News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

US Donuts Closed?

Started by soxrwrldchamps05, September 23, 2012, 12:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soxrwrldchamps05

I went to Us Donuts this morning to get some donuts because we go here every Sunday morning and it appears they are closed. There was a sign on the door that said Property of Cook County Sheriff. I guess they forgot to pay the rent. Sucks that they are closed now because they had better prices on a dozen of Donuts than Dunkin Donuts did.

renovatorbear

Not surprised. The last time I stopped in there, about 2 months ago, the donuts I brought home were days old. And the woman that boxed them for me was rude as hell. Not a good way to keep customers coming back.

soxrwrldchamps05

Hmm everytime we go. We always get fresh donuts and the guy that is working behind the counter was very nice.

renovatorbear

Always got good service from the guy behind the counter too. Often, he'd grab the donuts for us from the back and they'd be super fresh. Last time I was there the guys were in a huddle over something and the mom, or whomever she was, was handling the counter. She was rude as hell and we threw more than half the donuts away because they were stale.

justme

Quote from: soxrwrldchamps05 on September 23, 2012, 05:41:24 PM
Hmm everytime we go. We always get fresh donuts and the guy that is working behind the counter was very nice.

Same here! Man, what a bummer if they are closed for good.

Well, Meijer has good donuts so I guess they are a good back up. I think they are $5.99 a dozen.

The Jackal

Looks like the Sheriff may have caught them off guard. The soda cooler at the front entrance and the cookie container on the counter are still stocked with product, although there are NO donut trays out whatsoever.

rbain

I liked their donuts but it just seemed so tragically lacking in ambition. That place seemed to just barely exist- the donuts were a little better than DD, but it was just a tiny place with absolutely no personality, no character whatsoever. It was lacking in all the things that would normally make a local, independent store preferable to a national chain. They might've stayed in business if there were no competition, but you can't expect to survive like that anymore.

I'm amazed at the number of people (particularly in Berwyn) who are willing to work and risk a lot of money on a business without ever asking themselves why customers should choose their business over all the alternatives! The ONLY thing recommending US Donuts was that their donuts were slightly better than DD, but they didn't offer anything different and the place looked totally uninviting.

Is this something the BDC should be helping with?
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."

Mrs.Pete

If the Cook County Sheriff owns it, maybe they didn't pay the sales tax owned.

Good Time Charlie

Or maybe they grabbed a batch of those stale donuts and didn't like what they tasted.

Bonster

Quote from: Charlie Slater on September 24, 2012, 07:17:36 PM
Quote from: Mrs.Pete on September 24, 2012, 11:41:21 AM
If the Cook County Sheriff owns it, maybe they didn't pay the sales tax owned.
Or maybe they grabbed a batch of those stale donuts and didn't like what they tasted.

;D ;D ;D
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

seebee

Quote from: rbain on September 24, 2012, 09:59:49 AM
I liked their donuts but it just seemed so tragically lacking in ambition. That place seemed to just barely exist- the donuts were a little better than DD, but it was just a tiny place with absolutely no personality, no character whatsoever. It was lacking in all the things that would normally make a local, independent store preferable to a national chain. They might've stayed in business if there were no competition, but you can't expect to survive like that anymore.

I'm amazed at the number of people (particularly in Berwyn) who are willing to work and risk a lot of money on a business without ever asking themselves why customers should choose their business over all the alternatives! The ONLY thing recommending US Donuts was that their donuts were slightly better than DD, but they didn't offer anything different and the place looked totally uninviting.

Is this something the BDC should be helping with?

They might have also done what they wanted to do, made their money, and are now moving on.

renovatorbear

I just drove past and saw the lights on, including the "Open" sign...  Called, and was told they are open for business.  ;)

soxrwrldchamps05

@renovatorbear, I'm definitely going to have to go check that out today then. Thank you for the heads up!

Tuttles

Looked open when I drove past this morning.

chandasz

Well-- hmmmm. Wonder what that was about then?

soxrwrldchamps05

Yup it's for sure open. I wonder why they closed for a week and had that sign up.

~LL~

Maybe they had a few code violations to correct - and such was done.  Or, maybe a vacay?  Glad they are up and running again.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

renovatorbear

I don't think it was a vacay, as there was a big ugly official looking sign of some sort on the front door.  I hope things work out for them.

renovatorbear

...And now it's gone for real.

Good Time Charlie

Dead as a doornail. Hopefully a high end coffee shop that everyone wants but no one will go to will go in.