News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

Bicyclist struck by truck in Berwyn

Started by justme, December 05, 2012, 07:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justme

http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/2012/12/04/bicyclist-struck-by-truck-in-berwyn-long-delays-reported-on-26th-street/abwggy6/

A bicyclist was injured after being struck by a truck at 5:15 p.m. Monday at the intersection of 26th Street and East Avenue in Berwyn, causing traffic delays for more than two hours.

The bicyclist was riding north to cross 26th Street when he was struck by the truck as it turned left off of East Avenue.

Berwyn Fire Chief Denis O'Halloran said the victim was unconscious when taken to the Loyola University Medical Center Trauma Unit. The victim is in critical condition on life support, officials said.

Emergency responders cleared the area at 7:25 p.m. Monday.

No other information is available at this time.

I have seen the way drivers treat the people on bikes here and there's no way on this earth I would want to ride, let alone during rush hour. Although I will admit that many on the bikes are exactly perfect "drivers" themselves, darting the wrong way through traffic and through stop signs. But in any event, this is tragic

~LL~

This is sad but it does seem that many bicylists go along  the streets without being at all cautious or even respectful of such as Stop signs and pedestrians -- perhaps assuming that motorists must always look out for them regardless.

What with sidewalks being virtually pedestrian free -- especially in residential areas -- I do not understand why bicyclists don't use the  sidewalks.  I would think it would up the odds of getting where they need to go without being creamed by a motor vehicle.  One guy I see regularly in the Riverside/North Riverside area rides a strange 2-wheel bike-like contraption -- but the seat is practically 12" from the pavement and his knees come up nearly to his eye level when he peddals along.  If he is along side of me in my Jeep, I can barely see him in time to see whether he is going to zoom in front of me, etc.   How on earth is this contraption legal to drive on a public roadway?
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

Bonster

Quote from: ~LL~ on December 05, 2012, 08:44:02 PM
What with sidewalks being virtually pedestrian free -- especially in residential areas -- I do not understand why bicyclists don't use the  sidewalks. 
I thought you're not supposed to ride bikes on the sidewalks? 

I actually prefer to bike the alleys over the streets.  I don't trust the txt'rs...
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bonster

Quote from: justme on December 05, 2012, 07:56:26 PM
I have seen the way drivers treat the people on bikes here and there's no way on this earth I would want to ride, let alone during rush hour. Although I will admit that many on the bikes are exactly perfect "drivers" themselves, darting the wrong way through traffic and through stop signs. But in any event, this is tragic

That about sums it up...

~LL~

Quote from: B o n s t e r on December 05, 2012, 11:20:46 PM
What with sidewalks being virtually pedestrian free -- especially in residential areas -- I do not understand why bicyclists don't use the  sidewalks. 

I actually prefer to bike the alleys over the streets.  I don't trust the txt'rs...

I think you  are right about bikes  on sidewalks -- and if so I feel that rule-of-the-road is outdated and needs to be examined.  There are extremely few pedestrians walking in residential neighborhoods.  Bike riding on sidewalks in business districts should be prohibitied - but in residential areas, I still feel  it is the safer place for the cyclist AND motorists.

And, BTW -- recently a bike rider nearly ran right into my moving vehicle on Longcommon Road as he carelessly swerved scarily close to passenger side; not only was he texting while cycling -- he was plugged into his IPod thingie which likely prevented hm from hearing me disgrace myself with some choice words directed his way.  Oh, and it was during the evening - and he had absolutely no reflective gear on himself or the bike.  About the only thing I really saw was the light from his phone until we both got under one of the few -- and very dim -- streetlights in Riverside.  MFer caused my life to flash before me -- but, of course, I got the finger vs. an apology.

I think you are very wise to travel the alleys.  Got to be  even  safer than roads and sidewalks.

EC

~LL~

dukesdad

justme

Considering that in many areas of Berwyn they don't even enforce having vehicle stickers, I think that you could get away with riding on the sidewalks  ;)

I'm wondering what the exact circumstances were. How fast was the truck going and how big was it  to put someone on life support? Sounds like pretty fast and/or pretty big. I also wonder if the biker has reflectors or lights and whats/he was wearing (all black?gotta love when I see that!)

L8N

The bicyclist was going home to Oak Park after getting off of work. I know. I work with him. Based on what the article says, he was heading north on East crossing 26th. I'm assuming with the light because the article also says the truck was turning left off of East. It wouldn't surprise me if the light turned yellow and the truck driver raced to make the left turn assuming the road was clear without fully checking.

