Berwyn Park District Receives LaCrosse Grant

Started by Jeff Janda, October 11, 2012, 04:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Janda

Berwyn Park District Awarded National US Lacrosse First Stick Grant

CHICAGO, October 9, 2012 - US Lacrosse announced 102 teams nationwide have been awarded development grants through the 2012 First Stick Program.

The Berwyn Park District was one of only three applicants accepted in the entire state of Illinois and the only Park District in the nation accepted for this grant.
This national USL initiative is designed to deliver comprehensive resources, equipment, US Lacrosse membership and coaches training to awarded teams. The program is geared for new and developing youth and high school lacrosse teams nationwide.

"We congratulate each of these recipients because there was a very rigorous application and selection process for the program," said Billy Hook, USL's Director of Programs. "The benefits of this program are all encompassing and provide all the tools necessary to help new teams become truly self-sustaining."

The Berwyn Park District will now begin a two-year partnership with US Lacrosse, during which time the national organization will help to develop a self-sustaining lacrosse program that operates by US Lacrosse's national standards and best practices. The program will be accepting registration in spring 2013.

The program will be led by the Berwyn Park District's Recreation Programmer Darrell Houston who wrote the grant. Darrell was captain of his high school lacrosse team at Wheaton Warrenville South and played at the University of Illinois. Currently, Darrell plays as a defenseman for the Dupage Rangers Lacrosse team.

Berwyn Park District
where park meets city

jfrickind

Cool.  Now let's get a Cricket pitch.  Because I know about the same amount of information about both sports, 0.2%.  I know the fact that they are both sports.  And use wacky bats.  I'm up to 0.42% because of the wacky bats knowledge.

Bonster

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

OakParkSpartan

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Ted

Girl's laCrosse is a big sport in high school and college. Northwestern has been the champs for several years.  My niece played it in high school and it was not for the faint of heart.