TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

The Great Bridgeport Collapse of 2012

Started by The Jackal, October 02, 2012, 08:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Jackal

15 games over .500 and +3 on Spetember 19

7 games over .500 and -3 on Spetmeber 31, just TWELVE days later

A collapse of EPIC PROPORTION and HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE!

WELL DONE!

Bonster

Great Fan Collapse:

1st place on September 24th and only 20,000 fans.   

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

pkd50

It's all true.   Oh by the way, congrats on the north side sterling season.  Wonder boy delivered.....100 losses. 

The Jackal

Its not a fan collapse....simply a 100 percent accurate redflection of the size of their fan base. There are only SOOOOO many people in Bridgeport.

The Jackal

Quote from: pkd50 on October 02, 2012, 08:53:00 AM
It's all true.   Oh by the way, congrats on the north side sterling season.  Wonder boy delivered.....100 losses.

Pat,

That was the WHOLE IDEA...to tear it completely apart and hit rock bottom. Now I suppose we could have resigned Ramirez and Pena, kept , Marsahall, Dempster and Maholm....and maybe added another over the hill vet (like Youkilis?), but the end result would have been the same......NO PLAYOFFS. The same as it is for Bridgeport who went ALL IN!!!! 60 wins and 85 wins are the exact same thing if you don't make the playoffs. The difference is one franchise is pointing upwards and the other is going to start its slow and agonizing descent.

Oh, and btw, one more fact to ponder. In the AL East AND West, BOTH Detroit and Bridgeport would be in FOURTH PLACE! In other words, the ONLY reason Bridgeportites were deluded into believing they were a playoff club was because they play in the absolutely worst division in baseball. Pathetic, really.

pkd50

Again all true and congrats on hitting rock bottom

watcher

Baseball's a funny game.  Baseball fans are a strange breed. Cub fans are a breed unto themselves.

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

The Jackal

Maybe so...but in 40+ years of following the beloved Cubbies, I've never seen a Cub fan take a shower in center field, run onto the field and pummel a first base coach from behind, cause a riot which forces the cancellation of a game, or pay to see a midget and/or men in shorts play......among other things!

moose

Quote from: The Jackal on October 02, 2012, 10:23:36 AM
Maybe so...but in 40+ years of following the beloved Cubbies, I've never seen a Cub fan take a shower in center field, run onto the field and pummel a first base coach from behind, cause a riot which forces the cancellation of a game, or pay to see a midget and/or men in shorts play......among other things!

+1
Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them. - Dr Seuss

Robert Pauly

Like witnessing a championship in the past century.

Bonster

Quote from: watcher on October 02, 2012, 10:06:08 AM
Cub fans are a breed unto themselves.

Not really, watcher.  It's normal to have teeth.

Bonster

Quote from: Robert Pauly on October 02, 2012, 10:42:01 AM

whatchu talkin' 'bout Willis?   I've seen lots of championships in the past century.

The Jackal

Quote from: Robert Pauly on October 02, 2012, 10:42:01 AM

So what was your excuse for being a Bridgeport fan pre 2005?

Robert Pauly

I would not have a need for that excuse.  My AL team is working on their 28th of those pesky, little buggers.

The Jackal

Oh yes, I forgot...bandwagon jumper extraordinairre!!!

Robert Pauly

My Bronx allegiance is older than some of your hair plugs.

seebee

Even in the year the Sox were supposed to be shitty, they exceed expectations. I think after next year, the Cubs will stop paying Zambrano and Soriano, so their albatrosses will be lifted - unless they re-sign them. Next year tho, the Cubs might lose even more games.

So anyway, Sox collapse? No argument from this Sox fan. Though I will say the season was a great surprise. I never, for one second counted out the Tigers winding up in 1st. Too much talent over there on O and D (and by D, I mean the pitching - their fielding was definitely not the greatest, but Scherzer, Fister, and CY Verlander are all aces.) So, collapse? Yup! If we had a healthy Danks, this whole thread would not exist. And yes, I know, that's pointless to say. I'm glad, however, to root for a team where the brass makes decent business decisions. The Soriano and Zambarano signings have to be way up there in the worst signing in baseball history. The Cubs org should turn it around soon enough tho. You have to admit, however, the Cubs organization was spitting in the faces of the fans for years, and since the drunks were filling up the stands for the big "let's be seen" party, who could blame them?

seebee

The Jackal

Quote from: Robert Pauly on October 02, 2012, 01:50:43 PM
My Bronx allegiance is older than some of your hair plugs.

BZZZZZZTTTTTTTT!!!!!!

Wrong guy.

If there's something I have quite a bit of, its hair my friend. Furthermore, you aren't old enough for the aforemnetioned to be true if in fact I DID sport plugs.

The Jackal

Quote from: seebee on October 02, 2012, 01:57:42 PM
Even in the year the Sox were supposed to be shitty, they exceed expectations. I think after next year, the Cubs will stop paying Zambrano and Soriano, so their albatrosses will be lifted - unless they re-sign them. Next year tho, the Cubs might lose even more games.

So anyway, Sox collapse? No argument from this Sox fan. Though I will say the season was a great surprise. I never, for one second counted out the Tigers winding up in 1st. Too much talent over there on O and D (and by D, I mean the pitching - their fielding was definitely not the greatest, but Scherzer, Fister, and CY Verlander are all aces.) So, collapse? Yup! If we had a healthy Danks, this whole thread would not exist. And yes, I know, that's pointless to say. I'm glad, however, to root for a team where the brass makes decent business decisions. The Soriano and Zambarano signings have to be way up there in the worst signing in baseball history. The Cubs org should turn it around soon enough tho. You have to admit, however, the Cubs organization was spitting in the faces of the fans for years, and since the drunks were filling up the stands for the big "let's be seen" party, who could blame them?

A helthy Danks would have meant squat. He was mediocre last year and would have been the same this year. If you had Danks, chances are you wouldn't have seen Quintana.

You also conveniently disregard the fact you got a career (ahem, steriod enhanced?) Year from your catcher and completely unexpected years from Dunn, Rios and Peavy (health wise).

Fact is, the Tigers are flat out a better team. And even in a horse crap division, Bridgeport couldn't secure a wild card spot...despite the luxury of feasting on patsies like cleveland, kc and minnesota 18 times a year.

As for the cubs, zambranos contract was spot on at the time it was signed. Soriano was a mistake, at least the length of the contract was...as he had an MVP type year in 2012....but a mistake spurred on by the Tribs desire to boost the clubs sale price, not the result of a purley baseball decision. You want to see bad baseball decisions, just take a look at Bridgeport trading away a home grown 20 game winner (Gio Gonzalez) not once but TWICE. Brilliant....absolutely brilliant!!!