the man (I'm only presuming it's a man) who said of the mural painted on the Walgreens at the Plaza .... "Art that attempted to please everybody would unquestionably be worse."

Not sure where they grow some of these forum people.  geeesh

Berwyn Patsy

Markberwyn, Ruf is right. Route 66 is a part of our past, is still here and parts of it will always be in our future. Guess you really had to be part of it to understand the meaning of it.

pkd50

Don't 'dis Route 66.   Although, I never thought the signs were that great.  I like the design, but they weren't big enough.  They were easy to miss.  Shelley did.   By the way, nice job of reporting Shelley.

scoon

Thanks Shelley!  Great job.  You've shown me that it's possible to report on meetings and not be snarky...   :D

The Windsor Cafe...  help me out.  Is that the sports bar?

OakParkSpartan

The Spindle is also part of Berwyn's history.  Half the people around here would like to see it sent to China and melted down for whatever.  Should the same logic apply?

I like Cermak Plaza.  If the art could be spruced up, it would help a lot.  Decent stores would help more.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Terri

Good reporting Shelley. Thanks for the reminder of the next meeting.

Markberwyn,

Get your kicks on Route 66. Driving '66 is a major vacation destination. Promote, promote, promote.   

markberwyn

Quote from: ruffian on January 27, 2006, 03:51:48 PMall this disrespect coming from the man (I'm only presuming it's a man) who said of the mural painted on the Walgreens at the Plaza .... "Art that attempted to please everybody would unquestionably be worse."

Not sure where they grow some of these forum people.  geeesh

I don't see how my opinions about the Cermak Plaza mural and the Route 66 signage are in contradiction with one another. I suspect that ruffian's being reflexively contrary because we've had disagreements in the past. At any rate, I'm not sure what she's grousing about in this particular instance.

I grew up in Lyons, so I know what Route 66 is. And I understand its importance in American pop culture, driving culture, ect, ect, ect. It's pretty obvious that wasn't disrespecting Route 66, and I'm not against promoting the fact that a portion of Route 66 runs through Berwyn. What I'm saying is that spending five figures on a pair of fugly signs is a piss-poor promotional tactic.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

ruffian

OakPark comparing the spindle to Route66 which goes from Chicago to California ... which is still something people across the "nation" participate in and make a hobby of is ridiculous.

Markberwyn, my response was addressed more to your post of " I never thought that Route 66 was a great selling point for Berwyn".  Route 66 has NEVER been a sellling point of Berwyn.  Its homes are.  Now we will be adding commercial development and CARE will be trying to improve the schools.  Those are all the elements that will sell Berwyn.  We, as well as Lyons and other near by towns, all enjoy the rich history that that goes with being a part of Route 66.

OakParkSpartan

More people know Berwyn from seeing the Spindle in Wayne's World than know about Berwyn because of Route 66.  Think about it, one of many, or one of a kind.  Which would you rather have?

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

ruffian

Wayne's World ... yes, of course ... why didn't I think of that ...

we all know that everyone has watched Wayne's World and would clearly remember that over Route 66

yes of course

Ana

Quote from: markberwyn on January 27, 2006, 01:56:54 PM
Both look the same. Both are ugly. Neither is worth $5 worth of repairs; chuck 'em, I say. Maybe it's just me, and I imagine some of the older folks here will disagree, but I never thought that Route 66 was a great selling point for Berwyn; there's a lame excuse for a Route 66 "museum" in the restaurant on Cuyler whose name escapes me, and Lyons certainly claims a more fun stretch of Route 66 (Joliet Road) than Ogden in Berwyn, which is bumpy and crowded.

If there must be a "Welcome to Berwyn" sign here, something simple and non-electrical will do the job just as well.

I know the signs also.  I didn't think they were too bad.  I have to disagree with you that Route 66 is not a good selling point for Berwyn.  It could be that I am south of Ogden, but I like that I can walk to the Car Show every year and other businesses.  It is a part of Berwyn that many people see when they drive through to go to work, etc.  Berwyn would be a fool if we didn't capitalize on that little detail.  Especifically, because of the auto dealers, repair shops, and diners that are already there, not to mention our wonderful Berwyn Toys Trains and Hobbies which is mentioned on a lot of children's websites as a place to find certain items.  Route 66 is a good part of Berwyn's History. 

The electrical signs are fine, it goes with the theme that we are trying to promote for our stretch of Route 66.  Maybe a different design, a little brighter???? more retro??? to stand out from all of the already incredibly bright signs on the surrounding businesses.  I like the neon on Route 66.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

Ana

The Windsor Cafe (the old copperfield's) building is for sale.  The price has been lowered to 2.5 million from 2.750 million.

Lori Thielen of Serendipity Antiques reported having her business and another antique show advertised in two different antiqueing publications.  She says many of her customers report seeing her business from the train.  They are coming back from Western suburbs to shop here in Berwyn.  Hope this is a sign of things to come...

Shelly, what a great job of reporting.  It is so good to hear good things are coming for the City in which we chose to live!  Thank you.

I am pretty happy to hear that the Windsor is for sale and am hoping for an "Ale House" or something similar to go in its place.

Also, doesn't Lori have a store in Forest Park?  I have been in her Berwyn store a couple of times already.  I truly like what she has brought to the City, more attraction and more antique shops for me to walk to and through.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

Ana

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on January 27, 2006, 05:12:48 PM
The Spindle is also part of Berwyn's history.  Half the people around here would like to see it sent to China and melted down for whatever.  Should the same logic apply?

I like Cermak Plaza.  If the art could be spruced up, it would help a lot.  Decent stores would help more.

Cheers,
Brian

I like Cermak Plaza too.  I think it needs more green, more flowers, more benches, to break up the eternal concrete parking lot. 

OakParkSpartan

I think some bushes and benches around the spindle, along with a walk leading from Cermak to the Plaza might make it a little more pedestrian (and also auto) friendly.  Berwyn Gardens is a nice park just across the street, and tying the two together could make for a nice space.  However, we'd probably have to contend with dead pedestrians due to them trying to cross Cermak.  :(

Cheers,
Brian

Bear

Actually most of the fatalities of pedestrians have occured at the stop light
by Walgreens heading back out to Harlem. The poor little old ones get hit
trying to cross at that point...Its a very wide intersection and you have many turns
there
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

ruffian

Art, I'm glad to hear you support Route 66.  Our Ogden Avenue corridor is looking pretty good these days.  I can remember back when it looked kinda shabby.  Route 66, cars, the 50's, the American Grafitti look and feel is very popular and probably always will be.  What do we have on Ogden as businesses besides fast food restaurants, sit down restaurants & take out?  We have businesses that deal with car ownership.  Repair, restoration, sales, decorating, parts.  It's where we hold our big Route 66 Car Show.  The only thing missing is like back in the old days with a Dave's Big Boy, and the girls on roller skates, hanging your tray on the car window.  So I agree with Art.  Yes, Route 66 should definitely be played up for our stretch of Route 66.

But, I agree with markberwyn the amount stated is quite a bit of money to repair the signs.  Maybe we better shop around.

As far as the plaza goes, anyone who thinks that the plaza is not an eyesore needs to get a vision test, or should I say, a "lack of vision" test.  Cause what I "envision" is something more modern and equitable.  The present businesses can become part of that, but the way it is now, bushes and benches to me is not going to change anything to attract shoppers to that area.

Ana

Hi Ruffian,

What do you mean modern and equitable?  Details -- I'd like to hear what you have in mind. . . let's dream.