News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

Black water bugs....or Oriental roaches

Started by tony la, June 23, 2012, 12:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tony la

Has anyone had problem with these bugs coming from their drains.  I have a property that has a issue with this.  Orkin tells me it is big problem, especially in Berwyn and Cicero.
Tony LaMonica  Broker 1998 Hall Of Fame
Prudential RUBLOFF 708-795-5000
Director Chicago Association of Realtors
WWW.TONYLA.NET

Bonster

We had them out on the country. Harmless, and they don't multiply like giraffes.  I mean roaches (damn autocorrect).  Fun to kill, too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2.  s, s, & s time.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

berwynguy

Quote from: Bonster on June 23, 2012, 01:34:41 PM
We had them out on the country. Harmless, and they don't multiply like giraffes.  I mean roaches (damn autocorrect).  Fun to kill, too.

Shit, shave, & shower time?  ;D
Unfortunately, this ain't your grandmother's Berwyn anymore.

Mrs.Pete

We had them in a rental property when we bought it. It took the exterminator several visits to get rid of them. I gave the tenants roach traps with orders to call me if they caught any roaches. It made them careful with garbage and cleaning because they didn't want to be the only one who called me.

Rizzo

Terri

Place wide masking tape around the drains, sticky side up.  If you don't have children or pets, sprinkle boric acid on the floor near the walls, especially corners.  Bleach in the drain every so often helps too. 

This will work. 

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: Bonster on June 23, 2012, 01:34:41 PM

I had them growing up on the NW side of Chicago and they are gross.  Big, ugly and not fun to kill, unless perhaps by pesticide.  They literally explode under your feet when you step on them.  Bugs in the house (with the exception of a normal population of spiders) are the worst ever.  I'll take the spiders over roaches, water bugs, centipedes and just about everything else.  We're not inundated with them but they  do exist, mainly in the basement.  At one point, my husband wanted to spray the basement but I wouldn't let him.  First of all, I'm not fond of pesticides and secondly, as I told him, spiders keep other bugs at a minimum by eating them.  My other rationale was that he would just drive them up to the first and second floors.  So far, I'm right.  I occasionally see one in the basement but rarely above that level.

berwynson

Quote from: Rizzo on June 23, 2012, 05:33:26 PM
A lack of installed drain traps?

If we're talking about the giant roaches people in Florida call "Palmetto Beetles",  (they find it impossible to admit these things are actually cockroaches), they are indeed gross, rarely less than an inch long, some almost two inches; some actually can fly, mores the pity!

I heard several accounts of, and finally saw with my own eyes, several of these babies emerging from a sink drain containing a water-filled trap: they actually CAN swim through and thus around, ordinary drain traps!

berwynson

buzz

Quote from: berwynson on June 24, 2012, 08:05:04 PM
If we're talking about the giant roaches people in Florida call "Palmetto Beetles",  (they find it impossible to admit these things are actually cockroaches), they are indeed gross, rarely less than an inch long, some almost two inches; some actually can fly, mores the pity!
If ya' drink enough home-made hooch !
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

Homebody

We had them in the house when we first moved in. I went to ACE and chatted up the store manager. He gave me a can of spray stuff and told me it would take care of them. Sorry, too many years ago to remember the product name. After reading the label warnings, I was sure that I would be shaving a months off my life using the stuff. However, the bugs were too gross to live with. I took the escutcheons off around the sink drains and sprayed into the walls. I did this any where near water lines I could get the nozzle into. Haven't seen one of those "water bugs" for 20 years. However, I do glow in the dark.

berwynson

Quote from: buzz on June 24, 2012, 11:04:09 PM
Quote from: berwynson on June 24, 2012, 08:05:04 PM
If ya' drink enough home-made hooch !

Below excerpted from Wikipedia, "American Cockroach":

length to 43 mm (1.7 in)
Habitat Heated buildings, optimum 32 °C (90 °F)
Life Span 1 to 2 years
Able to fly?  Yes

berwynson

berwyn senator

These creatures are not just dominant in our area,I have seen them in many homes with basements in the Chicago area.

Tuttles

If those things start coming out of my drains -basement or otherwise, I will have to sell the house.  I haven't had to deal with roaches since an apartment in the city back in the mid 90's.  I can deal with the centipedes -even when they come upstairs -but not roaches!

dualref

We had those things coming up the basement drain on occasion. Not really a problem as we'd only see on or two a year.

Years ago I was helping a friend remove some wallpaper from a bungalow in Parkholme he bought. When we started taking the wallpaper down all kinds of silverfish came out of the wall between the wallpaper and plaster. He called in an exterminator who eradicated them.