News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

2012 Drought

Started by buzz, July 11, 2012, 08:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzz

This sucks, my birches are losing leaves !
I've been watering all along but today I had a soaker hose going for 3 hrs. around the drip line.  Hope it helps.
My lawn is brown and I don't care.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

Bonster

Bugs, similar to Ash borers?

Check out that tree and shrub (liquid) from Bayer; it does a great job.  The sooner you treat, the better. 
It might not be lost.  If it helps stem the tide, treat again early in the season next year.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

buzz

No bugs thankfully.  This is a combo of drought, heat, and wind.  The wind on those 100 degree days just seemed to desicate the tree leaves.
I've watered all along, 1 in. or more per week, using the tuna can method of course.  And most of my plantings are kinda' drought resistant, it's just the thirsty birch.

Mrs.Pete

Buzz, your birches (river birches?) need iron. An old granny recipe is to put an old iron bench or any rusty old thing next to or buried with the tree. They are having a hard time absorbing the iron they need to grow. The leaves will come back later, and they are probably not dying. Give them a long soft soaking with the hose once a week.

buzz

I used the soaker hose yesterday.  Early today I set up the oscillating sprinkler thing.  PPPFFFFTTT !
No water pressure.  The thing barely moved.
So tomorrow morning, will everyone please refrain from flushing or showering so I can save my tree !   

Bonster

It must only be affecting one part of town - our pressure has been fine all day.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

PamF

I have an inground root feeder for my trees.  You put it in the ground (at drip line) and keep it running for a while, then move it.  Has a capsule where you can add food for the tree as well.  Comes in handy in these types of summers!

I noticed the soil around my house foundation on the south side is pulling away.  Never have I seen that happen!

Mrs.Pete

It's not too late to mulch around your trees and shrubs. Don't let the mulch touch the trunk, and don't use that red stuff that leeches the nutrients out of the soil. You won't need to water as much.

~LL~

Quote from: buzz on July 12, 2012, 05:46:45 PM
I used the soaker hose yesterday.  Early today I set up the oscillating sprinkler thing.  PPPFFFFTTT !
No water pressure.  The thing barely moved.
So tomorrow morning, will everyone please refrain from flushing or showering so I can save my tree !

Ah - er -- did you check for a kink in your hose?  Happend to me - threw a fit - felt foolish when I discovered kink.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

buzz

Quote from: PamF on July 13, 2012, 10:35:35 AM
I have an inground root feeder for my trees.
I forgot, I have one !  Dragged it out and used it, along with watering.  Tree seems to have stopped dropping leaves.
Thanks to all for the suggestions.