News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Chimney/Contractor problem

Started by buzz, March 21, 2012, 09:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzz

What happens if I reverse a charge because of a problem install ?  Here's my story.
Had a furnace installed.  No problem.  They replaced the chimney liner and nothing but problems.  They didn't cement/secure the cap properly and within 2 weeks the wind was actually moving it around.  That cap would have blown off if it weren't clamped to the liner.  So after 2 months (from installation) they arrive and put a different colored adhesive (patch) around the cap.  That started flaking and falling off in big pieces.  I took some of them to the office and they promised to send someone out.  The guy shows up and applies a skim coat of cement on top of the older problem hydraulic stuff.  Now they don't want to strip it down and start all over.  I've patched cement and I know the 1st freeze is gonna' be a problem again.  There's now 3 different adhesives/cement layers.  He says he'll guarantee this work for 5 yrs.  I don't know he'll be around for 5 yrs.
  I gave them a cashier's check for the furnace but when we found out I'd need a liner they took my charge card !  The credit company will reverse it for me but then what ?  Can they ignore fixing it and just put a lien on my house ?  Do they sue me ?  HELP.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

OakParkSpartan

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

buzz

Yep, I know, but I was hoping to avoid his $60 (possibly more) fee.  I can probably get this fixed properly for an additional $250-$300 but I'm pissed.  Why should I pay again ?
I already paid this Berwyn business for the job back in November.

Oddly, today I mentioned this to one of the neighbors that recommended these cowboys, and he said he doesn't use them anymore.  Now he tells me ! 

berwynguy

Unfortunately, this ain't your grandmother's Berwyn anymore.

OakParkSpartan

Contact the building dept and collectors office.  They should be bonded.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

buzz

Thanks.  I just got off the phone with my credit card folks.
I can reverse/dispute the charge that was made to the "locally owned and operated" company called Paul's Heating & Cooling.

berwynguy

Quote from: buzz on March 22, 2012, 10:44:55 AM
I can reverse/dispute the charge that was made to the "locally owned and operated" company called Paul's Heating & Cooling.

Oh my god!!!  I have a story about those assholes that I will share later!

berwynguy

Quote from: buzz on March 22, 2012, 10:44:55 AM

Buzz, back in late 2006 I got a flier in the mail from Paul's Heating and Cooling on 26th St.  I figured, what the hell, let's give some work to a Berwyn business.  We had an issue with our boiler and I called them to come out and take a look at it.  I was at work at the time and my wife met the technician.  I call her and ask how it was going and she says that the guy is replacing parts.  I say huh?  I didn't authorize him to do anything.  My wife starts to question him and he starts yelling at her.  I tell her to put him on the phone and I ask what the hell he is doing.  He starts barking at me and says that "he's fixing it."  I said that he NEVER even told us what he was doing and for yelling at my wife he can get the FUCK out of my house.  He drops the phone and picks up his shit and storms out.  I was so pissed that I left work and went straight to Paul's storefront.  I spoke with the owner who was apologetic and said, "yeah, that guy is a bit of an asshole."  I said, then why the fuck did you hire him and send him to deal with your customers?  He said, "hey, what am I supposed to do, good help is hard to find."  WTF???  I told him to shove the bill up his ass and that I would NOT pay it.  He just sat there and didn't say anything and never did anything about the bill. 

I learned two lessons from that.  One, NEVER go in cold and hire a company that was NOT recommended by someone you trust.  Two, I never stuck my wife to deal with some jag off contractor alone again.  They have to deal directly with me, a tough match for any jag off out there. 

Peridot 16

Good for you berwyn guy. His response"good help is hard to find"....maybe "Paul" should be willing to pay a decent wage for "good help". My neighbors had a nightmare of an experience with this place about 10 yrs. ago. I'm surprised there still in business.

buzz

This is ridiculous.  Today I was picking up small pieces of cement from my deck.  That skim coat they put on to seal the chimney cap is now chipping ? From the heavy rain ?
I gotta take pictures of this.