News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Chicago White Sox

Started by SimplyBerwyn, July 12, 2012, 11:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimplyBerwyn

How about them first place Chicago White Sox?

What is your prediction for the remainder of the season?

What needs to be done to assure a post-season appearance?
Hope will never be silent. --Harvey Milk

Ted

They need a dependable closer.  And, I worry that the "ducklings" in the bullpen won't hold up for the entire season.

Bonster

Quote from: SimplyBerwyn on July 12, 2012, 11:29:31 AM
What needs to be done to assure a post-season appearance?

Pray.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

seebee

They need to hope Detroit implodes. Seriously, Detroit has the potential to spin off a 20 game winning streak at ANY moment.
I'd also be happy if they shored up a closer before the deadline, plenty of names being mentioned as trade candidates. The Youkilis signing makes me think Kenny took his brain pills this year. I was PRAYING for Youk when that clown Middlebrooks was flashing his bat. BEAUTIFUL steal right there. A not over the hill legit 295 hitter who struggled at the start of the season then went on the dl, and the rival team wants to give him to you so they can start some 23 year old?? DONE!!!!!! The law of averages SCREAMS that Youkilis should tear the cover off the ball- IT'S AN AVERAGE!!!! A healthy Danks would put me more at ease about those kitties in Detroit as well. Rumor is that he is not doing so good tho. I'd trade Sale away for a stud proven SP in a heartbeat as well. Sale is gonna be another Kerry Wood. They've already predicted that his arm slot will be his early demise just like they did with Wood. Sell high, buy low. Dempster would look nice in the black pinstripes. I bet Kenny could get TWO good SP's for Sale right about now. These GM's are flippin retards. They'd probably gobble Sale up for his youth and his velocity / k potential. I think Kenny knows he can make a serious push this year. I'm liking my Good Guys. Thought they'd stink this year.

1. Real Closer
2. Healthy Danks
3. Detroit Implosion.

SimplyBerwyn

Quote from: Ted on July 12, 2012, 12:50:50 PM

They need a dependable closer.  And, I worry that the "ducklings" in the bullpen won't hold up for the entire season.

I agree with you on this one.  Who do you think they should try and get to shore up the pen?

seebee

I'd like either guy in Houston if the price is right. Houston should be sellers of Brandon Lyon, and Brett Myers.
I'd be watching Philly to be starter sellers.
Grant Balfour in Oak and Houston Street in SD would be on my radar for relievers as well.
Hopefully this will be a tight race - Detroit scares the hell out of me with no healthy Danksie. They have too much talent to be behind, and there's a whole lotta season left.

buzz

Quote from: Ted on July 12, 2012, 12:50:50 PM
They need a dependable closer.
Yes they do, but please not Valverde !  The man is agony to watch.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

Ted

ARRGGHHH!!!!!!  Yesterday was painful was watch as was the other day when the bullpen blew the lead.

The Sox need better relief pitching.  The kiddie corp isn't going to cut it.

seebee

Crain coming back should be a boost to the pen. Still would like a lights out fireman tho. Lyon just got dealt to the Jays. I  wonder if Kenny is sniffing around Houston Street, which, imo, means he is SERIOUS.

seebee

Ok, Myers is here. I'm not sure what the plan is with him since Kenny said he will not be the closer. He must really like this Reed kid, maybe. Huston Street is still out there, and has proven, mildly awesome numbers, and is on team going absolutely nowhere.

seebee

Ventura just KILLED me last night. Was nobody in the pen warming up BEFORE that leadoff walk to Dirks??? Why was peavy still pitching when he was CLEARLY close to running at the ump and beating him senseless?? How in BALLS did aj not score when he was sitting on 3rd with one out?

mustang54

If the Sox want to win anything the players and especially the announcer Homer Simpson need to quit whining about umpires and play ball. The umps have been brutal all year in almost any game you watch no matter which teams are playing. Shut up and play the damn game.
  Another interesting item about the Sox is the media acting stupid on why the Sox are not drawing. It's easy, most people don't want to drive tthrough what they believe to be the killing fields of Chicagos south side. ADMIT IT! No one is taking the  train there and they are afraid of the areas you have to drive through to get there. The other night on channel 7 Giangreco said the next 3 home games tickets will be half price lets see if that works. It won't its all about the fear of going there. Very sad but true and its a shame cuz they are a good team to watch if you keep the sound off or they are on another network.

Ted

6 times in the last 10 years the Sox have been in 1st place in September.  4 of those 6 times, they choked in September, getting swept in September by the teams chasing them. 2 times they with stood the challenge and won the division.

That's what I am wondering - is this going to be like 2003, 2006, 2010 and 2011?

Or will it be like 2005 and 2008?

I don't blame Ventura.  The Sox players the last 10 years always seem to choke when September comes around (except in 2008).  In 2005, the Sox had a big enough lead to with stand the run by Cleveland.  I often wonder what would have happened in 2005 if Grady Sizemore had not dropped that fly ball in Kansas City.

And, the hitters seem to be back to their old ways of always trying to drive the ball on every pitch.  They should look at what Cabrerra does when men are on base.

SimplyBerwyn

Maybe 1969 Cubs jinx has infiltrated the White Sox franchise.

Ted

Argh.... I'm getting ulcers.

Bonster

They've still got a two game lead.  Winning that first game was huge, such that there's no way Detoilet can take sole possession of first place in this series.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

The Jackal

Detroit couldn't win this division if it was handed to them on a silver platter.

Good thing for both that they're not in any other division and looking at 3rd or 4th place squarely in the eye.

seebee

That Youkilis AB last night in the 7th or 8th was brutal. The one when he was supposed to bunt. Just brutal. I still won't count those Detroit kitties out at ALL. If Beckham keeps hitting, Dunn gets over his sprained vajayjay or whatever, and a very healthy dose of luck, I like the good guys to possibly surprise some ppl. I don't care if AJ gets up to bat with a needle still stickin out of his ass- GET IT DONE.

moose

The funny thing is the Sox are in 1st place and yet they are selling tickets to some of the remaining home games at 1/2 price just to try and fill the seats.
Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them. - Dr Seuss

The Jackal

Quote from: seebee on September 12, 2012, 03:56:44 PM
That Youkilis AB last night in the 7th or 8th was brutal. The one when he was supposed to bunt. Just brutal. I still won't count those Detroit kitties out at ALL. If Beckham keeps hitting, Dunn gets over his sprained vajayjay or whatever, and a very healthy dose of luck, I like the good guys to possibly surprise some ppl. I don't care if AJ gets up to bat with a needle still stickin out of his ass- GET IT DONE.

Well, AJ is stickin' something somewhere cause he currently has more homers than Konerko....and has alm$ost DOUBLED his previous season high total in HRs. After over a dozen years in the majors, I aint buyin it. Can anyone say Brady Anderson?