News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

Thoughts on computers?

Started by SimplyBerwyn, April 20, 2012, 02:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimplyBerwyn

Would like some input on computers.  Youngest child is graduating HS this year and we would like to get a laptop as a gift.  Any suggestions ?  Or maybe another option?
Hope will never be silent. --Harvey Milk

dukesdad

13" Mac Book Pro. $1199 great machine that will do anything you need. Well built and classy.

SimplyBerwyn

Quote from: dukesdad on April 20, 2012, 02:42:10 PM
13" Mac Book Pro. $1199 great machine that will do anything you need. Well built and classy.

Thanks. 

Does anybody know if the computer shop on Oak Park Ave carries it?  I would rather not give my $ to Best Buy or some other big box chain store.
Hope will never be silent. --Harvey Milk

dukesdad

Buy it from the Apple Store in OakBrook.

watcher

Quote from: SimplyBerwyn on April 20, 2012, 02:09:04 PM
Would like some input on computers.  Youngest child is graduating HS this year and we would like to get a laptop as a gift.  Any suggestions ?  Or maybe another option?

What does he/she have for a computer now? PC or Mac?  Is he/she college bound in the fall? Small or large school? Urban or rural? If you know where they are going, what computer resources/retailers/warranty repair will be local to campus? How will the laptop be used? Is the user "careful" with his/her things?

I'll never bad rap Best Buy when it comes to college students. You buy the machine that suits their needs and pay for the expanded coverage.  Unless the school is in middle of nowhere there'll be a geek squad nearby.  I'd recommend an external HD for backups or at minimum a 32g usb drive. I'd also suggest a B/W laser printer instead of cheap/disposable inkjet.

We ended up going Toshiba Satellite for my daughter and Sony Vaio for my son. For college graduation, daughter wanted a MacBook. Son is still happy with Sony, so he "downsized" from his monster 19" to a 10".

P.S. Both Sony machines are still humming along. The Toshiba looks like hell. (difference between care and use)

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

psychomom

If you are buying a Mac for college you can get $100 off using their education pricing:

http://store.apple.com/us-hed/findyourschool
"He who opens a school door closes a prison"

Victor Hugo

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: dukesdad on April 20, 2012, 02:42:10 PM

I second that.

You can get one online or at the Apple store in Oak Brook or Chicago (and their other locations).
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

biff.

2 sons in college ... one bought a toshiba as an incoming freshman ended up having to by him another laptop during his jr year in college ... now he's out and that one has crapped out too.  2nd child bought a mac -- he's graduating in May --still on the same computer ... should have bought 1st son a mac

chandasz

After years of having PCs- I bought a Mac 3 years ago and would never turn back.