News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Chinese Hot Mustard ?

Started by scungili, May 23, 2012, 02:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scungili

I've tried (and been disappointed by) so many different jars of chinese hot mustard that I've bought at regular grocery stores.  It just ends up tasting like plain old brown mustard.  Can anyone recommend a brand that is just like the mustard you get in the little packets from a chinese restaurant?  Not the gelatinous mustard that I've unfortunately received from some places, but the more "mustardy" textured mustard that gives your sinus a lil' wake up when you eat it.

~LL~

Quote from: scungili on May 23, 2012, 02:53:51 PM
I've tried (and been disappointed by) so many different jars of chinese hot mustard that I've bought at regular grocery stores.  It just ends up tasting like plain old brown mustard.  Can anyone recommend a brand that is just like the mustard you get in the little packets from a chinese restaurant?  Not the gelatinous mustard that I've unfortunately received from some places, but the more "mustardy" textured mustard that gives your sinus a lil' wake up when you eat it.

Make your own.  Buy a can of dry mustard -- Coleman's Mustard is widely available (sold where herbs and spices are sold -- any grocery store, Trader Joes, Whole Foods, etc.
Be prepared to have your sinus cavities cleared out -- for weeks...

1.Place 1/4 cup dry mustard powder (Colman's is good) in a bowl.
2.Gradually stir in 1/4 cup of cold water.
3.Stir in 1/8 teaspoon of salad oil.
4.Cover the mustard and let stand for at least one hour.
5.Use immediately.
6.To store: transfer the mustard to a small jar, cover, and place in the refrigerator.
Tips:
1.Chinese mustard is stronger than regular mustard. Use in small amounts.
2.This recipe makes about 1/3 cup of hot mustard.
3.Covered and stored in the refrigerator, the mustard will last for up to a month
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

eno

Not sure if LL addressed it, but along with the powder, Colman's also offers a fully prepared, finished, ready to eat hot mustard:

"None of us have to settle for the best this administration offers: a dull, adventureless journey from one entitlement to the next, a government-planned life, a country where everything is free but us." - Paul Ryan

justme

:)

http://www.amazon.com/50-Packages-Chinese-Mustard-Packets/dp/B007VQQ3U2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1337824878&sr=8-6

But seriously, there are quite a few brands on Amazon and you know you can find it in Chinatown. Or better yet, you should just ask when you go to a Chinese restaurant...I bet they would hook you up  ;)

redv10

Too me it almost seems like its horseradish that is mixed into the chinese hot stuff to give it that kick.

scungili

Thanks for the Coleman's recommendation ... I went the easy route & picked up a the prepared jar and whoooboy that stuff is good!

dyta93

no horseradish, just really concentrated mustard seed.  The recipe given is what some of the Chinese restaurants use when they make their own.  My first job was in one that used to make it for dishes for the tables.  Making it in the large batches that were needed was kind of a hazing used for the new employees.  Granted not as bad as grating fresh horseradish. 

There is an Asian food warehouse open to the public on Pulaski just south of rt 55 just before the Burger King.  You can pick up a ton of the different condiments and sauces used by many of the local restaurants. Very reasonable pricing as well.

eno

This thread reminds me of my attempt to make "Mostarda" (a sweet & sour Italian condiment which is served with boiled meats, Bollito Misto) at home.

The traditional "Mostarda" (which is not mustard, but rather a sweet and sour sugar-syrup with candied fruits in a jar) has a potent, wicked kick to it. After trying to make it with ground mustard seeds, I found that my home made version had a bit of a kick to it, but nothing close to the Italian, store bought version.

So, I researched old, traditional recipes and learned that the way "Mostarda" is prepared is by using a drop or two of essential oil of mustard in a quart jar of syrup. The problem is, unless you distill the essential oil of mustard at home, you cannot find it in the U.S. (I think it may even be illegal here; it is so potent that a mere sniff of the stuff can burn the mucous mebranes in one's nose and throat, and it can be used to make mustard gas). I looked high and low, and can only find essential oil of mustard in a pharmacy in Florence, Italy!

My point is, if you want the most potent, pungent, spicy mustard possible, you need to get essential oil of mustard seeds and use it with extreme caution.

This is what Mostarda looks like:

And here is a picture of a small vial of essential oil of mustard:

"None of us have to settle for the best this administration offers: a dull, adventureless journey from one entitlement to the next, a government-planned life, a country where everything is free but us." - Paul Ryan

rbain

Quote from: dyta93 on June 01, 2012, 01:49:08 PM
no horseradish, just really concentrated mustard seed.  The recipe given is what some of the Chinese restaurants use when they make their own.  My first job was in one that used to make it for dishes for the tables.  Making it in the large batches that were needed was kind of a hazing used for the new employees.  Granted not as bad as grating fresh horseradish. 

There is an Asian food warehouse open to the public on Pulaski just south of rt 55 just before the Burger King.  You can pick up a ton of the different condiments and sauces used by many of the local restaurants. Very reasonable pricing as well.
When we're you last at the Pulaski asian market? I used to go there but they'll
Closed a few years ago but they closed and I haven't driven past it since. I'd love to hear that they re-opened.
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."

dyta93

Was there last fall.  My husband works by there so we pick up the green tea for the office there when it is his turn.  Not sure if we are talking about the same place tho.  When you get off of 55 and head south on Pulaski, it is the first right turn (at the lights before Burger King) and then the first warehouse drive on your right.  It is more of a restaurant food supply place than a typical Asian grocery.  It has the big sign advertising seafood in Spanish.

If it is the same place, I've been going there for a couple years.