News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Sewer Back Up

Started by bigolo, April 21, 2012, 03:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigolo

I was wondering if anyone has installed a sewer back up prevention system in their house. And if so, how has it worked? What kind of money should I expect to pay? And finally, any referrals of good companies to call. As you can see, I am done with this, and am willing to throw good money to prevent shit from entering my basement! Thanks in advance!

maclively

We got some quotes a couple of years ago - the summer of the two floods one month apart. I believe the numbers were right around $8-$10k - I don't remember the exact number. We ended up not doing it because we couldn't swing the cost.

tony la

sounds high to me.  Most I have heard as 4600 on the low side and 5200 on the high side
Tony LaMonica  Broker 1998 Hall Of Fame
Prudential RUBLOFF 708-795-5000
Director Chicago Association of Realtors
WWW.TONYLA.NET

J'sMom

I tried to send you a PM but it was blocked. We had our sewer back-up problem fixed back in 2009. Let me know if you are interested in knowing my contractor's name. We have had no problems since the installation of an overhead sewer system.

watcher

Where is the common sense leadership that communities need? Berwyn's sewer problems affect the whole city. If not you today, it will tomorrow. Back-ups are absolutely related to the shared demand placed on sewers which are a shared community resource. Installing one-way gate valves in all of the connections is the natural, needed solution.  Addressing it one home at a time with all of the burden on individual homeowners is not cost effective at all. 

Communities around St. Louis have gone to the voters to implement "lateral line insurance". Each property is assessed a flat fee to cover the cost of installing one-way valve on EVERY home.  They recognized that standardizing the installations would be the most effective fix and simplify maintaining the system going forward. Addressing a long-term, wide-spread, cascading problem any other way is a bad recipe.

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

bigolo

OakParkSpartan

The Historical Society used PermaSeal to dry out the basement at the new building.  They did a very nice job and were very professional.  I'd seriously look at them if I was considering this type of work.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

bigolo

Yes, I've heard a lot of good things about this company. Of all the systems that I have heard about, this one seems to be the best! Although it's very expensive, the peace of mind that it will bring is priceless. After this system goes in, I'm hoping I can enjoy a good thunderstorm again! Many thanks to everyone who replied, the check is written!

bigolo

Will also include this to the system and call it a day!

http://www.sumpro.com/

dukesdad

That seems pretty pricey for just a sump pump backup power supply. I bought a 12KW natural gas generator at Costco for less than $2500, it does almost my whole house.

bigolo

How much to install this type of generator Duke?

dukesdad

bigolo

I prefer to keep this an open thread and not PM. I want others who have this problem to have reference to a possible solution. In all honesty, I could care less if I lose power to my house during a severe storm. I just want the frickin' system to keep working! On the plus side, I seem to garner more of Mrs Bigolo's attention when there is no power for the T.V.! Lol... ;)

berwynson

Quote from: bigolo on April 24, 2012, 09:55:53 PM
........ On the plus side, I seem to garner more of Mrs Bigolo's attention when there is no power for the T.V.! Lol... ;)

Competing with the TEE-v, as they say it in the Ozark hillbilly fashion......

berwynson

bigolo

We don't stand a chance AGAINST the TEE-v brother! That "box"has super powers! lol

berwyn senator

I am aware teeth are rare in the Ozark hills,aren't TEE-V's also?

dukesdad

QuoteIn all honesty, I could care less if I lose power to my house during a severe storm.

It's not uncommon for the power to be off for 3 or 4 days after a severe storm. I think those folks across the park were off almost a week. Sure would be nice to have A/C or heat during that period.

berwynson

Quote from: berwyn senator on April 25, 2012, 09:32:25 AM
I am aware teeth are rare in the Ozark hills,aren't TEE-V's also?

Yeah, but only 'cause there's no reception; they don't work. If they did, the "system" would be forced to provide them to locals at taxpayers' expense, like in Arizona, where the poor, disparaged minority population was being arrested and fined for NO CAR INSURANCE, their lawyers succeeded in getting car coverage provided to them AT TAXPAYERS' EXPENSE, since they had to be able to drive legally to get to work to feed their families.

Not kidding you: mandatory car liability is a MUST, in Arizona; don't matter who pays for it!

Let's see now: They get subsidized rent paid, car insurance, owe no income tax if they can produce enough kids, medical care, food......what else have I missed?    berwynson

berwyn senator

Are you sure your not speaking of Crook County Illinois? I have a mentally challenged cousin whom I help out and have been doing so for 10yrs.Yes he gets the links card,free medical,was on SSI but was removed even though his physical health has become much worse,no explanation given.Long story,I'll get to the point.I have been to several Social Security offices,Hell I'm the only senior in these places,the majority are single parents with plenty of kids,both male and female,all collecting the handouts.Then they leave and get into newer huge SUV's,to go back to their section 8 housing crack a cold one and enjoy the good old USA.

buzz

Quote from: berwynson on April 25, 2012, 05:46:45 PM
where the poor, disparaged minority population was being arrested and fined
They get subsidized rent paid, car insurance, owe no income tax if they can produce enough kids, medical care, food......what else have I missed?
Quote from: berwyn senator on April 26, 2012, 09:40:23 PM
the majority are single parents with plenty of kids,both male and female,all collecting the handouts.Then they leave and get into newer huge SUV's,to go back to their section 8 housing crack a cold one and enjoy the good old USA.
speaking of sewage.......
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?