News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Garv's closing

Started by justme, November 29, 2012, 07:40:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justme

My friend goes there often and told me that Garv's will be closing down but he didn't know exactly when. I have never been there but was surprised to hear this because I thought they were doing well....seems as if they were always busy when I have driven by.

renovatorbear

Sorry to hear that after all the work they put in.  We've always had the opposite impression tho.  Seems like it's not busy when we drive by.  There's typically been lots of empty parking places available. Hope someone else will be able to make a success of that space.

OakParkSpartan

Crap.

That sucks.  Mike is a good guy.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

moose

I've been in there only twice since the big remodeling, once it was packed and the other time it was empty, it will be a shame if it closes, it's a Berwyn icon!
Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them. - Dr Seuss

justme

Quote from: renovatorbear on November 29, 2012, 08:19:22 AM
Sorry to hear that after all the work they put in.  We've always had the opposite impression tho.  Seems like it's not busy when we drive by.  There's typically been lots of empty parking places available. Hope someone else will be able to make a success of that space.

Of course I usually only go by later Saturday nights so I don't know how they do otherwise. Obviously if they are only busy at that time, there is no way to survive.

Like I said, I have never gone but when I mention Berwyn people will usually bring up Fitzgerald's or Garv's so I assumed that it was a well established business. I'm hoping that maybe someone here has more info...I asked my friend a few times to make sure that he was sober enough and got his story straight!  ;D

whitesoxfan

Not true. I have had several people tell me that same rumor.
Please visit the Garv Inn on Facebook

NYWREB

Yay!  Glad its not true.  It's a great place to hang out after a softball game!

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: whitesoxfan on November 29, 2012, 09:25:58 AM
Not true. I have had several people tell me that same rumor.

Good to hear Mike!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

LOL

Glad it's not true. . . I just saw their ad in the Festival of Lights insert thing (in the local Sun Times), so I was thinking it probably wasn't. *whew*  Now if hockey would just start up again, I would go there more!
The word gullible isn't in the dictionary?

moose

Just saw on Facebook that they are closed, I know that rumors have floated around before, but this time it may be true.

Bonster

"We are saddened to announce that after 45 years we have closed our doors today. We hope all our
wonderful customers understand this was not an easy decision to make. We have loved being a part
of the Berwyn community & being the place where so many of you have made memories throughout
the years. Always remember to, live a little..."
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Wilson

:'(. I was afraid that was going to happen.

pkd50

It was more than a neighborhood dive bar back in the day.  It was a community center of sorts for two or three generations of Berwynites.  It really was a place "where everybody knew your name"  Every wake or wedding ended there.  The turkey bowl, St Pat's corned beef, Houby Day cookout, opening day bus trip, St Leonard Class reunions started and ended there, softball, basketball tournaments at the rec wound up there.  Non drinkers would come in to be around neighbors.  My husband didn't drink a drop for the last 11 yrs of his life, but hardly missed a day without being in Garv's.    Regulars died off, some moved out of state, some of us drifted out of Berwyn for many different reasons.  On Facebook we all agreed, that when we came back these past few years, it wasn't the same, but neither were we.  The remodel looked great.  New bar for new people.  However, "nobody knew our name" anymore.  We had our time, and I so hoped that the new Berwynites would have multi generations making their good times at Windsor & East.  It didn't happen for whatever reason.  Maybe times and tastes are different now, and this town has many more options available these days.  Ask any of the regulars that range from their 30s to their 70s and they will say that they were grateful to the entire Garvin Family for the fun and memories that dive bar gave us.

berwynres

Didn't they receive TIF funds recently for the remodel?   If so, does the city or the BDC conduct any type of analysis to determine whether the business is viable, or whether the business is succeeding or failing before it hands out the money?  How many dollars have been thrown at businesses in the Depot District by the BDC over the past ten years that didn't have a chance in hell of surviving?  Their track record is pretty awful.

Ted

Pat, where are you going to watch Sox games next season?

pkd50

When back in Berwyn, some of the old regulars go to a small bar on Ridgeland around 27th.  I've never been there.  I don't go out much at night, which was why Garv's was great.  It was just a walk down the alley, and fun watching with a group.    My son has seats at Comiskey, so I do day games.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: pkd50 on October 07, 2013, 08:07:31 AM
When back in Berwyn, some of the old regulars go to a small bar on Ridgeland around 27th.  I've never been there.  I don't go out much at night, which was why Garv's was great.  It was just a walk down the alley, and fun watching with a group.    My son has seats at Comiskey, so I do day games.
"Comiskey" - LOL.  I catch myself about about to say Comiskey when I should say the Cell or Cellular Field all the time.  That OK though.  I'm still calling Willis Tower the Sears Tower too.  It's a shame when a neighborhood place closes down.  I was in there once last February for my sister's birthday and it seemed to be a good neighborhood bar.  Times are still very hard for many bars and restaurants no matter how much we hear that the economy has improved.   

exPROPer

Anyone know what will happen to Giovanni's?

nuome1

Quote from: exPROPer on October 07, 2013, 07:44:43 PM
Anyone know what will happen to Giovanni's?
[/quote                     

Giovanni's is still open inside for carry out delivery or dine in.  708-795-5500

moose

I drove past Garv's last night, looked open, lights were on, TV's were on, people inside.