And the first time a little kid was taken out by a bicyclist riding on the sidewalk would put an end to that very quick.

Yes, some bicyclists ride like assholes. Some car/truck drivers drive like assholes, too. Pedestrians dart out into traffic. You still have to be aware of your surroundings when you drive.
Mulder: "Fear. It's the oldest tool of power. If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

L8N

And, as a jogger, I've almost been taken out a couple of times by drivers who come screaming out of alleys, too.
Mulder: "Fear. It's the oldest tool of power. If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

Wingnut

Either alley or sidewalk, a cyclist needs to come to nearly a stop at every cross street.  Virtually no one stops behind the stop sign/crosswalk.  Dedicated bike lanes are the only real solution but the economics don't support it.  I get disappointed when a new street is paved and the bike lane is not put in where possible.  Case in point would be 31st street repairs made a few years back.  I was biking Berwyn to Oak Brook for work.  The Salt Creek trail was a wonderful way to go but not time efficient.  "Share the road" will never work.  Just stand along Ogden and watch the people driving.  Would you really want to trust your life to them?           

Bonster

Quote from: Wingnut on December 06, 2012, 02:30:32 PM

Either alley or sidewalk, a cyclist needs to come to nearly a stop at every cross street.  Virtually no one stops behind the stop sign/crosswalk.  Dedicated bike lanes are the only real solution but the economics don't support it.  I get disappointed when a new street is paved and the bike lane is not put in where possible.  Case in point would be 31st street repairs made a few years back.  I was biking Berwyn to Oak Brook for work.  The Salt Creek trail was a wonderful way to go but not time efficient.  "Share the road" will never work.  Just stand along Ogden and watch the people driving.  Would you really want to trust your life to them?         

I'll bike the side streets, it's just the Oak Park Avenues that scare the hell out of me.  Living on it I've seen so many accidents on 13th and 14th, side swipes, my neighbor's door turned into an accordion by a texter.  I'm not so sure I'd even trust a bike lane in the Wild, Wild West. 

L8N

Just so you know, he is currently in surgery to have part of his skull removed, which should hopefully relieve his elevated intracranial pressure.

justme

Oh hell no I would never trust a bike lane around here. Heck even by the library , they have the "Stop for Pedestrians " walkway and drivers hardly ever stop. And then sometimes you have the ones who DO stop...when there is no pedestrian in sight  ::)

And then you get the ones that ride in the middle of the lane and bring traffic to a crawl. I was behind 2 of those on DesPlaines Ave. the other day.

But like I mentioned, it's both sides. Many time,drivers are too busy texting, eating , drunk or high (lol) and have no idea what's going on around them.

justme

Quote from: L8N on December 06, 2012, 04:48:17 PM
Just so you know, he is currently in surgery to have part of his skull removed, which should hopefully relieve his elevated intracranial pressure.

Geez that is just so awful. Thanks for keeping us posted about it.

Ted

chandasz

PamF

Quote from: ~LL~ on December 06, 2012, 07:27:59 AM

I think you  are right about bikes  on sidewalks -- and if so I feel that rule-of-the-road is outdated and needs to be examined.  There are extremely few pedestrians walking in residential neighborhoods.  Bike riding on sidewalks in business districts should be prohibitied - but in residential areas, I still feel  it is the safer place for the cyclist AND motorists.

And, BTW -- recently a bike rider nearly ran right into my moving vehicle on Longcommon Road as he carelessly swerved scarily close to passenger side; not only was he texting while cycling -- he was plugged into his IPod thingie which likely prevented hm from hearing me disgrace myself with some choice words directed his way.  Oh, and it was during the evening - and he had absolutely no reflective gear on himself or the bike.  About the only thing I really saw was the light from his phone until we both got under one of the few -- and very dim -- streetlights in Riverside.  MFer caused my life to flash before me -- but, of course, I got the finger vs. an apology.

I think you are very wise to travel the alleys.  Got to be  even  safer than roads and sidewalks.

Way too many idiot bikers and car drivers out there. You should never wear earphones of any type while riding!  I have also seen moron bike riders riding two abreast in traffic. That is asking to be hurt.

And it is illegal to ride on the sidewalks.

L8N

His intracranial pressure stabilized enough for him to have surgery today to work on his fractured leg. They put a plate in. But he is not out of the woods yet, and there is still the very real possibility of permanent damage to his brain. Only time will tell.

Also, apparently the driver was an 18-year-old with a learner's permit and no licensed driver in the car (but four other friends whom I'm sure were not distracting the driver in any way). And all the driver received was a traffic citation and a misdemeanor. Unbelievable.