News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

The Great Bridgeport Collapse of 2012

Started by The Jackal, October 02, 2012, 08:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitesoxfan

It's all in fun (I hope). My father was a huuuuuuuuuuge Cubs fan. He was at Wrigley to see them for their last 2 World Series appearances in 1938 and 1945. My parents tried to raise me as a Cubs
fan but in 1977, the South Side Hit Men stole the show for me and I've been a Sox fan ever since. Now that I have 2 boys, I'm so afraid that Karma is going to hit me hard and they will both be Cubs fans. I remember in 1984 when the Cubs lost to the Padres and the look on my Mom and Dad's faces when they lost and us Sox fans were just rubbing it in, they were crushed. What they couldn't remember was that just a year earlier they did they same thing to me. Anyways, I swore that I would never "rub it in"  again. When I purchased the bar from my mother in 1994 I saw a whole new world. I mean, I knew Cubs and Sox fans argued but being at the bar every day I now seen it ALL THE TIME, much more intense, everyday. I still say that I would never rub it in after a dramatic loss.  Now that the Sox have won a World Series, I truly do want the Cubs to win one.  I have too many friends, family and customers that deserve that awesome feeling, it would be wonderful for them. But as long as they are losing, I will try not to argue, but it's hard. 
Please visit the Garv Inn on Facebook

Bonster

Quote from: whitesoxfan on October 05, 2012, 02:21:40 PM
It's all in fun (I hope).

It is.  At least with me it is. 
Come on, this shit's fun! :D

I will say this: for as much as we've argued (in this thread) I think Mike is truly one of the fairest people around and has never made anyone feel uncomfortable at his place; a testament to the quality of Chicago sports fans from ANY side.  I've always enjoyed tipping one back at his place for games of all sports, all teams.  Thanks for that, Mike.  You are one of the good guys.

Quote from: whitesoxfan on May 10, 2007, 05:32:28 PM
Fyi - fellow White Sox and Cub Fans - There is a White Sox neon on one end of the bar and a Cubs neon on the other. you can always tell if your team has won their last game by simply looking to see if the light is on. If it is off, that means they lost. Now, normally we keep both lights on through out the off season but we had to keep the Cubs light off from Oct. 2005 - April 2006 while the World Series Champions light remained on.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

whitesoxfan

Thank you for that. It truly is fun, it's part of living in the Chicago area. For the record, the Cubs neon that was on one side of the bar mysteriously disappeared. Now, I know what your thinking but I honestly, truly had nothing to do with it. I have been trying to get a new one but to no avail. It doesn't help that my bartenders are probably a 3 to 1 ratio Cubs fans to Sox fans so they ain't saying anything about where it might be.
Please visit the Garv Inn on Facebook

Ted

Quote from: The Jackal on October 02, 2012, 09:01:46 AM
That was the WHOLE IDEA...to tear it completely apart and hit rock bottom. Now I suppose we could have resigned Ramirez and Pena, kept , Marsahall, Dempster and Maholm....and maybe added another over the hill vet (like Youkilis?), but the end result would have been the same......NO PLAYOFFS. .. 

How'd that work out for the Bulls in 1999?   ::)

The run to the bottom was an awful strategy.  The only reason the Bulls recovered from that was due to a lucky draw in the draft that brought them Derek Rose.

The Jackal

Well, it isn't necvessary in the NBA. YOu're comparing apples to oranges. NBA teams don't have a farm system they need to restock. Furthermore, one or two players in the NBA can turn you completely around. Not so in MLB. Lastly, simpy because Krause didn't succeed in HIS rebuilding effort doesn't mean Epstein and Co will not. In any event, the Bulls simply weren't "lucky" to draft Rose....they got into draft position to do so b/c they had such a bad record, no?

Ted

Quote from: The Jackal on October 06, 2012, 08:23:41 AM
they got into draft position to do so b/c they had such a bad record, no?

Yeah, but they had high draft choices in 1999 and the early 2000's as well and that didn't bring much.

The Jackal

True, but 1) that's their own fault, not the draft process' fault, and 2) the nba draft has only two rounds, the mlb draft has what, 30 or 40 some rounds?

seebee

Ok, scroo baseball for this year. Let's no longer talk about how shitty the Cubs are, or how awesome the Sox are. We no longer need debate how the Cubs organization is completely inept, and how the Sox org is just simply superior in all ways. I think we should focus on...

Da Bears!!

Plenty of season left, and Jax is a bunch of pansies, I know, but, seriously, what a difference a real NFL receiver makes, and the defense has enough to stifle other teams. If GB can't get their shizz together, watch out.