News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Election Day

Started by Ted, November 06, 2012, 06:31:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

I voted for Clinton.  Trump does not have either the temperament nor the experience to be President.  Clinton also received 2 million more votes than Trump.  Time to do away with the electoral college.

As for the ACA, I want to see how Trump stills allows people with pre-existing conditions to be able to get health coverage and still drive down the costs.  Without younger people signing up, I do not see how that happens.

The nation should have instituted a single payer system - I know many corporations want to get out of the business of providing health care.

markberwyn

Quote from: Ted on December 06, 2016, 07:36:21 AM
Time to do away with the electoral college.

Not OK with this. Everybody knew the rules going in, and I think it's a bad idea to have a system where the candidate who wins the cities wins the election. If the Democrats want firmer control of government policy and more leadership positions, they can work harder to make their case to rural and depressed areas of the country.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: markberwyn on December 06, 2016, 10:27:11 AM
Quote from: Ted on December 06, 2016, 07:36:21 AM
Time to do away with the electoral college.

Not OK with this. Everybody knew the rules going in, and I think it's a bad idea to have a system where the candidate who wins the cities wins the election. If the Democrats want firmer control of government policy and more leadership positions, they can work harder to make their case to rural and depressed areas of the country.
For once, I do agree with you. 

berwyn senator

For years there has been talk about changing the electoral college will never be accomplished.

berwyn senator

Now the shit is happening in Berwyn,flyers on the porch door bells ringing!

berwyn senator

Years back the Democrats were for the unions and middle America,things change with the Clintons.

Ted

Quote from: berwyn senator on January 21, 2017, 09:48:00 PM
Now the shit is happening in Berwyn,flyers on the porch door bells ringing!

There is a contested local primary election in Berwyn in February in the Democratic primary between two slates of candidates - the DCOB (Bobby Lovero's organization) and the Berwyn United organization, led by current 6th ward alderman Ted Polashek running for mayor and current 3rd ward alderman Marge Paul running for city clerk (as well as slates for aldermen and township positions).

Why is that "shit" to you?  That is democracy, candidates going door to door engaging potential voters on their positions.

Are you not interested in the local mayoral and aldermanic race?

Berwyn Senator, I find it interesting that you bitch and moan and complain about a lot of things in Berwyn (e.g. alleys, Cermak Road, etc.) yet you are not interested in the fact that there is a local municipal election going on or who is running for office or what their positions and promises are.

berwyn senator

I not afraid to say I will vote for Lovero,are they perfect no one is but all the years in Berwyn these past years have been fine. I went through four years of O'Conner's bullshit that was enough.These new people with no experience promise the moon and do not have the ability to run a town.We had two terrible aldermen in the first ward so I am tired of listening to their foolish promises that they never can accomplish. I still reserve the wright to complaint about Cermak Rd.because it still looks like hell and I feel much more can be done to improve the street.Was your alley repaved? hope not.I was born in Berwyn and have seen the best and the not so good. Democracy you say ok, so I have my rights! thank you from a grouchy resident.When was the Berwyn United Organization formed and who is behind the group,just wondering.

markberwyn

"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

Ted

Quote from: berwyn senator on January 22, 2017, 02:40:46 PM
I not afraid to say I will vote for Lovero,are they perfect no one is but all the years in Berwyn these past years have been fine. I went through four years of O'Conner's bullshit that was enough.These new people with no experience promise the moon and do not have the ability to run a town.We had two terrible aldermen in the first ward so I am tired of listening to their foolish promises that they never can accomplish. I still reserve the wright to complaint about Cermak Rd.because it still looks like hell and I feel much more can be done to improve the street.Was your alley repaved? hope not.I was born in Berwyn and have seen the best and the not so good. Democracy you say ok, so I have my rights! thank you from a grouchy resident.When was the Berwyn United Organization formed and who is behind the group,just wondering.

That's fine.  Vote for whomever you want.  But it is not "shit". It is democracy.

And, as Mark said, if you want to find out about the candidates on either side, go to the forum.

btw, I remember you praising Al Kveton 4 years ago.  Al was an IVB guy, not a Lovero guy.

