News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Seeds, heat mats

Started by buzz, May 06, 2012, 12:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzz

I considered buying them for years but they were pricey, $34.95 for a 10" x 20".
Well Menard's had them @ $19.99 and then reduced them to $12.99.  Same exact one as the Burpee web-site.  I bought 2.  I just set them up for tubers (Caladium and Dahlia) because those take sooooo long to start.
Does anyone else use them ?  Any secrets, suggestions for future use ?
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

GarlicQueen

Yes, I use them for almost all the seeds I start.  The ones I have are Hydrofarm brand and I pretty much stumbled upon them the same way you did ("oh look, they're on sale!).  I really like these although if they came with a "seedling starter" plastic tray, just throw that away. It will crack and be useless in a season.  What I end up doing is going to garage sales and buying old metal baking dishes.  The heat transfers much more efficiently when kept under these pans (and no holes or cracks from too much use!).  I then use a plastic dome with a few holes poked in it to conserve moisture.   ;D

buzz

Thank you.  The tubers are in cheap plastic trays, in 5" pots that can go right into the soil, with a high dome over them, under a plant light.
Now, do you keep that mat on all day ? 

GarlicQueen

Yes, pretty much out of laziness although it does keep the humidity constant. I have never worked with tubers, but this has worked with all vegetables I have grown (tomato, eggplant, onion, pumpkins, etc.). Once they have started, I would remove the dome altogether but keep the mat on, especially if you house is on the cool side like mine.

buzz