News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

JoePa out at PSU!!!

Started by The Jackal, November 09, 2011, 10:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Jackal

What a way to go after so many decades in Happy Valley.

Just a reminder as to collegiate athletics proper place in the world.

OakParkSpartan

He should have been let go earlier in the week, along with the AD and that VP.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Ted

One thing I wondered - Did Paterno know of some of these incidents when Sandusky resigned in 1999?

buzz

And I wonder if  that pederast would have made it out of the showers alive if a woman had discovered him raping that child.  He'd have been stopped, that's for damn sure.

I'm disgusted by McQeary's stupidity.  What's the excuse ?  Team loyalty ?  Not wanting to be a snitch ?  Afraid of hurting his career ?  Protect the child and call the police dammit.

This was criminal, and so was the administrations negligence and cover-up.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Ted on November 10, 2011, 12:42:59 PM

One thing I wondered - Did Paterno know of some of these incidents when Sandusky resigned in 1999?

Most likely.

Rumors were around for years.

Plus, Sandusky retired at 55...never got a sniff as a HC anywhere else.  People knew.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bonster

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on November 11, 2011, 08:10:41 AM
Quote from: Ted on November 10, 2011, 12:42:59 PM

Most likely.

Rumors were around for years.

Plus, Sandusky retired at 55...never got a sniff as a HC anywhere else.  People knew.

I would think he knew.

The Grand Jury report talks about a 1998 incident which involved boys in the football showers behaving in a "sexually inappropriate manner"  that was swept under the rug...

http://cbschicago.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/sandusky-grand-jury-presentment.pdf
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Ted

Penn State has taken down Joe Paterno's statue:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/chi-paterno-statue-20120722,0,7120603.story 

Associated Press
6:47 a.m. CDT,
July 22, 2012

Penn State University will remove the famed statue of Joe Paterno outside its football stadium, eliminating a key piece of the iconography surrounding the once-sainted football coach accused of burying child sex abuse allegations against a retired assistant....

Penn State President Rod Erickson said he decided to have the statue removed and put into storage because it "has become a source of division and an obstacle to healing."

"I believe that, were it to remain, the statue will be a recurring wound to the multitude of individuals across the nation and beyond who have been the victims of child abuse," Erickson said in a statement released at 7 a.m. Sunday.

He said Paterno's name will remain on the campus library because it "symbolizes the substantial and lasting contributions to the academic life and educational excellence that the Paterno family has made to Penn State University."

buzz

Quote from: Ted on July 22, 2012, 07:32:02 AM
He said Paterno's name will remain on the campus library ...
remove his name

mustang54

The worthless NCAA should impose the death penalty on that school. If any school EVER deserved it is Penn State. NCAA president said its the worst thing to ever happen in college sports. Well then do something about it jerkoff!. I am also sick of hearing the lies and bullshit coming out of the mouths of the Paterno family. Paterno was a piece of shit.

berwynguy

Quote from: mustang54 on July 22, 2012, 09:49:34 AM
  The worthless NCAA should impose the death penalty on that school. If any school EVER deserved it is Penn State. NCAA president said its the worst thing to ever happen in college sports. Well then do something about it jerkoff!. I am also sick of hearing the lies and bullshit coming out of the mouths of the Paterno family. Paterno was a piece of shit.

+100

I'm so sick of hearing people refer to this guy as if he was some sort of saint or god. 
Unfortunately, this ain't your grandmother's Berwyn anymore.

buzz

The worthless NCAA should impose the death penalty on that school.
I agree but the problem with that is the collateral damage.  There's a whole group of businesses and cottage industries  (built around the athletic program ) that would suffer financially.  Everyone/everything from motels, restaurant owners, waitresses, bartenders, sports memorabelia, you name it.  Mostly it would also punish students and I don't think that's fair.

mustang54

Quote from: buzz on July 22, 2012, 01:32:53 PM
  The worthless NCAA should impose the death penalty on that school.
I agree but the problem with that is the collateral damage.  There's a whole group of businesses and cottage industries  (built around the athletic program ) that would suffer financially.  Everyone/everything from motels, restaurant owners, waitresses, bartenders, sports memorabelia, you name it.  Mostly it would also punish students and I don't think that's fair.
Well as usual its all about the money. 60 million dollar fine. So who takes that hit, the tax payers its a state school isn't it. They are gonna take the money and fund some new organization that will be filled with high paying jobs for their cronies. These NCAA clowns should go into politics they seem to know how to play the same game politicians do. They should have given that program the death penalty. If any program deserved it they do.

Ted

The Paterno family is in denial:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-07-23/news/sns-rt-us-usa-pennstate-paternobre86m13d-20120723_1_freeh-report-ncaa-sanctions-joe-paterno

Family says NCAA sanctions on Penn State "defame" Paterno's legacy

July 23, 2012
Reuters

The family of Joe Paterno on Monday said the sweeping penalties handed down against Penn State University by the National Collegiate Athletic Association "defame the legacy and contributions" of the late Penn State football coach.

The family decried the NCAA's decision to base their penalties, which included voiding 14 seasons of victories for the football team, on the substance of a recent report by former FBI director Louis Freeh.

"The release of the Freeh report has triggered an avalanche of vitriol, condemnation and posthumous punishment on Joe Paterno," the statement said. "The NCAA has now become the latest party to accept the report as the final word on the Sandusky scandal."

The vacating of the wins by the NCAA means that Paterno is no longer the most victorious coach in the history of major U.S. college football.

Earlier Monday, the governing body of U.S. college sports took sweeping, unprecedented action against Penn State's revered football program in response to a child sex abuse scandal, fining the school $60 million, limiting football scholarships and excluding the team from post-season play.