News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

Austin Blvd in Cicero

Started by Guy_on_Clinton, July 08, 2012, 08:15:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guy_on_Clinton

the other day i was driving on the 290 and got off on austin... went south to cermak and on my way i noticed blocks of beautiful huge bungalows and foursquares... anyone know the history behind this stretch of road... must have been some big wigs or something....   either way.. its worth a look.
SPINDLEVIEW RULES!!!!!!!!

berwynguy

Really?  You've never seen this until now?  How long have you lived in the Berwyn area?

Yes, there were several "big wigs" that lived on Austin Blvd. between Roosevelt and Cermak Rds.  They include notable people like Dr. Frank Jirka, who was Anton Cermak's son in law, many local business owners, politicians, and several gangsters such as Al Capone, Willie Heeney, Tony Lombardo, the English brothers, etc.  Maybe if people are interested I will identify each property later and a bit more history of the street.
Unfortunately, this ain't your grandmother's Berwyn anymore.

Noble Falcon

I have always liked that stretch. I think Al Carr lived on the 1800 blocks of Austin once upon a time.

berwynguy

I believe he did. 

There are a ton of houses on or near that stretch of Austin Blvd. that have interesting histories.  For example, this house across the alley at 1836 S. 60th Ct. (the home was originally built by a judge) was the home of Chicago Outfit member Jimmy "The Turk" Torello until he died in the 1970s.  Believe it or not, his widow STILL lives there today!

Unfortunately, this ain't your grandmother's Berwyn anymore.

catspajamas

Quote from: berwynguy on July 08, 2012, 10:15:39 AM
Really?  You've never seen this until now?  How long have you lived in the Berwyn area?

Yes, there were several "big wigs" that lived on Austin Blvd. between Roosevelt and Cermak Rds.  They include notable people like Dr. Frank Jirka, who was Anton Cermak's son in law, many local business owners, politicians, and several gangsters such as Al Capone, Willie Heeney, Tony Lombardo, the English brothers, etc. a bit more history of the street.Maybe if people are interested I will identify each property later and
I used to drive that way to work and loved those big homes. I would like to hear about specific properties.

The Jackal

Quote from: berwynguy on July 09, 2012, 10:51:29 PM
I believe he did. 

There are a ton of houses on or near that stretch of Austin Blvd. that have interesting histories.  For example, this house across the alley at 1836 S. 60th Ct. (the home was originally built by a judge) was the home of Chicago Outfit member Jimmy "The Turk" Torello until he died in the 1970s.  Believe it or not, his widow STILL lives there today!

Met ( and I use the term loosely) the man (Turk Torello) several times, along with Fifi Buccieri. Larger than life figure.

SimplyBerwyn

Quote from: The Jackal on September 09, 2012, 12:38:07 AM
Quote from: berwynguy on July 09, 2012, 10:51:29 PM
I believe he did. 

Met ( and I use the term loosely) the man (Turk Torello) several times, along with Fifi Buccieri. Larger than life figure.

If you don't mind me asking, how old were you when you met both these men? 
Hope will never be silent. --Harvey Milk

The Jackal

First or second grade...can't remember which. MAYBE third.

PamF

My husband grew up on the 1600 block of Austin Boulevard in one of those big a** bungalows.  They are very very roomy inside!