All little league teams in Oak Park to be named "White Sox"

Started by Bonster, December 15, 2012, 05:13:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonster

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-oak-park-sox-uniforms-20121216,0,3310237.story

Elmhurst, Elmwood Park, and Downers Grove, too.
The sux are commie assholes with inferiority complexes, plain and simple. The Cubs sponsor little leagues and don't force ALL teams to use their name. Let's face it: they're paying to get fans.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

watcher

Quote from: B o n s t e r on December 15, 2012, 05:13:58 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-oak-park-sox-uniforms-20121216,0,3310237.story
Elmhurst, Elmwood Park, and Downers Grove, too.
The sux are commie assholes with inferiority complexes, plain and simple. The Cubs sponsor little leagues and don't force ALL teams to use their name. Let's face it: they're paying to get fans.

But, but, but... the Sox logo SCALED well in youth groups!

Somebody in the WSox marketing department is an idiot...
"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

seebee

There's some pretty funny stuff in that article, imo. I'd like to paraphrase the quotes, if I may.

"I don't really care if it was the White sox that approached us or the Cubs, or even if the Colorado Rockies had approached u$," sullivan said. "It would've been irresponsible of us as a league not to accept thi$ offer."

"Regarding the White Sox-Cubs rivalry, Boyers said it certainly exists, but the team found that the people in charge of the suburban youth leagues could $ee pa$t team loyaltie$ to the advantage$ that would come from a partner$hip."

"Even the most ardent Cubs fan, if they take a step back, would say thi$ is good for the league and that'$ all that matter$."

"Bill Sullivan, president of the Oak Park youth league, said details of the team names are still being worked out, but he expects some will carry names like "White Sox Yellow" or "White Sox Red." The teams that long carried the names of local sponsors will continue to do so, but instead of Cardell's Crushers it will be Cardell's Crushers Sox.

=======
Quit whining - what they are saying is that the word "Sox" will be on every uniform. Jebus!

On the surface, the headline does make it sound like some kind of Python skit.

Yes, the Sox are recruiting fans, but I think this will be more tame than it's being taken as. It sounds like it's win/win for everyone (except the whiners who don't know the details.) Little White Sox "sponsored by" patches on all uniforms seems like a better solution, but, I wonder if the $ the Sox are throwing at them, is for REAL, and basically the Sox could have probably dictated whatever they wanted, and the league would have agreed. They are already talking about what the money will allow them to do:

"Sullivan said he understands some parents' confusion or frustration with the decision, but he said money the league saves on uniforms will allow it to invest more in everything from field improvement and equipment to scholarships that will offset league fees so more children are able to play."

"The White Sox also will give coaches in all four suburbs free coaching clinics as well as training videos from the team's position coaches. And players will be able to attend White Sox baseball clinics and camps at reduced prices."

I'm guessing, as the league starts, and the benefits start becoming more visable, the naysayers will change their tune. Sure this quote is from Sox brass, but it does make sense if they are backing it with for real $:

"Even the most ardent Cubs fan, if they take a step back, would say this is good for the league and that's all that matters."

Sure, they are paying for fans, BUT, they are also doing something GREAT for the kids, AND parents, it seems. They are not making anyone GO to games, or begrudgingly put Sox flags in front of their house, or paint Sox logos on the side of their minivans, or get a "PAULIE!" tat on their foreheads, or nipple rings that say "Bring Back #56" or anything.

dukesdad

Making the kids get Sox tattoos is not a bad idea. After they won the Series, I was 1 beer away from getting a Sox logo tattooed on my calf. Kinda wish I had.

Bonster

Quote from: seebee on December 15, 2012, 09:27:47 AM
Yes, the Sox are recruiting fans, but I think this will be more tame than it's being taken as. It sounds like it's win/win for everyone (except the whiners who don't know the details.) Little White Sox "sponsored by" patches on all uniforms seems like a better solution, but, I wonder if the $ the Sox are throwing at them, is for REAL, and basically the Sox could have probably dictated whatever they wanted, and the league would have agreed. They are already talking about what the money will allow them to do:
Sure, they are paying for fans, BUT, they are also doing something GREAT for the kids, AND parents, it seems.
Sure...it's great for the kids and parents when I fund a whore, but she has to do whatever I want.

Yes, the sox ARE dictating whatever they want, and they want the ridiculous:  every team is named the White Sox.  Patches... no - full-sized advertisements on the back of every uniform would make complete sense. 
Even if the Cubs were good and had won the Series in my lifetime I wouldn't want to see every team named "Cubs."  Hell, our town didn't even have the Cubs or Sox just to avoid any of this. 

watcher (Sox fan), you're right, it's the marketing dept., not the entire organization, which usually purports itself with dignity and class.

seebee

He expects the teams to be named thusly:

"Bill Sullivan, president of the Oak Park youth league, said details of the team names are still being worked out, but he expects some will carry names like "White Sox Yellow" or "White Sox Red." The teams that long carried the names of local sponsors will continue to do so, but instead of Cardell's Crushers it will be Cardell's Crushers Sox."

Not every team will be named "White Sox."

And I don't think funding yute baseball is comparable to buying a whore. There's something not quite right about that. Generally, nothing good ever comes out of buying a whore. On the surface, this little league funding sounds like the parents and kids are going to benefit with training and equipment for years to come. Whores usually go get a hit of heroin when they get their funding.

Again, the article states that they are NOT going to name every team The White Sox, but, every team name will have the three letter word "Sox" in the title. (Kinda makes me think of the "Spam" Python skit for some reason.)

Bonster

Quote from: dukesdad on December 15, 2012, 09:44:17 AM
Making the kids get Sox tattoos is not a bad idea. After they won the Series, I was 1 beer away from getting a Sox logo tattooed on my calf. Kinda wish I had.

You should have.  You still should.  What are you afraid of? 
You are not embarrassed about being a sox fan and it's not going to be Hawk Harrelson's face!  :o

Bonster

Quote from: seebee on December 15, 2012, 10:16:07 AM
He expects the teams to be named thusly:

"Bill Sullivan, president of the Oak Park youth league, said details of the team names are still being worked out, but he expects some will carry names like "White Sox Yellow" or "White Sox Red." The teams that long carried the names of local sponsors will continue to do so, but instead of Cardell's Crushers it will be Cardell's Crushers Sox."

Not every team will be named "White Sox."

No. 
What they call themselves and what is actually on the uniforms are two different things.  The older kids will be wearing variations of actual White Sox uniforms (white with black pinstripes, grey, throwbacks, etc.),  some with local sponsors (i.e. "Cardell's Crushers") as a patch.  The 60+ teams at the lower levels will all be variations of the White Sox (green,  blue, yellow, mauve).

buzz

Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

seebee

Quote from: buzz on December 15, 2012, 10:43:23 AM
Quote from: seebee on December 15, 2012, 10:16:07 AM
Generally, nothing good ever comes out of buying a whore.
you are so wrong

I was wondering how many minutes it would take.

seebee

Quote from: B o n s t e r on December 15, 2012, 10:33:41 AM
No. 
What they call themselves and what is actually on the uniforms are two different things.  The older kids will be wearing variations of actual White Sox uniforms (white with black pinstripes, grey, throwbacks, etc.),  some with local sponsors (i.e. "Cardell's Crushers") as a patch.  The 60+ teams at the lower levels will all be variations of the White Sox (green,  blue, yellow, mauve).

I didn't get that from the linked article, but if you researched more and that is the case, then it might be a little awkward, indeed - depending on the actual outcome. I still think the folks may change their tune once they start seeing the improvements.

dukesdad