News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Asbestos

Started by Kraggy86, June 14, 2012, 08:53:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kraggy86

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum and going to start remodeling a bungalow in Berwyn. I was wondering if anyone has had asbestos inspections and if so if they could reccommend anyone for the job and give a price estimate? Did you find asbestos, was your bungalow fine? What about Radon? The bungalow is a 1927, that has had very little updates.

Thank you!!

Robert Pauly

Don't know about asbestos or radon, but the potential for lead poisoning is a big issue in homes built before 1978.

dukesdad

Asbestos is possibly present in floor tile and pipe covering insulation (if your boiler pipes are insulated). Unless you plan to disturb these things, asbestos is not a problem. It is best left alone or covered. Did you have a home inspection before you bought the house? If so, asbestos should have been identified or at least the potential of asbestos should have been identified. I don't know if radon is prevalent in this area.

Bonster

IF you want to have an outside company perform asbestos abatement be prepared to spend some good coin.  If you can do it yourself you'll save tons of $$.   It's perfectly legal and you can find numerous guidelines to aid. 

Depending on the scope it may not be a big issue.  I had asbestos covered ducts, removal of which consisted of only pulling the entire ducts off, since they were not being reused.  <cough>
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

OakParkSpartan

For the new Berwyn Historical Society building, we had Colfax Corp do asbestos remediation.  They removed approximately 700 sq ft of floor tile, plus some remnants around heating ducts in the basement, as well as several garbage bags full of stuff from a crawlspace.  Cost was $5k.  That also included the air inspection afterwards.  We were very pleased with their work.

Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

chandasz

Joe (Pino) is a former student of mine. Great guy

Tell him Chanda sent you if you call

http://www.thishomeinspector.com/

Kraggy86

Thanks so much for your reccomendations and suggestions, I really appreciate all of them. We actually aren't purchasing the home, but moving into my fiance's grandmothers home because she has a home in the area. This way we can live rent free minus utilities and put any rental money into the property to help fix it up, so it will be a win-win for everyone. Because of this, we've not had an inspection.

I've called a couple places and been quoted inspections anywhere from $300-$800.

If nothing needs to be abated we will leave it alone. Mostly I just have this huge fear of moving in and not knowing about already upset asbestos, so for peace of mine we're going to have it checked out.

OakParkSpartan

Kraggy,

What do the inspections consist of?  I think we paid about $100 to have the tile/adhesive tested.

Your numbers sound high.

Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bonster

Quote from: Kraggy86 on June 14, 2012, 11:38:41 AM
We actually aren't purchasing the home, but moving into my fiance's grandmothers home because she has a home in the area.

Did your fiance's grandmother die of mesothelioma?
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Bonster on June 14, 2012, 02:45:05 PM
We actually aren't purchasing the home, but moving into my fiance's grandmothers home because she has a home in the area.

Only you...LOL.

seebee

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on June 14, 2012, 03:22:36 PM
Quote from: Bonster on June 14, 2012, 02:45:05 PM

Only you...LOL.

Nice one.

berwynson

I knew I should've called those lawyers! 

berwynson

berwyn senator

Years ago asbestos was all over in homes the old coal or oil burning furnaces were wrapped with the stuff,so were many of pipes from old boilers.If you worked in a factory there was so much poison around you I often wonder why more of the employees didn't pass at early ages.The company's didn't give a shit all they cared about was production,I think about all the poison that was dumped down the sewer drains,and probably still is to this day.Lake Michigan is full of the poison  PCB'S.Waukegan Harbor,which was supposed to have been cleaned up years ago by Out Board Marine Corp.,they just skimmed the surface and left.Now the tax payers are paying for the major clean up,and we still drink the water!! Making things worse the sanitary district supposedly is cleaning waste water without a very important step of cleansing and returning it back into our system.So just drink whiskey and be happy.

Mrs.Pete

Get a radon kit from the hardware or home depot type store and do that part of it yourself.