Who are you planning on voting for for alderman?  Just curious

Ted

Quote from: berwyn senator on January 22, 2017, 02:40:46 PM
... These new people with no experience ... 

Actually, both Teddy Polashek (who is running mayor) and Marge Paul (who is running for City Clerk) have served on the city council for the past 8 years.  You may not like them but they do have experience.

berwyn senator

Yes Alan was a great guy did a superb job would have my vote again where was O'conner's party to give him the support he needed?Maybe I use the wrong terminology about politics.I will vote straight Democratic. Berwyn has a history of new people running, slinging plenty of mud, making plenty of promises if they reach office, nothing! Where is there loyalty to their party maybe they don't want to wait their turn? What ever happened to the Republican party? We should have two parties.

Ted

Quote from: berwyn senator on January 22, 2017, 06:49:37 PM
What ever happened to the Republican party? We should have two parties.

No one runs as a Republican in local politics because they tend to lose.  The "action" for the past 2 elections is in the Democratic party primary.  That is why there are two slates running in the Democratic primary.

If you live in the 1st ward, then you have an open seat because Nona Chapman is retiring.

berwyn senator

Nona retiring from what?Is she getting a pension?Yes I will research the two candidates running for alderman, and you convinced me to attend the forum.Proven the party doesn't always pick the best candidate,as with Alan he was the best assessor in Berwyn worked excellent with the residents.Hell with the party pick the best man.Never happens,1st. ward we were  stuck with two terrible aldermen,the last one never did nothing for the ward but get paid.The other was arrogant.

markberwyn

Quote from: Ted on January 23, 2017, 07:23:37 AM
What ever happened to the Republican party? We should have two parties.

No one runs as a Republican in local politics because they tend to lose.  The "action" for the past 2 elections is in the Democratic party primary.  That is why there are two slates running in the Democratic primary.

Also, if you wanted to vote Republican in Berwyn in recent years, your sole option was Anthony Castrogiovanni, an idea-free conservative who never gave a clear statement on anything. I recall asking him for a fact-sheet about his background as a public servant, and he snippily replied that unless I was going to offer him a job I was out of line to make that request. He also claimed he could trim Berwyn's budget in hugely-type ways, but never said how he'd do so; fearing he would shut down the fire department if he ever came to power, I never voted for him.

Ted

Yes Alan was a great guy did a superb job would have my vote again where was O'conner's party to give him the support he needed?... 

Actually, you have your facts wrong.  Al Kveton and Mage Paul were the only two members of the IVB to win election in 2009 (Al was unopposed).  All other IVB candidate were defeated in that election.  Al lost in the 2013 election when he ran in the Democratic primary.

Ted

Quote from: berwyn senator on January 23, 2017, 09:31:36 AM
Nona retiring from what?Is she getting a pension? 

Nona is retiring from being an alderman.  She is not running for re-election. I don't think aldermen receive pensions for their work as aldermen.

berwyn senator

Anthony! have not heard that name in along while don't want to know him. I don't believe Alan had strong support, he wasn't in with the old guard.

George Lambesis

Quote from: Ted on January 23, 2017, 05:18:52 PM
Yes Alan was a great guy did a superb job would have my vote again where was O'conner's party to give him the support he needed?... 

Actually, you have your facts wrong.  Al Kveton and Mage Paul were the only two members of the IVB to win election in 2009 (Al was unopposed).  All other IVB candidate were defeated in that election.  Al lost in the 2013 election when he ran in the Democratic primary.

I think Al ran unopposed, because Marge Paul had the DCOB candidate kicked off of the ballot.

Ted

Quote from: George Lambesis on January 23, 2017, 09:39:29 PM
I think Al ran unopposed, because Marge Paul had the DCOB candidate kicked off of the ballot.

I think you are confusing the school board election with the assessor election (but I could be wrong). I thought Marge challenged David Avila's candidacy in a school board election.

I don't think David Avila had yet been certified in 2009 to be able to run for assessor.